Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

Surely then he is not going to sign a new contract for the exact same wage.. He is going to want an increase, maybe

It absolutely depends what he can get elsewhere. Rangers won't beat what we can pay, if they can sign anybody, and I am not aware of the Spanish clubs outside of the big 2 and Real Mallorca being able to offer any more than we can. So unless Anzi Maka .... (whatever) or PSG are in for him I would have thought there is a deal to be done at a lower level than £40k in the current austere climate.

his mate on here said he'd happily sign up for a new term on the same wages if he was going to be played. if we can get him to stay it'd be fantastic. he and clark could be a good solid partnership i think, though id play with him and dunne initially next season and phase clark in over the course of the first 6 months of the season

He really isnt that good is he?

I'd argue that he's the best centre half we have along with potentially Clark.

I'd agree with you. :winkold:

Does that me it's me and you against the whole of VT in the keep Cuellar campaign?! :)

id be in your camp on this one too tbh

carlos-cuellar-image-1-288873805.jpg

Anyone else think that the merchandising team have missed an opportunity? I would happily fork over cold, hard cash for a signature King Carlos sombrero and rainbow poncho.

I'm still waiting for Makoun's signature sweater to hit the shelves.

We're going to give him a 5 year deal and 55k a week aren't we

This is the only thing worrying me.

When it comes to contracts the club is truly awful at getting things right.

2-3 year extension is all that we should offer.. 32/33 is a good age for him to find another club and probably go back home (Spain) imo.

I want him to stay and if the club offered a 3 year deal and he accepted i'd be happy.

carlos-cuellar-image-1-288873805.jpg

Anyone else think that the merchandising team have missed an opportunity? I would happily fork over cold, hard cash for a signature King Carlos sombrero and rainbow poncho.

Oh yes me too or a Montera complete with sword and cuddly bull, an awesome present for any eight year old :D

I'm all for Carlos staying for another couple of years, as long as one of/both of Dunne or Collins is off in the summer. We've never really seen in have a run of games in his best position. Good asset for the club and seems like a good geezer who gets on with business too unlike a few of our troublemakers.

This would be great news if a sensible deal can be negotiated. Carlos is potentially our best and most consistent defender. Because of his infectious and positive character he seems loved by fans and other players alike. He must be a positive influence on the dressing room.

Whilst Villa desperately need to clear out the high earning 'dross' in the summer and rebuild, if the chance occurs to retain Carlos for another year or two, within a new more viable and sensible wage structure; they should take it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought his thread deserved a bump for the excellent mazey run which created the goal yesterday. I didn't understand what I was watching. He seemed to have screwed it up at the end by blasting the pass into Zog's feet, but Zog was either lucky or skilful enough to turn it into a great first touch and set up.

Cuellar was also solid at the back with some timely interventions. News of a one or two year contract extension would be one of the few silver linings to this manure pile of a season.

Â