Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

The thing is Carlos has shown he can play well at Centre half when required. I thought him and Dunne were very good at CB against Arsenal just before xmas and kept RVP quiet.

Just baffles me really why Collins pretty much always is an automatic pick.

Just baffles me really why Collins pretty much always is an automatic pick.

Probably because Dunney prefers to be paired with his drinking buddy?

Other than that, I can think of no good reason.

Love Carlos to bits but he was really poor today...constantly getting sucked into the ball and missing tackles.

Dunney I thought was really good until the first penalty which was a stupid challenge as I think the ball was going through to Given anyway. Should've been sent off for that.

I thought he was good in the first half despite a small error or two. He put in 2 nice ground balls, one of which should have had Bent one on one. I saw him being nice and accurate with his long passing too.

Second half, he was poor. Didn't look too sharp whenever the responsibility fell on him to make a tackle or interception. I think he and Dunne still outperformed Warnock and Hutton, not that that was difficult. He's a better option than Collins and I think he'd play even better when chosen with less irregularity.

Love Carlos to bits but he was really poor today...constantly getting sucked into the ball and missing tackles.

Dunney I thought was really good until the first penalty which was a stupid challenge as I think the ball was going through to Given anyway. Should've been sent off for that.

He made a handful of good passes, including the aforementioned pass that Bent couldn't do anything with (should have been 1 on 1 w GK). In the 2nd half, the defense as whole was shocking. Carlos did make a good tackle on Henry 1 on 1 towards the end and you can't really blame a CB a whole lot when they have to have Hutton or Warnock one one side of them and constantly need to save them.

Carlos was probably the best or least crappy of the 4 defenders tonight.

Still think Collins, Dunne & Cuellar all need to be replaced.

This, and add Warnock ANC probably Hutton to that...our defence is truly awful.

Not being funny, but who is likely to sign them from us???

You'd be surprised. They're not terrible but cannot seem to play together no matter what combination we use. Cuellar is out of contract anyway in the summer so he'll be gone. I'd be very surprised if a QPR or Bolton wouldn't be interested in either Collins or Dunne.

He is much better with the ball at his feet now.

Just don't think his positioning and anticipation were that good today, two things he's usually really good at and much better at than Collins.

Those two things come with game time and Collins has had a lot more game time that Carlos this year

He wasn't great today to be honest. Very poor anticipation for first pen and caught out of position on a few occasions. This brings me back to the manager though - our defenders arn't great but for them all to be consistently error prone points to chronic problems with organisation.

I thought Cuellar was good today, best of the back 4 by far. Came out of it well.

I agree, thought he handled Cisse very well when they came up against each other.

Would anyone really be surprised though if Collins is fit for the weekend, he'll come in for Carlos though?!

I don't know if anyone saw this but...

All 2nd half, both Grant and McLeish were screaming at Carlos to hoof the ball to the strikers, despite their efforts Carlos ignored them playing the simple game keeping possession. I think I know who was right in this situation, well done Carlos...

However maybe this is why McLeish doesn't like him? It wasn't just once or twice they screamed at him 6 or 7 times much to my bemusement.

Â