Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

Is there any reason why we wouldn't offer him a new deal ?

Maybe Carlos dosen't want to sign one and wants to move on in the summer?

A while ago I read YankeeInMadrid (who knows Carlos a bit) say he was offered a new contract after the Chelsea home game last season (when he was an unused sub) and he refused as he correctly figured he wasn't going to be a first choice under Houllier.

I wouldn't be against giving him a two year new deal especially if we move Collins on in this window. Any more and that's a bit too much for a 31 year old and if he gets a 3 year deal from a La Liga team, then fair play let him move back home.

Cuellar----Collins-----dunne----warnock

This was the 4th best defence in the premier league during MoN's last season with us.

Houllier **** it up, let's hope Mcleish starts getting the defence back to its best now

After 19 games last season we'd conceded 34 goals. This season its down to 24. Now thats not great but it shows that McLeish may slowly be getting it right.

7 goals conceded in last 6 games against Man Utd, Bolton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Stoke and Chelsea is way better than many expected.

That goals against stat for those games is quite something. I was worried we may have conceded that amount in one game against any one of 4 teams in that list, that's how bad our defence was looking. I doubt there will be many teams who concede such a small amount of goals in those same fixtures this season, or any other!

Like a lot of others on here, I put it down to the fact that Carlos has been recalled to the team. He has always been a favourite of mine and gives his all whenever called upon. Why he has been left out so much is beyond me. I wish we could keep him by offering him a new contract but I just cannot help but think that his former manager is going to come calling at some point.

If we want to reduce our wage bill then let's get rid of Hutton. Cuellar is better, more versalite, more reliable, more popular with fans and plays with more passion.

Hutton, Heskey, Delph

............. vs ................

Cuellar, Wiemann, Gardner.

I reckon that'd be a substancial drop in wage bill, and an improvement in quality.

Cuellar is the best defender we have at the club bar none IMO. The board/manager should be breaking their necks to sign him up.

I agree with that... he steadies the ship too.

I dont think it is any coincidence that we've looked more solid at the back again since he has come in at rightback. Much better than Hutton anyway who for me is just a liability. Also bringing Clark into the midfield has added a bit more strength. About time though!

Cuellar is the best defender we have at the club bar none IMO. The board/manager should be breaking their necks to sign him up.

100% agree with this. I sometimes think I must be watching a different game to our managers because I can't remember a game or time when his form has ever warranted being dropped :(

100% agree with this. I sometimes think I must be watching a different game to our managers because I can't remember a game or time when his form has ever warranted being dropped :(

I think when he first came and was trying to get up to speed with the Premier League alongside Davies or Knight he looked poor BUT I think any CB would under those circumstances! Since then, he has definitely been our best defender IMO and should have had a lot more games.

It was always his distribution that let him down, it does seem to have markedly improved though

I can only really recall one wild swipe at the ball v Chelsea just before Torres hit the bar i think

Just wondered if anyone would care to comment on the raping he got for the second goal or is he still the best defender we have. I'm sure had it been Hutton the abuse would have lasted for weeks.

well, we're not fickle. Once we've made our mind up about someone it stays made up. See all the McLeish out calls today.

Just wondered if anyone would care to comment on the raping he got for the second goal or is he still the best defender we have. I'm sure had it been Hutton the abuse would have lasted for weeks.

To be fair Houlston that is the first mistake Carlos has made in 4 games, and even then it was because he was beaten for pace. Hutton has constantly made mistakes, even if they're not punished so the more he makes the more he's going to stand out.

He's been good at right back, he's a better defender than Hutton. I don't think he's a better central defender than Dunne by some distance and for me Collins is slightly better there too - but he's our best option at right back I think and I hope the injury he picked up doesn't keep him out long.

yes alex i will explain as you seem to be in denial with 99% of all villa fans on this board

cuellar got done for pace so showed the player inside, the player over hit the ball which gave collins an easy clearance. this is collins who was no more than 5 foot from the ball and closer to it that the attacker.

but no, instead of clear the ball, collins started moonwalking away from the ball, the attacker then got the ball and shot

while cuellar got done for pace which is not a huge issue, he showed the player inside, a manuevre used throughout the footballing world, the reasons for that are that there should be further defenders to beat.

there wasnt as collins backed off so the attacker got an easy goal.

if you want to blame someone, look towards collins because it was clearly 100% down to him that the attacker got the ball after he over hit it and also that collins did not even look to close the player down.

cuellar however having been out done for pace and not causing a penalty, still managed to try and put in a block... again something collins failed to do.

i hope that explains simple things to you alex, how you managed to get to manage our team i really dont know

maybe stan collymore will give you some tactical advise again on talk sport and we may then win or play decent football 1 more time before the season ends

That's nice brummybloke - and I haven't seen any replays yet so I'm not sure how much the rest of our defence is to blame for what went on once Routledge got into the box, but what I will say is that Cuellar didn't show Routledge inside; Routledge beat him on the outside and went round him into the box.

As I say, I'd like to see a replay before blaming Cuellar or indeed anyone else for what happened when he got there, but the danger and ultimately a deal of the responsibility for the goal lies with Cuellar getting beaten down the outside by Routledge - who incidentally deserves a lot of credit for a very good job of keeping the ball in play.

Against the top six: play Cuellar at right-back (backs-to-the-walls-job 'n' that).

Against the rest: Cuellar and Dunne in the middle and Hutton at right-back. Yes, Hutton has been poor for us, but he creates much more balance in our side. Against teams like Swansea, we need our full backs also offering a threat going forward. Having CC there unfortunately alleviates that threat down the right.

Â