Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

If only other players had the attitude of Cuellar. Taken from Sky Sports web site:

"If you give me some gloves I will play in goal, anything for the good of the team. For me the best feeling is being in the first team. I don't care where I play, for the team I will play anywhere."

Carlos Cuellar

Quotes of the week

Audley Harrison and David Haye used to talk alot too.

What a daft thing to say. :|

Let me explain, anyone can talk a good game, and say things people want to hear. But for me it is all about your actions.

Considering Warnock and Collins say **** all and are shit, what you say makes no sense.

Warnock and Collins dont come into the equation, they have nothing to do with this context. Davies was another who liked to say things in the media that he hoped would get people onside.

Sorry but Warnock and Collins actually do come into the equation, as they've both been Ecks first choice starting defenders for Aston Villa, and to be honest they've been bloody awful all season.

Audley Harrison and David Haye are both Boxers, they talk about knocking people out and winning titles, Carlos says nothing like that, he's just talking about his commitment to the team and his desire to be on the pitch no matter what position for Aston Villa.

What's Carlos supposed to say? Bollocks I can't be arsed and only want to play at centre back?

I still don't think the majority of the blame should go to CC for the corner.

Yes, Barry was his man and he lost him a bit, but if you watch the replay, Cuellar blocked off the area that was most dangerous for a goal. Barry wasn't going to score from that back post and so Cuellar rushed back to try to stop the ball back in.

Yet, it was Collins who decided to throw intelligence out the window and simply sprint after the ball in the air even though it was an area where it was obviously going to get headed back across if a City player got to it, thus leaving Lescott unmarked.

I place the majority of the blame on Collins in that situation and some of it on Cuellar.

It's just common sense.

What baffles me is that despite being our best experienced defender both Houllier and McLeish preferred the clowns Dunne and Collins to Cuellar. Why?

As did MON. Something must happen on the training ground where they both look better :?

Dunne is better than Cuellar to be fair.

Collins though, your guess is as good as mine.

Would disagree massively with this. Dunne is good for at least one massive f*ck up every game and it is pot luck in the PL whether you get away with it or not. Cuellar has been the model of consistency since he got over the shock of the difference in the game from Scotland and has been our best defender, IMO, for the past few years.

Would disagree massively with this. Dunne is good for at least one massive f*ck up every game and it is pot luck in the PL whether you get away with it or not. Cuellar has been the model of consistency since he got over the shock of the difference in the game from Scotland and has been our best defender, IMO, for the past few years.

I would say ALL our centre defenders can have strong games but are also prone to f**k ups that lead to goals...which is probably why they are playing for us rather than the top teams

I would say ALL our centre defenders can have strong games but are also prone to f**k ups that lead to goals...which is probably why they are playing for us rather than the top teams

Not sure what you class as a top team but they were good enough for one that were finishing top 6. Collins Dunne and Cuellar, alongside Warnock, in 2009/2010 made up the defence at the team with the fourth best defensive record in the Premier League.

What baffles me is that despite being our best experienced defender both Houllier and McLeish preferred the clowns Dunne and Collins to Cuellar. Why?

As did MON. Something must happen on the training ground where they both look better :?

I though that was just because MON prefers to play a centre back in the RB position and Cuellar has more ability to play there than Collins ever would have.

Not sure what you class as a top team but they were good enough for one that were finishing top 6. Collins Dunne and Cuellar, alongside Warnock, in 2009/2010 made up the defence at the team with the fourth best defensive record in the Premier League.

Yes Mark, we've heard this stat many times already. However, Dunne, Collins and Warnock have shown now for two seasons under two different managers that they're not good enough for a Villa side that's not even competing for the top 6 anymore. Even in 09/10 they slipped towards the end of the season. Dunne admittedly hasn't been too bad, but I don't think he's anywhere near as good as people make him out to be.

Agreed.

And wasn't it the first best until that Stamford Bridge horror show? Which was pretty late in the season too.

What? Do top teams never concede goals then? Isn't this just how football works?

What? Do top teams never concede goals then? Isn't this just how football works?

I think you have completely misconstrued my view. I'm not saying that the top teams don't concede goals, in fact I have said nothing of the sort. What I am saying is that defenders at top sides make less mistakes. Consistency helps seperate the top players from the average.

And wasn't it the first best until that Stamford Bridge horror show? Which was pretty late in the season too.

Cuellar was rested in that game as well. Cuellar's games to goals conceded ratio that season were amazing but Dunne and Collins got all the praise for some reason

In talks for a new contract, wahey!

Great news. Lets hope with Dunne out for the next few months Carlos finally gets a good extended run in the team under McLeish. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Carlos is out of contract in the summer and is eligible to sign a pre-contract with any club not based in England. It's a bit ridiculous that its taken this long for the club to realize Carlos is deserving of a new contract. Got to feel bad for the lad, clearly loves the club and the fans but has been mistreated by 3 managers now as well as the board

Â