Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

Should've played a lot more over the past 2 years!

my only concern is that he impressed again at right back. Against the likes of chelsea we know he can do a job there. against the likes of swansea then i believe hutton can offer us a better option going forwards.

I'm not sure, its the same as the Young Cuellar debate. I always liked Young at RB, but I think I prefer Cuellar to Hutton even at home to Swansea...that's if our attack continues to click.

have been banging on for years now to my pal that he is by far the best CB we have, and its been frustrating for us to keep playing Collins ahead of him..

his only downside was his appalling passing. however that seemed to change under Houllier and he even in his odd cameo appearances last season it was noticable how much more comfortable on the ball he seemed..

thank god we now have a manager who sees the light. Dunne and Cuellar is by far our best CB pair. I really dont rate Collins at all, and Clarke although very promising i dont think is ready quite yet to be a starting CB week in week out...

long live king carlos!

my only concern is that he impressed again at right back. Against the likes of chelsea we know he can do a job there. against the likes of swansea then i believe hutton can offer us a better option going forwards.

Hutton isn't a Kyle Walker to be fair.

Cuellar was brill against the Wolves when we won 2-1 away & Houllier was in charge, then he dropped him next game. I'll never understand why he's never been in the team when not injured. He should be in every game now.

Are you serious? Hutton is the Emile Heskey of defence!

Only saw second half, just going to see the first half highlights, but you may have been surprised with a couple of the lads runs cos I was. There again, both Collins and Dunne made big runs from defence, Barca here were come

As a big Carlos fan, actually I saw a fair bit of error-prone and loose play from Cuellar today, but the flipside is that he is STILL a very good defender regardless of errors, and our defense almost always gets a net benefit from having him in. He can be described in the same way Dunne can: he'll screw up but he'll save your arse more often than that. Not only that but Cuellar goes hell for leather to cover from his own screw-ups, and succeeds more often than not, which out of our back four is a description unique to him.

A couple of times against Chelsea he seemed to want to close down centrally against Mata or whoever, because he (rightly) identified that as the main threat and (presumably; probably rightly) didn't trust Collins to do the job. This left a lot of space on their left for Cole or whoever to run at us and get in a cross. A couple of times they managed the cross in but Collins/Dunne dealt well, and a couple of times Cuellar managed to get back in position to get a good block in. It is risky play but like I say, NET BENEFIT. It creates a back four which on the whole deals better.

Going forward he's always been a nailbiter. And he's always given a lot of effort to that part of his game despite the fact it obviously doesn't come natural. The net result is he makes some dribbles and through balls which are surprisingly damaging to the opposition.

I will be very unhappy with the management if we end up letting him go.

I'm still wondering how he lost his place last season and hasn't gotten in back much earlier. He has played a part in many of the really good results we've gotten in the past 2 years and I would hate to see him leave on a free.

I'm still wondering how he lost his place last season

Wasn't he secretly injured and waiting for an operation? My recollection is he needed one but agreed to wait until the end of the season so we had cover in an emergency. Think even Gary Mac said now he was going for an operation and that#s why he'd been on the bench and praised his commitment.

Like him, hope he stays.

Is there any reason why we wouldn't offer him a new deal ?

Yes the wages at the club are too high and the bunch of Muppets that are the board want to reduce the wages.

As we made that excellent signing Hutton they will argue that we have to many players in the right back position being Hutton and the other useless full back Lichaj.

It will be our loss.

Its no coinsidence that we he played we finished sixth in the league 3 years in a row and had one of the best defenses.

The man in class.

Â