Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

Another one of the actually likeable personalities at the club gone. Just a bunch of arseholes left really, with a few exceptions

With Baker and Clark there one of Dunne, Collins or Cuellar was going, With Cuellar being out of contract he was easier to get rid of.

Any player on high wages will most likely go if a younger player can play in that position, Weimann for Heskey

The saved wages can then be used on positions we need players in. It is a sad state of affairs but whoever the manager does not change the fact wages need to come down

Reminds me of the Luke Young situation. A solid defender who is consistently good rather than fantastic is allowed to leave and no doubt he'll be replaced with a cheaper alternative who will be billed as a bargain, ready to show his quality but will end up being a liability.

Hmmm, he says it is a sad day. I interpret that as he wants to stay.

If so is true, I do not understand this. We could have given him a two year contract at ca the same wages (35k or maybe even upped them to 40k a week), and sold either Dunne or Collins and saved the wages on one of them AND fetched 2 or 3 million pounds.

Instead we let him go, keep the pair that has had a poor season and next summer when they are out of contract, we need to invest in two new CBs.

Strange.

The club have been trying to push him out for 12 months so this news is hardly surprising but its sad to have it confirmed.

Our best CB leaving on a free and the second £8m+ plus player to leave the club on a free in 12 months.

I will miss him. I understand that we can't offer him a new contract right now since we don't know who the manager will be next season, and I understand that he will probably have quite a few offers to move on, particularly from mid-level Spanish clubs closer to home, but I wish we could keep him. I think he's every bit as good as Collins (the highs not quite as high, the lows not quite as low), and he also seems like a great guy at a time when, as another poster has already said, we seem to have a lot of assholes in the squad.

That was his last home game (as very evident by his actions after the final whistle). He is one of the high earners and will be one of the first to go to bring the wage bill down (O'neil previously tried to offload him for the same reason)

Shame as he is the best centre half at the club

Didn't clock onto what was going on until after he had thrown his shirt into the crowd then I remembered he is in his last year and obviously not renewing his contract.

Good luck Carlos, a true professional.

thanks for the efforts carlos. the team needs a complete rebuild and unfortunately that includes that your good self.

gave his all today but sorry there are better defenders available if we actually do a bit of scouting and wouldnt want as much in wages

Â