Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

Think he will take his chances and cut loose on a Bosman looking for a longer deal

One of the promoted clubs would probably snap him up or QPR if they survive

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently he has been "offered" to Valencia.

Ricardo Costa is set to leave Valencia so it does make sense.. also, Cuéllar shares an agent with Jonathan Viera. The UD Las Palmas midfielder has an agreement in principle to join VCF in Summer.

Can see him going to be honest.. if not Valencia another Spanish club.

We really shouldn't be getting rid of Cuellar. He's our best defender by miles. If he goes but the clowns Dunne and Collins stay I'm gonna be so pissed.

I think they are all going.. Hutton and Lichaj will probably be the only "first team" defenders left. Some may be promoted from the reserves but I think defence will get an overhaul for better or worse. That said I think the whole squad will be different come next season.. It seems McLeish was brought in to balance the books, keep us up and then rebuild from scratch. Much of the MON-era squad will be going I believe.

We really shouldn't be getting rid of Cuellar. He's our best defender by miles. If he goes but the clowns Dunne and Collins stay I'm gonna be so pissed.

He is nailed on to leave Mantis.

The club tried to shift him last summer but failed and now his contract is ticking down and there is no sign of any desire to get him signed up on a new one.

He will be out the door on a free this summer, probably released and told via the website like NRC last summer and we will be left with the chuckle brothers.

Nobody is likely to take them pair of clowns off our hands so we will be stuck with them while someone takes Carlos on a free.

Still we will be saving on wages! :|

McLeish, Faulkner and Randy are all fools.

Carlos is a credit to the club, I have so much respect for the guy. His sincere interview apologising to the Villa fans in the Birmingham Mail and explaining his own mistake vs Arsenal, admitting it is not good enough, was sheer class. This is a guy we need to keep around the club, seems to be so many planks around the place right now. Oh and he is also a good, fully committed defender, better than what we've got. Him and Collins seem to play well together.

Shame McLeish can't come close to apologising for such a rubbish season.

A highly professional, competent defender good at reading the game, made extra sharp by the physicality of the Prem... he plays well with Collins, he plays well with Dunne, he plays well at RB, he plays well (despite my own prediction) at LB...

For £0 transfer fee I don't think even Valencia realise what a bargain they'll be getting. Just break out the chequebook and give him 1-2 more years at his current wage, ffs. With Eck picking transfer targets, we won't find anything that beats his value.

If Valencia want him he'd be mad to stay here.

Chance to play champions league football in his 30s after all.

Totally. I can't think of one good reason for him to choose Villa over Valencia.

If Valencia want him he'd be mad to stay here.

Chance to play champions league football in his 30s after all.

Totally. I can't think of one good reason for him to choose Villa over Valencia.

Neither can I. He'll be gone in the summer and to be honest I don't blame him.

Valencia or Villa? Hmmmm......

I'd pick Valencia.. Hell if I was at Villa right now as a fan or not if Valencia or Athletic Bilbao came knocking I wouldn't hesitate I'd be gone. If that mindset is currently shared with others in our squad then while McLeish does want a big rebuild some players he may not have a choice on. I do think several of our players looking at another year with McLeish will be phoning their agents the second the season ends saying "get me out of here, start throwing out claims i'm unsettled and wanting to leave, see who bites"..

Â