Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

This guy really is a top bloke. He has been treated pretty badly by Villa over the years, as in he has always played to a good level but never really held down a regular place in the team, where managers 'favourites' have. He never moans and he never lets us down.

I reckon they will offer him a contract, but one that is so below him, it will force him to go. This club really is a shambles at the moment.

I'll be surprised if he is with us next season imo.. club needs to reduce wages we keep getting told - he is an easy target.

Would be a huge mistake letting him go.. but hey ho, the decisions made by the club recently have destroyed the club and this would be another mistake if they let him go.

It would be idiotic to let him leave, especially on a free. Him and Dunne should be our CB pairing next season, followed by him and Clark the season after. Sign him up for another 3 years then let him leave.

Yeah he seems a top bloke and always acted professionally but this whole treated badly is a bit of an exaggeration. He's never been fined for no reason, he hasnt been banished to train on his own or the youth, he's never been bad mouthed by any manager, all thats happened during his time at Aston Villa is he hasnt been picked on a consistent basis. That is hardly being treated badly.

Our club is run by idiots..... they think Collins is a good defender? Christ sake :/

I'm not looking forward to this summer the same old dross will be there with some of the new Mcleish Dross LOL with the added pr about how we have a good team now and can maybe even get european football LOL

really hope CC stays tho!

all thats happened during his time at Aston Villa is he hasnt been picked on a consistent basis. That is hardly being treated badly.

it should be considered a crime when you have Collins and Dunne ahead of you making mistakes week in week out.. :winkold:

I don't think we'll be offering him a new contract, regardless of how he performs going into the end of the season. I don't like it bearing in mind a) who it'll leave us with and B) how much money we are (yet again) going to lose by not recouping any of our initial outlay, but if we are as desperate to reduce the wage bill as we are lead to believe, then it makes sense. I hear what people are saying with renewing Cuéllar's contract and selling off the likes of Collins instead, but there is no guarantee we'd even find a buyer (especially with Collins entering the last year of his contract).

Letting Cuéllar go is a quick-win for the finances. I guess time will tell if said victory proves pyrrhic.

Ideally I'd keep Cuellar, but if his wage demands are high, I'd let him go. He's not irreplaceable.

I'd also try my best to flog Dunne, Collins and Warnock.

I'd keep Hutton, he's probably the best defender we have. Of course I use the term defender loosely as he cant really defend, but he's a willing and effective attacking right back and so offers something to the team.

listen if he performs on the pitch they have to give him ma contract

They don't "have" to do anything at all. The club has already shown that if they believe a course of action to be the right one, they will make that call regardless of the popularity (or lack thereof) of said decision amongst the fans.

Give the man a contract. We'd struggle to get anyone as good as him for a low fee or on a free. Sell off Collins or Dunne. Cuellar is showing loyalty and shows respect to the fans. He is obviously well liked by the seniors and young players too, seems a very likeable character. Also, very versatile, so a handy player to have. When Cuellar plays for Villa, he looks like he is enjoying it and seems a privilege for him personally to play in front of the supporters. Don't get that vibe from many of our seniors.

Give the man a contract. We'd struggle to get anyone as good as him for a low fee or on a free. Sell off Collins or Dunne. Cuellar is showing loyalty and shows respect to the fans. He is obviously well liked by the seniors and young players too, seems a very likeable character. Also, very versatile, so a handy player to have.

Who to?

Give the man a contract. We'd struggle to get anyone as good as him for a low fee or on a free. Sell off Collins or Dunne. Cuellar is showing loyalty and shows respect to the fans. He is obviously well liked by the seniors and young players too, seems a very likeable character. Also, very versatile, so a handy player to have.

Who to?

Someone would buy Collins, maybe not Dunne because of his age. There were a few clubs interested if believe the press. I bet MON would be more than happy to take him off our hands if he has the money available.

I think they'll offer him a contract as I think Eck is starting to see the man brings a lot of value.

Very versatile

Very consistent

Pretty good a what he does

However I think they'll offer him less than what he's on because A - we're skint and because B - I think they feel they overpaid in 1st place and C - I don't think they see him as a nailed on 1st team. Certainly a big part of 1st team squad but I don't think he is guaranteed a start in way Dunne is.

(For what its worth he would always be starting for me ahead of Collins)

Pay cut will give Carlos pause for thought - his agent will snuff his nose around to see what else is around and come back suggesting that it is probably market value and Carlos will sign.

Pay cut will give Carlos pause for thought - his agent will snuff his nose around to see what else is around and come back suggesting that it is probably market value and Carlos will sign.
I agree with everything you said except this last part. I think a bit of digging could easily turn up a club or two on the continent willing to pay him slightly over the odds, especially if he's being signed on a free. Good CBs don't grow on trees after all. In order to keep him I think he'd need a deal at least equal to his current one.

Has he done enough to earn a big new contract, IMHO, No

Can we afford to buy a replacement as good as him? No, not in my opinion.

Exactly! I think we'd be doing well to secure him for another year, possible with the option of an extra year on the same wages as he is currently on! I've always like him as a player, especially when he plays CB. Good attitude and seem to genuinely really like ad care about the club!

Â