Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

Played really well today

Will be sad to see him go to be honest

They play well together imo.

I just can't understand for the life of me why Dunne Collins has been the automatic centre back combination for pretty much the last 2 years. Ridiculous how much both have been living off 09-10.

Am a big fan of King Carlos and think he has been a model professional at the club.

BUT

In his time at the club, he has never established himself for a prolonged period of time, as a first choice centre back in the team. Collins and Dunne, rightly or wrongly, when fit, have principally been the first choice pairing. That has been under a number of managers, so I don't blame Eck for solely getting it wrong.

As such, Carlos is a squad player, albeit a very good one. As a squad player, his salary, and worth to the club, should be determined with regards to other squad players, as opposed to established, and regularly used first team players. Having squad players that earn more than those playing every week in the first team, is a luxury of the MON era, and something that the club can't, while its losing GBP55 million a year, consider to be an acceptable or sustainable alternative.

As with Carew and NRC last year, (as well as others such as Shorey, Beye, Sidwell and now Heskey), Carlos has fallen victim to financial prudence. What I believe RL is trying to do is to create a squad, where the overall wage bill is sustainable, and the lion's share of that wage bill is spent on those players who turn out for the first team on a regular basis.

Much as none of us like this approach, the alternative is much more bleak. With the club losing money on an annual basis as it is, if RL had enough of all the abuse he gets on sites like this, and at the ground, and walked away, we would be in danger of being a Pompey, or a rangers, or dare I say it, even a small heath - flirting with administration each year, as we continually struggle to roll over our debt.

Sad to see Carlos go, but unfortunately, I believe that he, and more like him, will need to go to ensure that the club we all love (even if we don't currently like) is there for our kids to enjoy as well....

All the best, CC...

I was hoping that we would keep him BUT just like the others (Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Hutton) he's a mistake waiting to happen. Lerner has got some big decsions to make this summer regarding signings. There is absolutely no way that we can go into next season with only the likes of Baker as central defensive cover. Once Carlos is off the books we'll need at least 2 quality and consistent centre backs. Where they are realistically going to come from I have no idea though! If McLeish is still here (unfortunately it looks like he probably will be) we'll probably end up with Dann or Johnson!

Cheers Carlos. Adios!

Where is this decent player everyone talks about. Just about the worst passer of a football I've ever seen. So often a promising attack breaks down as soon as Cuellar gets involved, it's just so frustrating i can't believe nobody seems to care!

As a professional footballer, passing a football accurately over short distances should be a basic quality, Carlos fails spectacularly. Villa can do far better.

I'm sorry but I really don't get this Carlos Cuellar love-in. He's recklessly dodgy and technically he's as poor as any player in the squad. And I include Alan Hutton in that. When he strides forward out of defence he looks like a horse trying to keep control of the ball, and he can't pass the bloody thing 20 yards.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and I can understand people liking him for that reason, but a great defender he is not. We might not be blessed at CB at the moment but we should be aiming a lot higher than Carlos Cuellar IMO.

Has everyone seen the

to win his shirt? Man those questions are hard. I get the impression he doesnt really want to give it away.

that quiz is hilarious, I have tried to answer the first couple (for 10 minutes), impossible, and I'm a researcher, will certainly miss Carlos.

It's becoming very sad these recent years watching the likes of Mellberg, Laursen, Young, Barry, Carew also Dublin all depart...but that's football

• 2 weeks later...
has the club actually said that it has decided not to renew his contract? i remember eck saying before he left that nothing had been decided...

Surely he is still ours until 1st June or July?

has the club actually said that it has decided not to renew his contract? i remember eck saying before he left that nothing had been decided...

Surely he is still ours until 1st June or July?

He's still free to talk to whoever he likes though

Ridiculous decision to let him go and not try to persuade him to stay. Our squad is completely depleted. We need a new manger and a host of new players. O'Neill re-built and we need to again, but have substantially less funds

Â