Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

I think it's disgraceful by Villa, they go on about we can't renew deals until end of season but agree a pre-deal with Holman! Cuellar has been nothing but a great pro, never moaned, compare him to the **** Collins? Did Bale get anything out of him today, he's a very good defender and in my opinion has been key to why were staying up!

Gutted he's going. Love the guy and think he's a good defender to go with it. I don't see how financially we'll find a better deal. He could be a 1st choice CB on what, £30-40k a week, (on top of the fact we don't have to pay a fee for him) but instead we're going to keep both Dunne and Collins? When Dunne definitely is on more and Collins I imagine similar. We could get fee's for those two as well!?

He's a decent defender but nothing more, would have liked him to stay but maybe he wants more than a two year deal to stay in this country, maybe he can get paid more elsewhere on a free especially with tax different in Spain to here.

Seems a nice guy but not that bothered really, we've lost far far better players than him. Plus I think Baker, whilst making a few errors, has also shown some potential but its no surprise he made some errors given his inexperience and the amount he had to defend in the games he played.

The only senior defender who appears to give a shit, doesn't get pissed up, slag off the fans, get thrown out of nightclubs or argue with Sid Cowans on team bonding trips as well as putting in consistent performances at RB or CB whenever asked to play.

So what does the astute management of Aston Villa do?

It's like a bad joke really. One I'm all too sick of hearing. People can say all they like about his ability, maybe he's not good enough to challenge for the top 4 but we're a million miles away from that - what we need now is a bit of stability and experience while we rebuild, sell off the chaff and bad apples.

Good luck Carlos, I could think of 3/4 players I'd have out the door before yourself. Hopefully he can now achieve a bit of success or a decent pay day in the Middle East!

It is not about ability, Collins, Dunne and Cuellar are on high wages and with Clark and Baker in reserve one of them had to go to get the wages down

Cuellar is going simply due to he is out of contract. It would be the same no matter who is in charge.

It is not about ability, Collins, Dunne and Cuellar are on high wages and with Clark and Baker in reserve one of them had to go to get the wages down

Cuellar is going simply due to he is out of contract. It would be the same no matter who is in charge.

but cuellar's on the lowest wages out of those 3, and is arguably the best centre back in the club. plus if we're going to try to move collins and dunne on, why not just tie up carlos

I think it's disgraceful by Villa, they go on about we can't renew deals until end of season but agree a pre-deal with Holman! Cuellar has been nothing but a great pro, never moaned, compare him to the **** Collins? Did Bale get anything out of him today, he's a very good defender and in my opinion has been key to why were staying up!

Is it not possible somebody offered Cuellar a better contract and he wasn't prepared to wait until the summer to see if Villa would match it? Hardly unreasonable.

One of the very few guaranteed a great reception if he returns to VP. Will always remember the "Carlos Cuellar, Villa centre Half" chant booming at out Prague. Thanks Carlos it's been a pleasure.

That was unreal. That chant and the Safiou one were the theme of the trip outside the English bar!

but cuellar's on the lowest wages out of those 3, and is arguably the best centre back in the club. plus if we're going to try to move collins and dunne on, why not just tie up carlos

No certainty that anyone will go in for Dunne or Collins, if one of them was out of contract they would be going.

No certainty that anyone will go in for Dunne or Collins, if one of them was out of contract they would be going.

I think you're missing the fact that he now needs to be replaced though... And well never manage that for anything close to the money it wouldn't cost just to renew him. At around £33k a week according to reports he's the only defender we have who was earning a fair amount. A 3 year extension would've cost us £5.15m... A replacement will cost that in terms of transfer and signing on fees alone

A 3 year extension would've cost us £5.15m... A replacement will cost that in terms of transfer and signing on fees alone

Yet another reason why letting him go is complete madness.

Does anyone have stats for goals conceded with/without Cuellar in the team? I don't know, but my feeling is we conceded at least 30% fewer goals with him playing.

On the face of it, it seems a ridiculous decision. What will prove it one way or the other is who they bring in to replace him. Carlos is an excellent defender, but he's not a great footballer and his distribution has, with the occasional exception, been decidedly poor.

Â