Carlos Cuellar - Released

R.Bear

Im guessing he will go back to spain.

He said he wants to stay in England. See my above post.

Ridiculous to let him go if that's the case. Would be gutted to see him join another PL club.

Oh yeah, well that is not good news.. He may well be gearing up for a PL move.. No doubt he will have offers.

Oh dear:

"

Former Aston Villa defender Carlos Cuellar is worried that the club's austerity drive could harm the club in the long term after they slipped from the top six to a relegation battle in two seasons.

Fan favourite Cuellar, released by Villa on Wednesday after his contract ran down, was a key player under former boss Martin O’Neill as Villa were genuine challengers and competing in Europe.

O’Neill quit two years ago when the club’s American owner Randy Lerner embarked on a cost-cutting drive, selling the likes of James Milner without allowing the Northern Irishman to replace him, and Cuellar feels this strategy left him isolated too.

"I’ve been on holiday for the past week as I needed to relax and clear my head after a stressful couple of years," Cuellar told Eurosport from Madrid, where he is visiting family.

"My first two years at Villa were brilliant as I was playing regularly and we were challenging for the top four. We were a really strong team, and I still love the club.

But in the last two years something changed, both for the club and me – we lost many of our top players, and had constant problems with managers.

"We had no stability, and we became weaker because of the change in economic direction. Also, I was not in the first XI. So a combination of the club’s troubles and my own lack of playing time made me quite stressed, professionally."

Lerner’s cost-cutting measures saw Milner and Ashley Young among the major departures from the club as he sought to reduce a high wage bill.

That had a major impact on the American’s last managerial appointment, with ex-Birmingham boss Alex McLeish only lasting one season as Villa finished just above the relegation zone.

Cuellar, 30, is reluctant to blame McLeish for the troubles, insisting that internal politics was the overriding negative factor at Villa Park.

"I don’t think the manager wasn’t giving me a fair chance. Obviously as a player you want to play, but I had more of a problem with the way the board were dealing with me and others.

"Had the board come to me and said ‘listen, we are not going to offer you a new contract because of your wages, or because you are not playing well enough’, I would have accepted that and looked for another solution.

"But they said nothing. And yet in the past I had turned down offers to leave because I was told I would be given a new contract and would play!

"The problems at Villa are political – you can’t blame the coaches because they have to deal with the same things too."

Despite his negative experience in the last few years, Cuellar is keen to stay in the Premier League. As an experienced free agent who can play as a full-back as well as a centre-half, the Spaniard should not be short of offers, although none have come in yet.

"I haven’t got any strong ideas about my future because I went away and forgot about football for a few days," he admitted. "The plan is to spend a few more days in Madrid then go back and speak with my agent. But the first option is to stay in the Premier League.

"As a youngster it was always my dream to play in England because of the style of play. I had the opportunity and I want to keep it.

"Of course after five years abroad I miss my family and friends, so sometimes when I go back for holidays my heart tells me maybe I should return. But my head tells me to stay in England, and I know this is the best for me.

"Obviously it depends on if I get any offers, but this is my priority. I enjoy my sporting life in England."

Cuellar came into English football via a season at Rangers, who he joined from Osasuna in 2007. He was linked with a return to the Glasgow club last summer but an injury scuppered the transfer.

Rangers’ problems since then have been well-documented and, while Cuellar has gone on record as saying he would gladly play for the club again, he is not holding out any hope at the moment.

"Rangers will always be in my heart even though it was just one year of my life. But it was probably the biggest year in my life and I have a close emotional contact with the fans.

"I would love to play there again but there are a lot of problems and I believe they can’t sign senior players. But that year was amazing and all my memories of Rangers are good memories.

"They haven’t called me to express their interest though so I can’t say. Even if things clear up for them I don’t even know if they are interested, as things change from year to year, coach to coach."

Link: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/24052012/58/premier-league-cuellar-villa-cost-cutting-forced.html

I will be in the vast minority here but it is probably because I actually don't rate him that highly.

I dont see what the board have done wrong.

We were threatened with relegation and no ones future was certain until the last game so when did he expect to be told anything?. Also in the run in he hardly showed himself worthy of a new contract.

seems that we have it confirmed that the club is being managed badly. It was obvious that he was a fans favourite yet they showed him such disrespect that no employee should have been shown. I see him going to Sunderland. If he thinks it then what the hell do the other player think!

THE CLUB IS IN DISARRAY!

Very interesting. Seems my perception of the Board and how professional they are may not be accurate. For someone like CC to come out and say that, a man who loves the club and never speaks ill of it.

I will be in the vast minority here but it is probably because I actually don't rate him that highly.

I dont see what the board have done wrong.

We were threatened with relegation and no ones future was certain until the last game so when did he expect to be told anything?. Also in the run in he hardly showed himself worthy of a new contract.

Yep and the moment a footballer says "its been very stressful" I just think **** off.

Cue, just because you earn lots of money doesnt mean you cant be stressed. That is true but if someone can explain what is stressful about playing football, training, not playing in the first team, sitting on a bench, safe in the knowledge you can pay all your bills and live a very comfortable life even if you never play again but chances are you will get a contract somewhere, then I'm all ears.

Lerner seems to be problem inside the club as well apparently.
Fixed

Yup, that is the problem.

Lerner has an ego. Think there are a number of ex staff and players who can tell you that. I've heard it from the horses mouth myself.

Lerner seems to be problem inside the club as well apparently.
Fixed

Yup, that is the problem.

Lerner has an ego. Think there are a number of ex staff and players who can tell you that. I've heard it from the horses mouth myself.

I am glad. I was worried that he didn't.

If he does have an ego maybe he will massage it and spend some money and effort on the team.

Deserving of a new contract or not, he should have been approached about being released.

Why?

We needed him to concentrate on performing PLUS how many times do you hear players say "I am putting off contract talks until the end of the season"?

It works both way.

Boo Hoo for him.

Â