Martin O'Neill

maqroll

Why are they so **** dull? We were never that bad were we?

from start of 2009 we were pretty dull to watch as we couldnt break down a lot of team and were 1 dimensional. probably glossed over is as football in last 2 seasons were also bad

Yes in a game they should have won Mantis, disallowed goal, generally much better than us! I don't like MON, but one thing you cannot deny is when we had a shit result he would usually get the team to bounce right back, remember when we lost to Middlesbrough 2-1, he only then went to Emirates and done them. We lost 2-0 at home to Wigan, we then went to Anfield and beat them 3-1. This will be a tough game to win no doubt.

Both teams were poor that day. The predicted smashing at the hands of O'Neill never happened.

As I said in the match thread, if Sunderland won last night people would be saying "they'll be eager to keep this run of form going and O'Neill will want to put the boot in".

from start of 2009 we were pretty dull to watch as we couldnt break down a lot of team and were 1 dimensional. probably glossed over is as football in last 2 seasons were also bad

We were never this dull for an extended period of time though.

If McLeish gets another job will that not count as a success ;)

Im sure with his outrageously large settlement he got from us the ginger prick will never even think about working !

Couple that with the fact his reputation ( did he ever have one :P ) is rightly in pieces I very much doubt he will !

I still wonder what Villa could have achieved in Europe had MON not given up on the competition...if you enter a cup competition, you should try to win the **** thing. Villa were strong enough that year to win it, too.

Whilst Everton certainly did pay good money for Fellaini didn't they go about 5 or 6 transfer windows without signing a single player?

Even £15m, it isn't a huge amount of money these days. You get a good PL player for that. Not great, not exceptional and certainly not world class.

To be fair to Moyes, I think I read that over his tenure as Everton manager his total net spend works out at about £2.5 million a season.

It's not nothing, but it's certainly nowhere near what MON was averaging here.

You look solely on his time at Aston Villa and I guess you could accuse O'Neill of being a cheque book manager. I do though think for an 80 mill net spend over 4 years and when he left the 6th highest wage bill what we achieved was about right. It should also be remembered that since he left we sold 3 of his signings for over 60 mill.

What he certainly can't be accused off is being a cheque book manager at Leicester. In his 5 years there he got them promoted and for 4 seasons they didn't finish outside the top 10 in the Premiership. They won the league cup twice and finished runners up once. A remarkable achievement and he certainly didn't have a lot to spend at Leicester.

I think he is now possibly on the wane and in terms of English football Aston Villa will certainly be the biggest club he will manage. I think perhaps he knows that himself now and as maybe lost some of the spark he had with us. Like many managers found before him once you leave us it seems you go backwards.

He certainly won't go down as an elite manager alongside the likes of Fergie and Wenger but for me he stands comfortably alongside the likes of Moyes and Redknapp especially when you consider he has won more than them at a club like Leicester.

I don't think he's adaptable enough for the modern game. Things have changed since his most successful days, and I think he's too stubborn to change with them. Thought he'd be a Villa legend a few years ago, so it's sad to see how things have turned out for both of us. I am glad he's not proving a great success at Sunderland though.

MON can't manage a squad. In his four season here he used the same 11 players until they were **** (Feb/March) then we lost all our momentum. Apart from his first season here, we were solid contenders for top four every year, but only until February. MON will never do better than he did with us. He can't buy and manage a squad to play consistently for a full season.

I think it's all coming undone for him now. Getting booed off by fans in under 12 months by the same fans that watched Mick McCarthy for three years can't be good for your stock. I expect some of the journos pointing out his weaknesses are distancing themselves to retain credibility.

• Like 2

Â