Martin O'Neill

maqroll

I must admit to never liking MON, that is until he was fortunate to manage Aston Villa. I always thought him to be smug and displaying a sense of over-bearing self worth.

That is all.

Yeah I tend to agree. The thing MON cares more about than anything else is the image of MON. Really dislike the bloke.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike him as well, but is there anything wrong with wanting to become a footballing legend?

No not at all. But look at the legacy of Bobby Robson and there is a man who did things the right way and who was open and honest with everyone he ever met. Contrast that with MON and you get barbed quips and cryptic comment; I just think he tries to be cleverer than he actually is!

When sunderland finish above us again we'll have a good old laugh at those idiots enjoying watching their team win games.

Haha don't they know it's all about the bank balance.

Idiot Mackems.

Great coherent argument. Well done.

I've had a bet on since February this year that Sunderland will win a maximum of of ONE game in February 2013 under MON.

MON cannot manage a squad through a Premier League season. Lower league or Scotland maybe, but he cannot sustain 38 games at this level with the same 11 players.

As sure as he did it to us, he was already showing signs of it at Sunderland last season. They will simultaneously burn out in Feb/March and their season will fall into a rapid decline that the press will report as 'tremendously bad luck for a brilliant manager'.

MON is not good enough to manage at this level and will never establish and sustain a club in the top four because of his own limitations.

If MON is not good enough to manage at this level then what does the make Houlier, Gary Mcallister, O Dreary and Mccliesh??

I understand your point about MON and his big spending's but unfortunately there is a strong correlation between the amount of money spent and the success. Its very rare that a team who does not spend will achieve success.

It speaks Volumes when Chelsea can not realistically compete for the title.

I do wander how Sunderland can afford this and the damage that could be done although ultimately its up to the chairman as its his money and his choice.

To say MON isnt good enough at this level is probably the biggest pile of shit I've ever read on this site. For all his floors MON is still a very good Premier League manager, thoughs floors do stop him being any higher than 6th but he still is a very good manager.

That said I would have thought maybe MON might have learned from his mistakes. Spending to much money on British based player, again shows no imagination in the transfer market. Sunderlands slump last season suggests that squad rotation is still a problem, and they high energy counter attacking football can only get you so far.

Great signing by MON, Johnson will play just the way MON likes. He'll be like Young was for Villa, but not quite as good.

Still, I think he has done well there. He'll have paid over the odds for him and he'll be on a massive contract, MON style, but he might just be worth it.

MON is not good enough to manage at this level

Are you for real? That's one of the most stupidest comments that I've ever read on VT!

Id go as far to say thats one of the stupidest comments I have ever read anywhere

Was talking to a Sunderland mate of mine, and he's quiet excited about Fletcher & Johnson and reckons they will have a very good team if O'Neill can sign a right back (didn't want to spoil that for him.). Told me the likely first XI and it left Gardner, Ji, Bramble, Larsson, Westwood, Meyler, Bardsley, Vaughan, Saha, Wickham, Elmohamady, Campbell & Killgallon all fighting for a place on the bench. That's 13 players and knowing how opposed to shipping players & changing his team Mon is, I started to think the wage bill must be enormous, if there is 24 players all capable of starting within the team.

As much as I like O'Neill it does seem that he hasn't learnt from his mistakes whereas Randy seems to have done. I guess that's the beauty of being a manager, you can just leave and wait and pick up another job whereas as an owner you're tied to the club and its finances. Sunderland will flirt with Europe this season I think, if they don't then something will have gone very wrong.

To say MON isnt good enough at this level is probably the biggest pile of shit I've ever read on this site. For all his floors MON is still a very good Premier League manager, thoughs floors do stop him being any higher than 6th but he still is a very good manager.

I don't see what the size of his house has to do with anything.

Great signing by MON, Johnson will play just the way MON likes. He'll be like Young was for Villa, but not quite as good.

Still, I think he has done well there. He'll have paid over the odds for him and he'll be on a massive contract, MON style, but he might just be worth it.

The problem with MON was not paying over the odds for the best.

It was the next best players who got ridiculous wages and often were bought in at inflated prices and then left to rot when out in the cold so there would be no re sale value.

If MON had managed Harewood, Reo Coker, Shorey, Davies, Sidwell etc better, he might have fetched some decent amount for them thus giving him more freedom with the wage bill and maybe more options to buy a replacement when Milner left.

The problem with MON was not paying over the odds for the best.

It was the next best players who got ridiculous wages and often were bought in at inflated prices and then left to rot when out in the cold so there would be no re sale value.

If MON had managed Harewood, Reo Coker, Shorey, Davies, Sidwell etc better, he might have fetched some decent amount for them thus giving him more freedom with the wage bill and maybe more options to buy a replacement when Milner left.

That's kinda what I was alluding to mate. It just remains to be seen whether Sunderland can afford his style of management. We couldn't, but they have a wealthier owner that we do.

He's doing exactly the same there as he did here. Splash the cash, some good signings and some questionable. But they'll pretty much all be players with Premiership experience. It's predictable.

Fletcher might well do okay at Sunderland. I don't see £12-14 million as value for him, but as a player, he's okay. With good service, who knows what he's capable of.

At the moment, the Sunderland fans love MON. And I don't blame them, it's like watching us a few years ago. The similarities are scary. And they'll get better too, I think. But it does very much feel like it's only a matter of time before the bubble bursts, unless their owners sustain year after of year of financial loss.

The test will come when O'Neill goes back to his chairman and asks for the same expenditure next season when there are some of his buys still not being used.

The things is that this happens at lots of clubs. The difference is when the managers at rich clubs do it, they get given more money, have more success and people go on about how great they are. When a manager like MON does it and gets told there is no more to spend, fans see it as him taking the club as far as he could. But look at how many players Cheslea bought and hardly used under Mourinho or City under Mancinni. SAF has blown big fees and not really used players plenty of times.

Rafa Benitez has to be the best example of this, as he paid big money for shit lots of times. When the Liverpool board couldn't give him anymore, he simply couldn't live with the likes of MON or Redknapp. Yet Liverpool fans feel sorry for him and still rate him. Football is about money, managers are over rated.

Â