Martin O'Neill

maqroll

With players like Sessegnon, Johnson, Fletcher, Larsson etc. they should be playing better but they are suffering because of MON's tactics and playing style.

With Redknapp there they'd be top 8 with those players.

One things for sure if we are to again consistently finish amongst the top 6 we are going to have to have a wage bill that reflects that position.

Not if you listen to the 'Pro Lambert brigade.'

Apparently we're going to get there with players on Championship wages.

Not if you listen to the 'Pro Lambert brigade.'

Apparently we're going to get there with players on Championship wages.

You don't half post some rubbish on here! Do you think success is directly related to salary? If so, how have Everton finished above us in all but two seasons out of the last **** knows how many when their average salary per player is about 55% of what Villa pay?

Id say sunderlands wage problems aren't mon inspired, wes brown and John oshea will be 35 year olds on around £50k a week

They also have a huge squad full of dross not getting a game

Thats bruces fault and from what I've seen on RTG probably what's saving mon from getting more grief, a fair few of them think he needs another transfer window before they can judge him properly

Do you think success is directly related to salary?

I hate to say it but yes, success is more or less directly related to salary.

There are obviously exceptions (Newcastle in the lat 90's early 2000's is a prime one. 5th highest wage bill, but averaged 9th in the league) but on the whole and over time, the bigger the wage bill, the more successful the team.

However, the point is we have to build slowly. Chucking all those wages at a team is great if it brings instant success beacuse the additional income becomes sustainable.

But if, like under MON, you significantly increase the wage bill but don't achieve the success that would make it sustainable (ie champions league football) you then get into a situation where your wages have spiralled and your income hasn't, and your stuck with those huge wages because players have large contracts that won't be matched elsewhere.

So yeah, we probably will have to pay those wages in the future if we're to achieve Champions League football. But the point is, we need to build a bit more slowly, keep the wage bill under control while we do it and spend the wages more sensibly. Rather than just splurging it all at once on huge contracts and realising half the players you've got on huge wages don't cut the mustard.

I can't believe someone is suggesting that finishing position is directly liked to the average salary of players.

I said earlier in the thread that in the case of the top half dozen places your wage bill will reflect where you finish with in a couple of places but that of course you will get the odd exception. As others have mentioned Newcastle last season being one.

Sustained success of finishing in the upper places of the Premier League will, in the main, require you to have one of the highest wage bills. Its no secret why the most successful clubs the last few seasons have been Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd. Its no coincidence they spend the most on transfers and have the highest wage bills.

I said earlier in the thread that in the case of the top half dozen places your wage bill will reflect where you finish with in a couple of places but that of course you will get the odd exception. As others have mentioned Newcastle last season being one.

Sustained success of finishing in the upper places of the Premier League will, in the main, require you to have one of the highest wage bills. Its no secret why the most successful clubs the last few seasons have been Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd. Its no coincidence they spend the most on transfers and have the highest wage bills.

Middlesbrough paid phenomenal wages in their later seasons in this league and they were gash. These situations are not isolated by any means.

Middlesbrough paid phenomenal wages in their later seasons in this league and they were gash. These situations are not isolated by any means.

No one is saying that spending money both in terms of transfers and wages will guarantee you success as numerous teams over the year have proved that. However no team I can think of in the last 20 years at least has had a sustained period of finishing in the upper places of the Premier League and/or winning Cups without being some of the highest spenders.

Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and more recently Man City, bar the odd exception, have dominated finishing in the Champions League qualifying spots and have, again bar the odd exception, dominated the Cup competitions in recent memory. You will also find they have in the main in terms of wages been the biggest spenders.

MMFY your graph shows, if I am reading it right, that in 2010 the team with the highest wage bill won the league and the top 7 places in the league were occupied by the teams who had the top 7 wage bills. Like I said bar the odd exception the top places in the league will be occupied by the biggest spenders on wages and certainly to have a sustained period of finishing in the upper places will mean you having to have a wage bill that reflects your finishing position.

Shocking. Businesses succeed by paying for the best.

It's a shame a lot of our money wasn't going towards the best or even anything close to the best under O'Neill. By this I mean that there were so many players purchased for big money we had who were on big wages that they clearly weren't worth. Worst of all a lot of them barely even played. We lost a lot of money on most of his buys too. While people will point out Young, Milner and Downing) those are probably the only players we did make money on.

It's a shame a lot of our money wasn't going towards the best or even anything close to the best under O'Neill. By this I mean that there were so many players purchased for big money we had who were on big wages that they clearly weren't worth. Worst of all a lot of them barely even played. We lost a lot of money on most of his buys too. While people will point out Young, Milner and Downing) those are probably the only players we did make money on.

Every manager will sign a dud or two. But what annoyed me about Heskey, Beye, Harewood - was that hey look destined flops the day they arrived. - We signed Heskey to score goals FFS !

Every manager will sign a dud or two. But what annoyed me about Heskey, Beye, Harewood - was that hey look destined flops the day they arrived. - We signed Heskey to score goals FFS !

O'Neill signed more than just a dud or two. Wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that we spent massive money and wages on most of them.

Â