Martin O'Neill

maqroll

So lambert needs years and time even if things aren't right.

Yet Mon, who hasn't had a full season as Sunderland manager yet, has not only had this season written off but he's time as Sunderland manager and actually some are now using it to write off his whole career.

Very amusing.

Keep up the hypocrisy.

I've stated my case with MON several times. He is a one-dimensional one-trick pony who can only manage 11 players. Premier League football is a squad game - you're not going to get through a season with 11 players. They will either become injured or just simply burn out, as they did at Villa and as they evidently are at Sunderland. Look at MON's record at Villa for the last three months of the season during his last three seasons here and it paints a picture of a very average manager.

MON has spent big money again at Sunderland, yet they appear to be moving backwards. Fast. They were a steady mid table club who are now staring at the foot of the table.

At Villa, we are rebuilding from scratch. It would not make sense to get rid of Lambert this season OR next, as we would fail to attract a manager who would want time and patience to build the stability the club and fans want.

If you think this is being hypocritical, you are a Johnson.

• Like 1

MON has spent big money again at Sunderland, yet they appear to be moving backwards. Fast. They were a steady mid table club who are now staring at the foot of the table.

Thanks for showing a good example of the hypocrisy I'm on about.

We make signings and its a case of giving them chance to gel and time to settle, yet Mon's are written off after 10 games which is a big no no when discussing any of Lambert's signings.

Also they weren't a steady mid table team when he got the job hence the fact he got the job. And like I said he hasn't had a full season as Sunderland manager and people are using these 10 games to write off his whole career while our worst prem start was met with we need time, give him a chance.

If you don't think that's hypocritical then you're a Johnson.

my opinion is the man is a fraud if his name was Benitez, Martinez, AVB or something continental he would be slaughtered by the media now.

living off a reputation that he thinks he is new Cloughie and he is chummy with the media. his football is terrible, his man management is appalling and ive seen some Sunderland fans saying to prefer Bruce back

It's been 11 months since O'Neill took over at Sunderland and in that 11 months it seems to have pretty much been all downhill for them. By that I mean that they started well and were good for a month or two (new manager syndrome) but have been consistently getting worse and worse since then. The comparisons to Lambert aren't really fair because whereas Lambert's only been in the job since the summer, O'Neill's been at Sunderland for almost a year.

New manager syndrome? Are we going to get some of that?

So after 11 months and any new signings playing only 10 games everyone is then free to criticise and write off Lambert and his signings and his career?

It's not comparing the two managers its just showing the hypocrisy. One needs time and a chance for his team to gel after the worst start the clubs ever had in the prem and the other is written off for a poor start in his first full season in the job.

New manager syndrome? Are we going to get some of that?

So after 11 months and any new signings playing only 10 games everyone is then free to criticise and write off Lambert and his signings and his career?

It's not comparing the two managers its just showing the hypocrisy. One needs time and a chance for his team to gel after the worst start the clubs ever had in the prem and the other is written off for a poor start in his first full season in the job.

New manager syndrome normally only occurs when a team changes managers mid-season, and even then it doesn't always happen.

Where did I say it was ok to completely write off O'Neill? All people are saying is that he's currently doing a very poor job with Sunderland. Why do you always get so defensive over him?

Not being defensive of just him. I've pointed out the hypocrisy towards Mcleish as well and he was a manager I hated.

There's no doubt he's doing a poor job but quite clearly that isn't just what's being said.

McLeish was utterly shite manager and he deserved all the hate he got for his performance and tactics. What hypocricy are you talking about?

He won't last the season there, I'm convinced of it.

His last chance of being a big time manager was with us. Also 60 now I think so could just retire if he leaves Sunderland and just do punditry.

Agree. I also think he'll quit before he's pushed.

Interesting snippet of information in that video (if true) about us playing on a Sunday and not reconvening until the following Thursday. Totally ridiculous and a shocking approach (if true).

No wonder the twunts rebelled against Houllier when he tried to instill more hours on the training pitch - they were used to O'Neills half arsed ways.

(And I know that half arsed way got us to six three times, blah blah blah, but perhaps a different approach could have led us to fourth).

MON has signed...

Rose, Fletcher, McFadden, A.Johnson, Saha, Cuellar and Laidler.

All very typical MONesque signings. Majority with Prem experience and several clubs under their belt. Question is, how much are their wages?

With the quality of some of those players you would think they would have scored more goals by now. Gardner, Larrsson, Saha, McClean, Sessegnon, Fletcher and Johnson.

Unless I remember reading wrong I think Sunderland is paying about 60-70k of Johnson's wages and Man City is paying the rest 30-40k. (He was on about 100k per week), Fletcher can't be on low wages either so probably about 60k as well. Wasn't Cuellar on 40k at Villa?

Sunderland will be in trouble with Adam Johnson, he's on 4 years contract and there's no way any team will pay him 100k wages so they cant sell him if his form drops or he gets unhappy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rose and Saha wouldn't be on 40-50k knowing MON.

Unless I remember reading wrong I think Sunderland is paying about 60-70k of Johnson's wages and Man City is paying the rest 30-40k. (He was on about 100k per week), Fletcher can't be on low wages either so probably about 60k as well. Wasn't Cuellar on 40k at Villa?

Sunderland will be in trouble with Adam Johnson, he's on 4 years contract and there's no way any team will pay him 100k wages so they cant sell him if his form drops or he gets unhappy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rose and Saha wouldn't be on 40-50k knowing MON.

I doubt very much O'Neill negotiates player contracts.

I also can't see Fletcher being on any more than 40k a week as that would be around double what he was on at Wolves. Danny Rose is on loan so they will just be covering what Spurs pay him and that will not be anything like 40 - 50k a week.

If the Sunderland owners let the wage bill get to a level they can't sustain then they must be stupid and very poor businessmen. Much like our owner has been.

I doubt very much O'Neill negotiates player contracts.

I also can't see Fletcher being on any more than 40k a week as that would be around double what he was on at Wolves. Danny Rose is on loan so they will just be covering what Spurs pay him and that will not be anything like 40 - 50k a week.

If the Sunderland owners let the wage bill get to a level they can't sustain then they must be stupid and very poor businessmen. Much like our owner has been.

Ah, forgot that Rose was on loan, and I thought he was on about 30k in Wolves. Found this with a bit of googling:

Fletcher was forced to take a 50 per cent pay cut at Molineux as a result of Wolves dropping out of the top flight. he is thought to have agreed personal terms at Sunderland that will earn him about £35,000 a week.

Gotta say I'm a bit surprised, would've thought he'd be on much higher.

Also found this from telegraph.co.uk:

Sunderland cannot afford to cover Johnson’s £80,000-a-week wages, but the player was willing to take a pay cut of about £30,000 a week as long as he was compensated with a lump sum from City to do so.

I remember also seeing some articles where they said that Man City is subsiding rest of his salary but 50k isn't that bad, especially if it's true that he is really getting paid it and ManCity paid the lump sum so he is easier to offload if need be than I first thought.

Ah, forgot that Rose was on loan, and I thought he was on about 30k in Wolves. Found this with a bit of googling:

Gotta say I'm a bit surprised, would've thought he'd be on much higher.

Also found this from telegraph.co.uk:

I remember also seeing some articles where they said that Man City is subsiding rest of his salary but 50k isn't that bad, especially if it's true that he is really getting paid it and ManCity paid the lump sum so he is easier to offload if need be than I first thought.

Some good investigation work there!

I suppose if you consider that we currently have Bent and NZogbia picking up around 110k a week between and they can't get into our starting 11 regularly then Sunderland paying Johnson and Fletcher 85k a week seems like decent business.

So lambert needs years and time even if things aren't right.

Yet Mon, who hasn't had a full season as Sunderland manager yet, has not only had this season written off but he's time as Sunderland manager and actually some are now using it to write off his whole career.

Very amusing.

Keep up the hypocrisy.

Let it go. Plenty of people have a justified dislike of MON. Put your fanboyism aside eh?

Bit harsh, that.

Big John's post is one of the most sensible and objective posts I've read in a long time concerning O'neill. They are doing no worse than us, yet Lambert is hailed as our saviour while ONeill is consigned to the managerial scrap heap? I don't think so.

Â