Martin O'Neill

maqroll

No, but you dont judge a player after two games either. Personally I think Fletcher will do well up there, I thought he was excellent at Burnley and the Wolves season ticket holder I know said he was far too good for them last year, but that doesnt mean people can be smug because he scored a few goals early in his Sunderland career. How many players have started brightly and not carried that form through the season? ****, even Heskey managed to score on his Villa debut.

Thought Id pop over to a Sunderland forum (RTG) to see how they're taking to MON now he's had 6 months or so...

33% possession equates to bottom third over the course of a season, at best. fair enough against the top 4 or perhaps top 8 away from home, but I'd like to see the overall possession stats since MON arrived - I doubt its much higher.

10th-15th

We've been outplayed in all 3 games so far (Swansea only had 10 men)

All out defence and hope to nick a goal. In his email MON says we gave as good as we got. I would like a pair of his glasses please.

I hope we show a lot more ambition at home once Johnson is in the side. Im a huge fan of O'Neill but the way we set up second half yesterday left me very frustrated. I think we showed far too much respect to a distinctly average Liverpool side.

The midfield four were far too close to the back four so even when we regained possession we had no options to play out of our half which resulted in long balls to Fletcher who had no one to flick onto and no one to hold play up for.

gonna be hard to beat, on the flipside, we don't look like winning too many games either with this sitting deep inviting pressure style. 13th

i'm not overly happy we keep letting teams dominate us, even when we take the lead. its just going to completely ruin us over the course of a season with fatigue.

**** me man playing one up front at home against a team who havent won all season or scored more than once in a game. We made them look like Barcelona at times. People can gloss over what they want but that was absolute dirge.

Playing on the break against them lot ffs

He goes into half time one up against Swansea. That is winning to simple people like us. But Marty decided to change it.

Result is not winning, and boring the tits off everyone in the process.

Good job the bloke has learnt from his mistakes.

11 games + counting.

Good job he still has the ability to set up an entertaining team.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

woeful? No.

A bit worrying - yes. Sitting back in the PL at 1-0 for at least 45 minutes isn't going to pay out more often than it fails. We actually looked good going forward and defending in the oppositions half is far more effective when you have the chance which today I thought we did. Just too deep

three matches is very very early days . We are patently hard to beat but our ball retention is as bad as it's been in any of our current streak of premier seasons. how can it be possible that all our creatives : Mac AJ Sess are rusty ? Thought Sessegnon played himself a little bit fitter during the first half today and then looked knackered for the last quarter...

The same as when Bruce was manager but in a different formation.

I would prefer us to run with the ball not running with the opposition who have the ball.

I didn't think we played very well. The issue is that we didn't play as well as we cold. We seemed to invite them onto us. It's one thing if that was a once off, but it's not. I love MON, but I hope this isn't the way he's gonna play ever game.

We looked like eleven strangers at time, intent upon generously giving our guests the ball most of the time. Bit disappointing, tbh.

Awful distribution, and just seemed to constantly give the ball away. It was baffling at times.

so why arnt we match fit and other teams are, did we not do pre season training

O'neill relies on wingers to be superhuman and create the goals i.e. two DM's winning the ball and knocking out wide. Problem is the widemen and the sess were crap.

O'neill needs to **** get this system out of his head becasue it's shit to watch.

Our style of play is shocking. Very little attacking intent, one dimensional and wholly reliant on breaking away. Yet when we do breakaway we can't keep the ball or get the ball up the other end quick enough. We're creating very little which is a worry. An even greater worry though is how much we allow the other team to have the ball. Johnson had so much space last night to do as he wished, and the pressure eventually broke us. Liverpool were there for the taking and we played into their hands, just as we did away at Swansea.

Boring and negative.

And finally...

Villa are even ahead of us

In the interest of balance, Id like to point out that there are a fair portion of fans who seem happy with the results so far this season, (draws at Arsenal and Swansea and at home to Liverpool) but the quotes I've selected seems to be the general opinion on that board at least.

It's exactly the same type of signing all the ones he made for us were... decent players, all made sense, but overpriced and on higher wages than they're really worth.

This is it really. MON all over.

He's signed a good player, who will do well, and makes sense.

BUt he's signed him for a big fee, and probably big wages.

It works, but put it all together and you end up with a functional but not amazing football team that cost a lot of money.

His style of play was effective when he managed us, but as the years roll on it's increasingly important to retain possession of the ball and his teams never do that.

It's all counter attack, which can only get you so far. It can still work, but it's limited, especially at home.

The possession stat is one of the most meaningless stats in football, it depends on the style of play the team adopts. Under MON Villa always seemed to do better in games with less possession. If we dominated possession we did less well because the counter attacking style requires it, you need the opposition to be drawn out of defence to get behind them. If we dominated possession it usually meant that the other team were sitting back and we didn't have the weapons to break that kind of defence down.

i think ultimately, a team built to work on the counter attack will only take you so far, Most successful teams nowadays have a team built for possession and learn how to recycle the ball.

I would love us to finish above Sunderland, this season maybe alittle to soon but i think it should be achievable next year.

The possession stat is one of the most meaningless stats in football, it depends on the style of play the team adopts. Under MON Villa always seemed to do better in games with less possession. If we dominated possession we did less well because the counter attacking style requires it, you need the opposition to be drawn out of defence to get behind them. If we dominated possession it usually meant that the other team were sitting back and we didn't have the weapons to break that kind of defence down.

It doesn't tell you the whole story of a game, but it gives you an indication. If you have less possession of the ball, you're spending more of your time working off the ball, which is much more tiring. This style of play takes it's toll on a team, and we were notorious for conceding late goals and tiring towards the end of season under MON.

Possession is only meaningless if you're unable to do anything with it.

The west ham and everton games were embarrassing as well.

But who cares, sunderland aren't doing great so

:lol:

how is losing 1-0 away at Upton Park embarrassing?

Everton are probably the league form team and beat United 5 days before was that also embarrassing for UNited?

Â