Martin O'Neill

maqroll

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah but we'd have lost Zat as a poster on here, got to think of the bigger picture sometimes.😉

I probably would have been a Bielsa fan at the time before his petulance at Lazio and some of the crap jobs he has done with his outdated methods

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It wasn't, was arguably the best level of English football in modern era when you look at 3 English teams regularly in CL SFs (so more depth than now). Just looked at the quality of players at Man. United, Chelsea and Liverpool in that time. We were just incredibly effective at what we did. Counter attacked teams to death away from home and while VP form was mediocre we could still score with Young inswinging corner that Laursen or Carew could flick in. Gabby was also pretty decent in those days.

As ever with us our timing wasn't the best. I think if we'd had the MON era between 2011-15 then we'd have made top 4 once as Arsenal and Liverpool declined in that period and Spurs were hit and miss.

Outside the top 4 it wasn't very good though. The current Southampton team would probably wipe the floor with 2010 Villa and that was our best team of the last 20 years. We also beat that team 4-0 this season, and we're really struggling to break top 10 as it stands with players like Coutinho in the squad.

Just now, Keyblade said:

Outside the top 4 it wasn't very good though. The current Southampton team would probably wipe the floor with 2010 Villa and that was our best team of the last 20 years. We also beat that team 4-0 this season, and we're really struggling to break top 10 as it stands with players like Coutinho in the squad.

Football has changed a fair bit since then. Everton were pretty similar to us with their spine of Tim Howard- Distin/Jagielka- Nevile-Arteta-Cahill. They also had Tony Hibbert at RB for their 5th place finishes. Wes Brown and Michael Essien also started the 2008 CL final as full backs so not like today when they're increasingly the main playmakers in the team.

Portsmouth actually had a pretty decent team before it all got broken up due to their wild overspending...for six months they had all of David James, Glen Johnson, Sol Campbell, Lassana Diarra, Muntari, Crouch and Defoe all playing for them! Were always a nightmare match up for us in those times as they had endless pace and power. Can remember Muntari running through our midfield in one game at VP and smashing it in top corner from 25 yards.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

How come nobody else struggled and went into relegation. They took players from Spurs, Arsenal and Everton as well and did ok. 

Man City is a factor but its not an excuse for our demise. MON shitty financial management plus a naive Lerner started the rot

That’s a well thought out, structured and presented point of view…

However, I am sticking to my guns and blaming that club, their owners and fans because I’m a spiteful prick and it makes me feel better…

🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

I probably would have been a Bielsa fan at the time before his petulance at Lazio and some of the crap jobs he has done with his outdated methods

He went to Bilbao and they reached two cup finals playing some outstanding football (league performances were mediocre but generally Bilbao are a mid table team). Loved at Marseille even though they blew up end of season (similar happening under Sampaoli now) and obviously Leeds (let's not start that one ahead).

Aside from Lille don't see the annual disasters since 2009.

1 hour ago, DJ_Villain said:

That’s a well thought out, structured and presented point of view…

However, I am sticking to my guns and blaming that club, their owners and fans because I’m a spiteful prick and it makes me feel better…

🤣

TBF people were pointing out at the time we were spending over 80% of our turnover on wages and how unsustainable that would be if we didn't meet our objectives and/or Lerner decided to cut back overnight....

Spurs around that time were paying 65-70% of their turnover on wages and giving likes of Modric starting contracts of 25k a week (someone like Sidwell must've been on 50k here) so that's the limitations of a domestic transfer approach sometimes.

Let's hope history dosen't repeat itself with what Gerrard seemingly wants to do eh.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He went to Bilbao and they reached two cup finals playing some outstanding football (league performances were mediocre but generally Bilbao are a mid table team). Loved at Marseille even though they blew up end of season (similar happening under Sampaoli now) and obviously Leeds (let's not start that one ahead).

Aside from Lille don't see the annual disasters since 2009.

Lazio was were his reputation collapsed😉 then Lille he nearly got them relegated 

He needed to adapt after Bilbao and he didnt and his 2nd season a bit of late form stopped a relegation battöe

That Lille team he nearly got relegated, Galtier pretty much immediately turned around into a Champion's League outfit (and eventual champions) as well.

• 5 months later...
9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

For somebody with such thin skin, his adventures on Twitter could be interesting 

He probably just joined to hawk his book and won't post much or bother to read comments. 

• Like 3

The man responsible for our last, best chance to crack the top of the league. Nearly did it, after spending a complete fortune (I think we'd have got 4th if Laursen never got retired) but ultimately left the club and it's owner so drained of resources and energy that it started a chain of events that lead to our relegation and which could be argued we've never truly recovered from. 

He did a few interviews after he left us so I don't expect any major revelations other than him and Lerner just fell out because he couldn't sign Aidan McGeady and whichever other massively overpiced British players he wanted that summer. Probably more interested in the squad relations, I imagine he'll have a bit to say on Carew and Reo-Coker amongst others, maybe Baros aswell.

Chapter on his short spell at Forest should be interesting aswell although half of it will just be Clough anecdotes. 

• Like 1

On 06/05/2022 at 16:20, VillaChris said:

Can remember Muntari running through our midfield in one game at VP and smashing it in top corner from 25 yards.

I was at that game and we lost 0-3.

Flew back from the US to go and see us.  Got absolutely drenched as it rained all day, stepped in a puddle up to my calf so my feet were soaked.

The only joy were the fans around us yelling at Gabby to just fall over whenever he got near the box from one of our defenders hooooofs.

Eventually he did and actually won us a dubious penalty.

Which we missed.

Always a great time being a Villa fan.

• Haha 1

Â