Martin O'Neill

maqroll

O'Neill did all p*** in our cornflakes the day he left Villa, I was really upset as we cannot deny the preceding three to four seasons were good.

He signed good players and some bad ones yet consistently had us top six.

Totally left us high and dry though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Can't stand the guy, I still remember like yesterday the Heskey signing and how disappointed I was. I was vocal on here about being against it when we so many on here was for it. 

He just had such a limited scope and I guess the one word in general which best describes him is 'Limited'. 

This is it with MON. A better manager would get more out of the resources he had and left us in a better position for the future. 

3 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Can't stand the guy, I still remember like yesterday the Heskey signing and how disappointed I was. I was vocal on here about being against it when we so many on here was for it. 

He just had such a limited scope and I guess the one word in general which best describes him is 'Limited'. 

Although I was on board with at the time, there was always the nagging thought that it was the wrong signing at the time, and epitomised how I felt about MON but went along with as we were consistently doing well with him.

Always felt his lack of imagination in the transfer market held us back from becoming a truly exciting force and making that next step.

• Like 1

MON built a castle of sand and helped to send us into the abyss, anchoring us with overpayed, average players content to wait out their long deals. Toxic legacies and toxic dressing rooms. For all the good times, it wasn’t sustainable. The Heskey signing summed it up. The biggest chance we had a top 4 finish and he blew it. Made us a laughing stock in Europe. Built a squad that could only go 60 minutes a game. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

MON built a castle of sand and helped to send us into the abyss, anchoring us with overpayed, average players content to wait out their long deals. Toxic legacies and toxic dressing rooms. For all the good times, it wasn’t sustainable. The Heskey signing summed it up. The biggest chance we had a top 4 finish and he blew it. Made us a laughing stock in Europe. Built a squad that could only go 60 minutes a game. 

I remember Terry pointing out how we always got tired and couldn't finish games after Chelsea beat us 7-1.

MON signed so many players on ridiculous wages then only ever played the same few people. 

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

O'Neill did all p*** in our cornflakes the day he left Villa, I was really upset as we cannot deny the preceding three to four seasons were good.

He signed good players and some bad ones yet consistently had us top six.

Totally left us high and dry though!

He did but was nowhere near the top 6 of today, think we had the 5th highest wage budget in the league and was mainly a big 2 of United and Chelsea

Said it before but what annoys me is how so many people outside of Villa still think he was this great manager who we were lucky to have. Hardly anyone outside of Villa seems to understand how much of it was built on sand and how much money he wasted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Are there a subsection of the fan base that still respect this fraud? I really have no interest in hearing his revisionist history. Probably blames everyone but himself. 

Oh yes, they also supported another Old Firm charlatan that recently managed Villa

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Delusional curmudgeon - who was gonna buy the likes of Reo-Coker from us? The amount of money he wasted and still never signed a formidable striker or right back. Can’t stand him. 

I think what he was suggesting there was that he had expected more from NRC and Sidwell In terms of their performances, not money from selling them. 

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He'd admit to anything if it meant conning a few Villa fans to buy his book.

Not that I think he needs or is into money good sales would just boost his already inflated ego 

to be honest the interview means i probably wont be buying it now. basically covered the only chapter i was interested in reading.

• Like 1

He didn't leave us in a mess, Lerner did.

A football manager isn't an economist.

Lerner should have put his foot down if we did risky deals.

Football clubs who get in a mess financially it always comes down to the owner. Always.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:
2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I remember Terry pointing out how we always got tired and couldn't finish games after Chelsea beat us 7-1.

MON signed so many players on ridiculous wages then only ever played the same few people. 

Built a squad that could only go 60 minutes a game. 

I was coaching with a guy who is good friends with a few of the staff that were at Everton and ManUre at the time of his appointment.  We were having a few drinks and to a man they told me that his teams were notorious for fading off, both in terms of at the end of matches and the end of seasons.  I didn't want to believe it at the time as he'd just come in and hope was high, BUT How right they were...

47 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

He didn't leave us in a mess, Lerner did.

A football manager isn't an economist.

Lerner should have put his foot down if we did risky deals.

Football clubs who get in a mess financially it always comes down to the owner. Always.

MON demanded 100% control and got it, is it a weakness from Lerner? No doubt. But MON is far more accountable given the transfers, the failures and what he behind. 

• Like 2

Â