Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

It's pretty messed up that the woman is always the one that wants but the man is the one who has to ask.

In all acts of submission, punishment and psychological domination, the victim always has to ask to be punished and then thank the person in the dominant role, afterwards.

The man proposing on his knees is engaged in an exact same ritual.

You really do spout some drivel.

I think MMV has been hurt by women before. He seems to be EXTREMELY cynical of everything female.

Well the book in his avatar follows the pattern.  Although I somewhat agree with it.

I think MMV takes it to the extreme but there are some circumstances where gender equality is clearly not being observed. Case in point being the new Harpic TV advert with the fireman and the bloke in a shiny white suit. Reverse the gender roles there and it would be banned on the grounds it is clearly staggeringly sexist. Ditto for all of diet cokes advertising pretty much ever. All the while two differering sets of standards are applied to the genders there will never be equality.

That said on a tangent "equality" for both genders will never be achieveable. Its impossibe.Equality of opportunity is the key in circumstances where gender equality is appropriate. Poor example but building sites attact more males than females because of the nature of the work. If a woman wants to work there, they should be able to do so and should recieve equal consideration for jobs.

• Like 1

I think MMV takes it to the extreme but there are some circumstances where gender equality is clearly not being observed. Case in point being the new Harpic TV advert with the fireman and the bloke in a shiny white suit. Reverse the gender roles there and it would be banned on the grounds it is clearly staggeringly sexist. Ditto for all of diet cokes advertising pretty much ever. All the while two differering sets of standards are applied to the genders there will never be equality.

That said on a tangent "equality" for both genders will never be achieveable. Its impossibe.Equality of opportunity is the key in circumstances where gender equality is appropriate. Poor example but building sites attact more males than females because of the nature of the work. If a woman wants to work there, they should be able to do so and should recieve equal consideration for jobs.

only.jpg

• Like 1

While Mmv has gone a bit full retard about it I do actually think its bizarre and unfair that in this day and age it is the sole responsibility of the man to have to use a large chunk of his savings to show a grand gesture of love while getting nothing back.

For a coming together of two people it sure is a one sided affair.

Well it's actually a moot point really as when you get married it's both your savings. If you don't get married she gives the ring back. Simples

It's pretty messed up that the woman is always the one that wants but the man is the one who has to ask.

In all acts of submission, punishment and psychological domination, the victim always has to ask to be punished and then thank the person in the dominant role, afterwards.

The man proposing on his knees is engaged in an exact same ritual.

You really do spout some drivel.

I think MMV has been hurt by women before. He seems to be EXTREMELY cynical of everything female.

That is about as thoughtful a reaction as calling a feminist a lesbian.

I'm guessing that at some point in time, in a past relationship, MMV's missus offered to make him some ice cream. He asked for Vanilla flavour. She made him chocolate flavour.

Game over.

Works with his username and there's a bonus DHUTWU joke buried in there somewhere too, top work.

As with so many other subjects regarding fairness and equal rights, there is a school of thought that says there's only so much equality to go round. Therefore, in order for someone else to have a slice of the pie, it follows that you must be about to lose yours.

Whereas in ages gone by it was tenable to defend a superior position on the basis that another section of society (commoners, women, black people, delete as appropriate) was incapable of looking after their own interests, contemporary social conservatism has adopted it's own version of the jargon previously used by it's opponents. Gradually the very sections of society who not only profited from past inequalities, but were often instrumental in fighting to preserve them have been forced to shift the parameters of their debate to fall into new socially accepted norms. So now we hear about "reverse discrimination" being the real enemy of a totally egalitarian society, as opposed to the very real legacy of thousands of years of cultural chauvinism/racism/whatever that is still relatively entrenched in the world. The fact that even the most virulent views are nowadays cloaked in the flowery language of post 1960s idealism seems to illustrate this perfectly.

Using the idea that men are in some way the victims of the institution of marriage seems to be a perfect example of that, being both ignorant of the broader historical context and totally f*****g disingenuous. As far as I can make out, the central premise being made by those who support this idea is that because women have become financially independent enough to command a stronger bargaining position, this somehow equates to a gender apartheid being pushed forwards by a lesbian fifth column.

Edited by B94villa
  • Like 2

I think it's actually a shame that there's so much of palava about equality, that we can't actually celebrate what's good about being both male and female and the difference they bring to the table.

Difference is good, but I agree if there's two people doing the same job, they should be paid accordingly.

Well, yes, basically it is, much of the time. I mean, come the day that women make up 98% of FTSE100 CEO's, 75% of the legislature, nearly all of the judiciary, nearly every newspaper editorship, earn more for doing the same amount of work, make up the vast majority of perpetrators in cases of sexual abuse and domestic violence, and we're sat round discussing this on Villa Ladies Talk, then yeah, fair enough. 

But hey, you know, there's a Harpic advert. So there's that. 

Your analysis is totally at odds with feminist thinking.

The woman in the picture is the famous feminist advocate Anita Sarkeesian who runs the campaign called Feminist Frequency, which campaigns against negative sexist tropes in video games (violence against women, women as decoration & women being rescued), which she claims make the men and boys who play those games sexist and gives them negative stereotypes of women.

So, if she believes that, and you agree with her, then logically you should also believe that the deluge of media images portraying men as idiots, or being physically abused, must give women sexist ideas that men are both useless, feel no pain, and are disposable.

So yes, according to feminist thinking, the misandric Harpic advert should be condemned.

Although your sarcasm and irony are a delight, I am not sure swapping the people in the top jobs from men to women, would solve the problems of the majority of ordinary women - I am sure they would prefer to have their working credits index-linked. 

You seem overly concerned by the failure of women to break into a class, I assume, as a Lefty, you normally despise: there surely must be as little consolation in seeing women getting their extravagant bonuses, as it is to see men get them.

Your claim that women are paid less for the exact same work and that domestic violence is only committed by men, has been challenged by several studies.

When Erin Pizzey, who started shelters for women in the 1970s, said that in most cases both partners initiated domestic violence: feminists threatened her family and shot her dog; she was forced to emigrate. 

Men and women are not equal. They differ in many many ways. As for work equality, the majority of women in the world will have children. Which means the majority of women you employ will take maternity leave during their life. With a large amount having more than one child. Add to that women take more sick leave on average than men.

If we remove all the rhetoric about equality. Look at it objectively and pragmatically, if you have two equal skilled candidates for a job, both 28 with no kids. You should logically pick the man for the job as you will statistically get more work hours for the same amount of pay.

But cold hard stats are not wanted unless they show inequality towards women. Forget the genetic fact men are more competitive by nature, which translates into stronger ambition on average than women.

But of course all this is sexist talk if ever spoken blah blah

• Like 2

Men and women are not equal. They differ in many many ways. As for work equality, the majority of women in the world will have children. Which means the majority of women you employ will take maternity leave during their life. With a large amount having more than one child. Add to that women take more sick leave on average than men.

If we remove all the rhetoric about equality. Look at it objectively and pragmatically, if you have two equal skilled candidates for a job, both 28 with no kids. You should logically pick the man for the job as you will statistically get more work hours for the same amount of pay.

But cold hard stats are not wanted unless they show inequality towards women. Forget the genetic fact men are more competitive by nature, which translates into stronger ambition on average than women.

But of course all this is sexist talk if ever spoken blah blah

All true but your poor grasp of the definition of 'equality' leads you astray.  ;)

There are two definitions in gender politics - equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.

So if one gender can claim that they are inherently disadvantaged, they can demand that their disadvantages be taken into account and the system changed accordingly.

Therefore, if they can make a case that women are held back due to the inherent chauvinism of the patriarchy, then there should be a law which makes preferential treatment for women compulsory.

In the absence of a law, there is a simple remedy at hand for all true male feminists: when applying for jobs or promotion, they should withdraw their application if they find they are in competition with a woman.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

It's the best man for the job not woman.

All jokes aside I'm sure Irreverentad would not like us talking about this in what is one of the best threads on VT. 

In the absence of RV talking about golden showers and bonking the postman, we definitely need some humour:

Here's Chris Rock talking about female hypergamy.

Definitely NWS.

• Like 1

Â