Look at me Mum, I'm on telly!

GarethRDR

So, anybody been on the gogglebox for their 15 minutes o' fame? I've never had a proper appearance myself, but a few brief cameos...

•Can be seen skulking in the background of the Natural History museum on an episode of That's Life! whilst my Dad was made to dance with a guy in a dinosaur suit. I were only a nipper.

•Couple years back, getting crushed in Brixton Academy during a ¡Forward, Russia! gig that was filmed for a short segment on MTV2.

And that's it. I'd love to do a gameshow sometime, but wouldn't know where to start and most gameshows these days are cack anyway. Though my missus' Mum was on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?, but never got into the damn hotseat.

I appeared on tv back in the 80's as a young lad. It was on Motd, and it was Villa playing at Kenilworth Road against Luton Town. I was seen a couple of time nervously chewing my Villa scarf, we lost 2-1 I think, with Frankie Bunn scoring a late winner for Luton. :(

Also, I'm ashamed to say that you could see me in the crowd for the show Deal or No Deal a few years ago now when it was fairly new, I blame my Wife who made me go to see it with her. I didn't know what i was letting myself in for. :lol:

I have spotted myself in the crowd on MotD several times, and I was on some schools show in about 1986 (probably still got the video somewhere) but that is about it.

there was a tv show for itv called 3D several years ago, im not sure what type of show it was a bit sociological in nature, but anyway the premise for the show was taking someone's postcode people could analyse what type of life they lead. Of the 3 or 4 they used, ours was one, so my family was part of this show for the whole day. I was about 12 or so at the time and I look back at cringy interviews they did with us all. Partly I hate my own voice on camera anyway, so as we were a rural type with farms and cows and stuff there's a segment where they're panning across the animals, and I just go "mmm nice steak!" in a trying to show off as only 12 year old rocket polishers do. I know it's absolutely nothing but for a very neurotic yout h I looked back on it with shame later on. They were with us for a whole day for about 12 mins footage aswell. Was such a bore. Couldn't play computer games while they interviewed my parents :(

EDIT: just remembered, worst bit of all this was realising someone I knew had actually seen it, said it had been shown in a sociology class about 4-5 years later! :shock: So it was still around and not quite confined to the ether. There's a fear that somewhere, some people are still watching that in a sociology class somewhere :(

When I was travelling in Canada I was going through the hostels recommends and one of them was "be a part of the audience" for a daytime show in Canada! So I turned up and I was. Daytime TV is daytime TV though and I was bored senseless, but the camera pan across seemed to start on the end where I was sitting so presumably for those two shows ( they filmed two in one go ) I was there.

As a youngster one of my friends birthdays was in a foresty place, nature walk type thing and we came across Michaela Strachan and TV crew ( yummy ) who was on kids tv all the time then, and they with crew sang happy birthday to him, whilst us 9 year olds just quietly fancied the arse off Michaela.

At school also around the time I was 12-13, some guys were doing a local video anthem for the 1998 World Cup and came to our school so we were the extras but they also filmed us playing football for cutaway shots, where I was on the wing 8) but they just wanted a couple of goals but we were so shit they had to fake a couple of goals after 40 minutes of failure :lol: That was on the ITV West Mids news, and there was also video as well.

Back when Villa were good and the UEFA cup wasn't shit, Villa Park, Villa V's Trabzonspor (you know the game) about the 89th minute the camera zooms in on my face chewing my lip nervously. Also, As I was front row centre at Wembley Stadium for Oasis' gigs I appear a number of times on the Standing on the Shoulders of Giants DVD.

I could be seen on an episode of...actually I've forgotten but I think it was called "Heart of the Country" or something. I was watching Sharon Davies compete in the "country olympics". She had a good standing long jump.

I could later be seen finishing 3rd in the junior cross country event.

I still get noticed to this day for that*

*obviously a lie

I worked as an extra on a short lived BBC series called Mortimer's Law back in the late nineties. My overriding memory of which was spending the day filling my face in the catering truck.

One of my big regrets in life was never applying to go on Knightmare because none of my mates would agree to be the one who had to wear the helmet :lol:

I was interviewed by ATV News at Cairngorm mountain in December last year, when Britain was covered in snow. I had driven there from North Devon in a Ford Focus for a weekends snowboarding, which was much enjoyed.

One of my big regrets in life was never applying to go on Knightmare because none of my mates would agree to be the one who had to wear the helmet :lol:

Join the club. If I won the lottery, I'd bring back Knightmare. :cry:

I'm on 'Flog It' loads of times.

Actually, I'm on it once but thats the beauty of sky......repeats!! 8)

Its a bit deceiving actually, because what you see people bidding for is'nt really what they're bidding for. I suppose its to protect the buyers from advertising what it is they actually end up buying. Makes sense, but whenever its on everyone I see asks me why I paid such a mad price for a pile of old tat, when I did'nt....honest.

Oh, and although it was'nt the telly, I was on the front of the Mail, loud and proud, in the midst of the chaos when Rangers 'occupied' the Holte in that nightmare friendly. Nothing to be proud of now, I can assure you and the thraping I got of the old man when he saw the picture was more than enough to make me think twice ever again.

Fame, eh?

Been on the radio many times, but not much TV. I've spotted myself in the crowd at the match a fair few times, including seeing myself calling Steve Carr a "F*****g Bluenose Clearing In The Woods!" One of my proudest moments.

I was a studio guest for Norwegian TV coverage of a Villa game a few years ago. I think we beat the Baggies 2-1 and I was particularily pleased with my accurate prediction that we would sign Heskey and my half time tactical analysis of Stilyan Petrov's role in a 4-5-1.

Got a few ones, included one that is pretty spectacular, even if I do say so myself :)

Richard Bacon came running down our street one morning as part of the Big Breakfast. They used to do this game show type thing where he would run down a random street in a random town and knock on a random door and ask them for a random object. I used to watch it every morning anyway, but one morning my mother shouted up the stair; "you'll never guess who is down the road - put BB on!". So me and my pals hang around for awhile, and were stood in the audience (which comprised of about 8 people!) when they did the competition bit. The mayoress turned up aswell, told us we had her special permission to be late for school! Wonderful we thought. Got to school, acting all smarmy and gave our excuse to teach that we had the Mayoress' permission to be late. For some reason she did not believe us.

I have also been in the audience for Deal or No Deal a few times. I was pretty obsessed with it at uni, me and 2 others went down to Bristol on 2 occasions. Once was for a morning session, where you see 2 games, and the other time was for an afternoon where we saw 1. On every occasion the player had a terrible game, and on 2 occasions we saw tears. Glorious stuff.

My best though, and something which I am pretty certain will never be topped in my entire life - I played for a really bad sunday league side when I was 9/10. We were so bad we lost every game in the season, the worst being 0-27 and we never ever scored. The BBC thought that was wonderful, so we were picked to go on a game show.

It was called Whatever You Want and was on Saturday nights, hosted by Gabby Roslin. We were to compete against 2 other really terrible sunday league sides of the same age group, but we had the worst record. The competition was an against the clock penalty shoot out. Gary Mabbut placed the balls on the spot for us, and Peter Shilton was in goal. It was a very tense affair. We scored 5 in the first round, and one of the other teams had too, so we had to have another head-to-head. They went first, scored 5 again. It was down to the final few seconds - we had scored 4 - then, with Shilton making a save to his left, he exposed the right hand side of the goal, and with that the next 2 penos were converted in the final seconds. We had finally won a game :)

Our parents and manager knew the prize, but we didnt. It was revealed to us just after we had won, with the cameras rolling. It was an all expenses paid trip to Barcelona. We would see them play at Camp Nou, and meet the players after watching them train. The highlight though, was a training session with Bobby Robson. If you recall that '96 Barcelona team, it was really something. The only super star we didn't meet was Ronaldo, which was a shame. But he did score a brace in the game we saw, with Barca running out 4-0 winners over....Sevilla, I think. A magical experience and one that can never be replecated! :D

I'd love to do a gameshow sometime, but wouldn't know where to start and most gameshows these days are cack anyway.

I think Pointless is worth a go. Great show! I virtually run hoem from work and usually catch the last 20 minutes or so. It finishes on BBC1 at 6 before the news. For the last couple of weeks they have been saying apply for the new series at the website or what have you.

Was in the background playing football on kids programme Woof! where the ginger kid turns into a dog. We were so far away we couldn't recognise ourselves but my silky skills were unmistakable.

Â