Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

Just now, Genie said:

Looked like a horrible leg break there, proper flopping around as he fell :(

Terrible game, and how annoying is that trumpet player??

trumpet player was brought in as a dig at the Welsh FA as their trumpet player was banned

disgraceful attitude and trumpeting

Just now, Zatman said:

trumpet player was brought in as a dig at the Welsh FA as their trumpet player was banned

disgraceful attitude and trumpeting

Ah right, I wasn't aware of the background to it. Just came across incredibly annoying. 

Just back from  the aviva . You couldn't have anything but illwill for the Welsh after that disgusting tackles from both Taylor and Bale. I hope they get their just deserts from it. A horrible way to play. Not Bales first time at shit like that either. 

• Like 1

Seamus Coleman is one of my favourite players, horrible to see him get an injury like that.

Lesser of two evils would be a clean break...he should be back by Xmas.

Anything worse and he'll miss most of next season and possibly a world cup.

• Like 1

not a doctor but would if was as bad as Bouma injury. He came back and even made teh Euros squad. Valencia had a bad one recently as well and he playing his best football of career at moment

hopefully he can recover like them 2

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not a doctor but would if was as bad as Bouma injury. He came back and even made teh Euros squad. Valencia had a bad one recently as well and he playing his best football of career at moment

Or he could come back like Jordan Amavi :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He'll recover but we're talking about one of the best RBs in the league imo, someone I think could easily play for a top 4 club.

Tough to get back to that level.

The Bouma injury was a joint, his ankle - it's different to the kind of break Coleman has - hopefully he'll come back, but it's the kind of injury that ended careers on every occasion even ten years ago.

There were a number of pretty rough challenges during the game and it got more physical as it went on - oddly enough, if the referee had sent Whelan off for the forearm smash on Joe Allen in the first half, it might have calmed things down a bit. Horrible challenges by both Bale and Taylor, but sadly, neither out of context with a game that was always about heart and passion more than skill.

• Like 1

Sounds like some real bad blood between these two teams. Chris Coleman called it "a typical British football match", not sure the Irish will be too pleased to hear that..

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Bouma injury was a joint, his ankle - it's different to the kind of break Coleman has - hopefully he'll come back, but it's the kind of injury that ended careers on every occasion even ten years ago.

There were a number of pretty rough challenges during the game and it got more physical as it went on - oddly enough, if the referee had sent Whelan off for the forearm smash on Joe Allen in the first half, it might have calmed things down a bit. Horrible challenges by both Bale and Taylor, but sadly, neither out of context with a game that was always about heart and passion more than skill.

I think Alan Smith's was the joint too. Both ended them physically as footballers.

Off the top of my head it looks very similar to Djibril Cisse's and Larsson's and that certainly never held them back physically.

C73bgYbW0AEJWRD.jpg

Word from the returning Barrybados boys: a great trip out, the only slight niggle being Irish FA telling everyone instruments were banned from the the ground due to local residents having imposed a noise ban. Then once inside the ground, the Irish had an 'official' band for their supporters. So, as with all blazer wearing football committee types, they lacked a bit of class there.

Actual people in actual pubs: all good.

South Wales Police accompanied the fans over and report no arrests from Thursday through to Saturday. Less trouble than a non-football weekend.

• Like 1

I believe Coleman is a doubt for this one.

The Ireland team that must play Iceland is very inexperienced but very bloody exciting

I certainly agree on Hourihane.  It's perfect for him to make his mark.  Just don't get injured!

It's a friendly.

The next competitive fixture isn't until June.

The next one after that isn't until September.

Martin O'Neill has three friendlies challenge games now before the visit of Austria and the start of the second half of the World Cup qualifiers to see what else he's working with. There's an abundance of fresh, exciting talent lying in the Irish squad but, with the Euros in the summer and then straight into the thick of it with qualifier action, there was no real reasonable opportunity to try out the untested.

During the goalless draw with Wales on Friday night, fans were crying out for Daryl Horgan to be unleashed. He's still relatively an unknown quantity, he still has no fear in him, and everyone on this island knows that he can be destructive at his best.

He might've scared Wales shitless, especially when they went down to 10 men.

The Preston winger wasn't the only man who could've felt hard done by though. It was only last summer we were falling over ourselves about Callum O'Dowda, for example. And Conor Hourihane is proving what a top class and brilliantly solid midfielder he is at Aston Villa.

On Tuesday, the Irish have nothing really to prepare for but the future. It's the last game before they depart again and it's three months out from the next meeting. So Martin O'Neill could do a lot worse that dip into the resources at his disposal and try out a team like this against Iceland.

IRE1.jpg

Keiren Westwood: He's been playing brilliantly but he's behind Darren Randolph so what are you going to do?

Cyrus Christie: Every time he's gotten his opportunity, he's taken it. You need to do more than that to push Seamus Coleman out though. He'll have to make that full back slot his own now.

John O'Shea: We can't just throw out a crowd of youngsters and untried without backing it up with leaders.

Richard Keogh: Him and O'Shea, Clark and Duffy are our four centre half options. No need to stray too far from that.

Robbie Brady: Because the crowd deserve him after watching that goalless draw the last day and because every time he gets played at left back he does well and it isn't the worst idea anyway. He could well end up there like he did against Austria now the Republic have Arter playing and McClean firing.

David Meyler: Over the last 18 months, he has been Ireland's most underrated player. Deserves a run in the team.

Conor Hourihane: Ripping it up for Villa. Very sound defensively and a wand of a left foot for deadly set piece deliveries.

Daryl Horgan: Set him free.

Aiden McGeady: Proved with just 10 minutes on Friday that his club form wasn't just paper talk. In hindsight, we could've done with him sooner but this is another chance for him to prove himself.

Callum O'Dowda: Energetic, direct, skillful. O'Neill can play the like of O'Dowda and Horgan to see what they bring to the table but also to check if they can cope with the defensive demands. Then, when it really matters, like it did on Friday, he can trust these boys.

Shane Long: Because we never played him a pass the last day.

23 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

He seems to be settling in after a tricky start, but I can't think that any Villa fan would describe him as "ripping it up" for us at the moment.

Probably written by someone who's looked at his stats, and looked at the team he plays for, and put 2 and 2 together to get 5.

Nevertheless, would love to see him play that game

I like that he's being recognised and getting positive press.  That the compliments may be a little OTT is fine with me :)  We (as in Aston Villa) already get slaughtered enough.

Â