Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

20 hours ago, BOF said:

Agreed @sparrow1988. We're really good to watch and there's a new generation coming through together with a decent bit of ability there. I think the poor recent opponents will be a benefit because you need to get a few wins under your belt and build up a bit of belief and confidence at some point. Those matches came along at exactly the right time in Kenny's tenure. The players will at least see now that this approach can work. It almost nearly worked against 12-man Portugal the other week.

I nearly think that these two games were more important for the fans than rather than the players to see that it can work.  The players have always said Kenny is doing a good job, although the wins will help the players on also. Doherty said last week that the training is as good as he has had. Compare that with the murmurs that used to come from the players under MON’s tenure - no plan, team picked an hour before you go out on the pitch, players figuring out a formation from the players that were starting.

Hopefully a win against the might of Luxembourg and a decent showing against Portugal next time round will help to carry a bit of momentum in to the Nations League. 

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Good Christ, Scott Hogan has been called up again. 

You know better than me, but aren't Ireland's alternative striking options all also rubbish? I mean I don't rate any out of Idah, Parrott or Connolly, based on what I've seen.

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You know better than me, but aren't Ireland's alternative striking options all also rubbish? I mean I don't rate any out of Idah, Parrott or Connolly, based on what I've seen.

In theory yes but last few games Callum Robinson has hit form, I think 7 goals in 4 games. Idah is also playing well but just cant score like a Keinan Davis type but I think he got a bad injury in the last few weeks

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In theory yes but last few games Callum Robinson has hit form, I think 7 goals in 4 games. Idah is also playing well but just cant score like a Keinan Davis type but I think he got a bad injury in the last few weeks

Fair, I forgot Callum Robinson.

• 1 month later...

If people don't know the "Finding Jack Charlton" documentary is on Prime if people haven't seen it when it first came out.  Very sad to see him like that though but seeing his reactions when watching old footage and remembering Paul McGrath and singing rebel songs brought a wee smile to my face. A legend for England and Ireland. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

If people don't know the "Finding Jack Charlton" documentary is on Prime if people haven't seen it when it first came out.  Very sad to see him like that though but seeing his reactions when watching old footage and remembering Paul McGrath and singing rebel songs brought a wee smile to my face. A legend for England and Ireland. 

Even though he played for Leeds, there was always something genuine about Jack the player.

As the manager of Ireland he was something special. The bond he had with that group of characters in the World Cup was exceptional. The Villa links to The Irish team just add to the enjoyment of their achievements.☘️

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

Even though he played for Leeds, there was always something genuine about Jack the player.

As the manager of Ireland he was something special. The bond he had with that group of characters in the World Cup was exceptional. The Villa links to The Irish team just add to the enjoyment of their achievements.☘️

It's how I started my love affair with Villa back in 94, I was 8. won the league cup with a team that had key Irish players then watching the Villa Irish players perform at USA94, Houghton's goal v Italy, Still remember it like yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

It's how I started my love affair with Villa back in 94, I was 8. won the league cup with a team that had key Irish players then watching the Villa Irish players perform at USA94, Houghton's goal v Italy, Still remember it like yesterday.

Favourite Villa Irishmen ( ignoring borders) could start a thread of its own. I’ll kick off with;

Peter McParland, Chris Nicholl, Sammy Morgan, Eamonn Dearcy, Dunne

plus Jacks boys. McGrath, Townsend, Staunton, Houghton, Cascarino

Slainte!!

• Thanks 1

I'll mention Peter McParland and Pat Jennings as they are from my home town.  Although majority have only heard of Jennings. The older ones remember both.

McGrath without question the rest of Jacks Villa boys. soft spot for David Healy, always played well for the North.

McAteer, Duff, 2xKeane, Neil Lennon.

There was actually a documentary the other day on RTE after one of the Champions League games about the split between the two Associations.  Very interesting so it was.  Can't mind the name of though. 

4 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

I am the same, a similar age and its how I became a fan as well

4 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

I'll mention Peter McParland and Pat Jennings as they are from my home town.  Although majority have only heard of Jennings. The older ones remember both.

McGrath without question the rest of Jacks Villa boys. soft spot for David Healy, always played well for the North.

McAteer, Duff, 2xKeane, Neil Lennon.

There was actually a documentary the other day on RTE after one of the Champions League games about the split between the two Associations.  Very interesting so it was.  Can't mind the name of though. 

maybe not McAteer :P he scored that goal but is way behind Shay Given or Richard Dunne in talent. Even Matt Holland or Steven Reid were better

Â