Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I think the main problem for the ROI these days compared to in the 90's is there seems to be a shortage of English players with Irish grandparents. ;)

YVwP1UF.gif

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

MON and Ronald Koeman are now in a very public dispute about James McCarthy. MON and his medical staff are being made to look inept and is not coming out of it well

Didn't Keane lay into Everton a few months back?

Martin O'Neill. The same man who played the same 11 week in week out for the season, ran them into the ground until they were all shot to shit and out season collapsed....giving lectures on player conditioning and maintenance. Right.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

What's Horgan like? Seems to be highly rated?

He is very direct and creative. Not just because he looks like him but he reminds me of Damien Duff lite and shone in Europa League games for Dundalk

think we probably missed out as he was a Bosman but Preston perfect place for him to develop

• Like 1

The Republic of Ireland women's team's clash with Slovakia next week could be called off amid a row with their national governing body.

A group of 13 players held a press conference in Dublin on Tuesday to express their growing disquiet as they fight for compensation from the Football Association of Ireland for lost earnings while on international duty and improved resources.

Captain Emma Byrne said: "What we want is for the FAI to empower and enable our players to commit to training camps and international games without having to worry about taking unpaid leave from work or being forced to use up all of their holidays."

The women have enlisted the backing of the Professional Footballers' Association of Ireland (PFAI) in their fight over a series of issues, including a demand for match fees of 300 Euros, bonuses of 150 Euros for a win and 75 Euros for a draw, gym membership for the squad and the provision of team clothing - with some players claiming they have had to change in airport toilets to hand back tracksuits after games.

However, the PFAI, which is affiliated to the Services, Industrial, Professional and Technical Union (SIPTU), claims the FAI has refused to enter into negotiations with it.

PFAI official Stuart Gilhooly told a press conference: "There is a possibility that the game against Slovakia will not go ahead. The last thing the women's international team want is to not play a game."

However, the FAI insisted it had made repeated overtures to resolve the situation.

It released a statement, which read: "The Football Association of Ireland is deeply disappointed that members of the Republic of Ireland Women's National Team have threatened to withdraw from playing for their country in the upcoming match versus Slovakia on April 10, 2017.

"The ultimatum by the players concerned comes in spite of repeated invitations from the FAI to the players to discuss clear and tangible financial offers for the payment and compensation of members of the squad.

"Repeated efforts by the Association have been made in a bid to encourage the players to row back from their unprecedented ultimatum.

"On five occasions in recent months, the FAI has attempted to bring the Players to the table, only to have the offer rebuked at every turn.

shameful again from the FAI and dont think anybody in Ireland has any faith in this organisation anymore. Chief executive gets 400k a year while clubs go bust in league and now this shambles

http://www.independent.ie/sport/republic-of-ireland-women-face-uncertainty-over-slovakia-tie-after-row-with-fai-35593579.html

• 4 months later...

Georgia pretty much gave you play offs last time as they took out Scotland when they were above ROI with a few games left. I'm pretty sure they trashed Wales a few years back. On their away patch they're not a no hoper team.

It's a very tight group. After what ROI did last time I wouldn't rule you out beating Serbia and suddenly being in pole position for 2nd again as Wales still have to play in Georgia.

Edited by VillaChris

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I haven't followed it much but you are still only two pts adrift of Serbia and ahead of Wales and Austria. Its not that bad a campaign is it

the level of performance and tactics have been shit, the style of football has been worse and the fact we have dropped 6 points in last 3 games in winnable games that could have put us in control of the group

Ireland finished the last game with 4 wide players in midfield

It's not a great crop to call upon though is it...it's a bit different to the Trap era when he was genuinely ignoring up and coming premier league regulars like Coleman and McCarthy and continued playing likes of Keith Andrews and St Ledger regardless of what they were doing at club level.

When I see the ROI squad posted I look at the names and think hardworking and tough to beat. Is there really anyone decent not being called up. It's alright saying give Hoolahan a free role but the bloke is 35, dosen't really start much for Norwich and is wildly inconsistent in performances. He's not the sort you can build your team round for next 5 years.

Being tough to beat works pretty well for many teams at international level. It works for Northern Ireland and Wales.

This is better ireland squad than under Trap who had our best generation on its last legs. Probably more top flight players too than trap had

Starting XI saturday had only Christie that has no top flight experience and 8 play in premier league with 2 others starters last season dropping to Championship in summer

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ireland finished the last game with 4 wide players in midfield

MON :crylaugh:Let me guess, there was a center back pushed up front, a right back playing left back and James Milner went to right back?

Edited by TheAuthority

Â