Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

not a chance Martin O'Neill will put a team like that out even if its a friendly, Hourihane might start but not a chance he would play all them 3 behind Long. I be shocked if Long even starts as think he was a doubt for Friday game

3 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

This current Ireland team is shockingly bereft of any real quality. They'd struggle to get to mid table in the championship. Love rooting for them but if they get to another big competition with this team it would be a miracle. 

Objectively that's not true.  Most of the first choicers play in the Premier League and then the likes of Hourihane, Horgan, McGeady, Christie etc are some of the better players in the Championship.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

Objectively that's not true.  Most of the first choicers play in the Premier League and then the likes of Hourihane, Horgan, McGeady, Christie etc are some of the better players in the Championship.

Eh it's an exaggeration obviously about the championship. Most of their premier league players, bar Coleman, are squad players for lower table teams. It's subjective but there are many higher profile and more expensive championship players than the likes of Meyler, O'Shea, etc. 

What's not subjective is that Serbia, Austria and Wales all have much higher profile players, that play in better teams and cost much more. 

Still, big fan of this Ireland team. Hope they qualify again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

What's not subjective is that Serbia, Austria and Wales all have much higher profile players, that play in better teams and cost much more.

Agreed.  I was just responding to the Championship claim :):thumb:

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Subjectively surely? This Ireland squad is nowhere near the same sort of quality as 15/20 years back, obviously. Probably not even 5 years ago. They don't even have a player the quality of Richard Dunne, never mind O'Leary. That they're doing as well as they are is down to Martin O'Neill. 

I hope they qualify. I've gone from one extreme to the other with Martin over the years, I'm back to forgiving him and generally liking the silly auld sausage quite a bit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Subjectively surely? This Ireland squad is nowhere near the same sort of quality as 15/20 years back, obviously. Probably not even 5 years ago. They don't even have a player the quality of Richard Dunne, never mind O'Leary. That they're doing as well as they are is down to Martin O'Neill. 

I hope they qualify. I've gone from one extreme to the other with Martin over the years, I'm back to forgiving him and generally liking the silly auld sausage quite a bit. 

It's objective because rather than using my opinion of the players, I'm solely using a quantifiable yardstick i.e. the league that they play in.  Arguing that a side made up mostly of Premier League players would struggle to be midtable in the Championship is subjective, and IMHO cobblers.  But we've cleared up the exaggeration now :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think BOF was referring to the claim that they'd struggle to be mid table in the Championship as opposed to the lack of quality claim.

• Like 2

This generation is nowhere near the last one which was probably our best ever generation of players. The game Friday was like a lower level Championship game and bereft of quality. 

I think this squad does have a very good team spirit and decent talent. Hourihane, Brady, Hendrick, Hoolahan are actual footballers which is something an Ireland team rarely have as a midfield option

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

This generation is nowhere near the last one which was probably our best ever generation of players. The game Friday was like a lower level Championship game and bereft of quality. 

Better than the early-mid 90's? Absolutely no chance. Come on.

Look at the 94 squad - Irwin, McGrath, Townsend, Staunton, Houghton, Aldridge, Keane, etc etc... they actually underperformed IMO. 

• Like 1

dont know a lot of the 94 team were over the hill at that tournament most of he squad were in 30s at that time.

Recently we had Duff, Keane, O'Shea, Dunne, Given, Finnan all  at top 6 teams when Premier League was probably at its strongest but were hamstrung by poor management after 2002 and lacked maybe a quality centre midfielder after Roy Keane retired

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

dont know a lot of the 94 team were over the hill at that tournament most of he squad were in 30s at that time.

Recently we had Duff, Keane, O'Shea, Dunne, Given, Finnan all  at top 6 teams when Premier League was probably at its strongest but were hamstrung by poor management after 2002 and lacked maybe a quality centre midfielder after Roy Keane retired

When you're naming O'Shea and Finnan in comparison to McGrath and Staunton you know you're struggling ;)  

You raised a valid point though about the 94 squad which I concede.

Regardless the quality of player Ireland produced from the late 80's through to the mid 2000's far exceeds what they have right now. O'Neill will have done an excellent job if he gets them there. 

• Like 1

Subdued debut for Hourihane. Couldn't get near to taking any set pieces with the more senior Brady & McGeady on the pitch, and Hendrick playing as the more forward of the centre mids. So a less than ideal scenario in which to shine I think. 

Â