Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

On 05/09/2017 at 21:44, andym said:

I know England have some absolutely brainless players like Oxlade-Chamberlain, but McClean is on another level.

Does he do anything apart from run around kicking people?

On 05/09/2017 at 22:01, Zatman said:

he has the infamous skill of Passion :angry:

On 05/09/2017 at 22:04, rodders0223 said:

Proper Pulis player. Just a big useless nasty shit.

white-guy-blinking-meme-gif.gif

He's there or thereabouts MOTM every time he pulls on the green jersey.  Leaves everything on the pitch and is an absolute beast for us.  I'd say the sheer effort he puts in makes the rest of them try harder too.  In that sense he inspires his team-mates.  One of the first names, if not the first name on the team sheet.

30 minutes ago, BOF said:

He's there or thereabouts MOTM every time he pulls on the green jersey.  Leaves everything on the pitch and is an absolute beast for us.  I'd say the sheer effort he puts in makes the rest of them try harder too.  In that sense he inspires his team-mates.  One of the first names, if not the first name on the team sheet.

All of that is great but at the end of the day it's about end product and he delivers very little. Much like all of our players he's a very limited footballer.

Just now, villa89 said:

All of that is great but at the end of the day it's about end product and he delivers very little. Much like all of our players he's a very limited footballer.

You just highlighted the bits of my post that suited though.  You ignored the MOTM and inspiring team-mates.  A lot of what we do well comes through him too.

Never man of the match for me. He is a liability and a walking red card with his reckless tackling. 

Not to mention his lack of technique and ability

Edited by Zatman

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Never man of the match for me. He is a liability and a walking red card with his reckless tackling. 

Not to mention his lack of technique and ability

Fair enough.  Different strokes etc.  For me we'd be a much poorer team without him in it.

36 minutes ago, BOF said:

You just highlighted the bits of my post that suited though.  You ignored the MOTM and inspiring team-mates.  A lot of what we do well comes through him too.

Err... I highlighted the inspiring team mates and I didn't highlight the MOTM because I don't agree it. My point still stands, he runs around lot and "puts in a shift" but at the end of the day he doesn't really have much end product. 

• Like 1

Oh good ...

fed-up-woman.gif

Report: Martin O'Neill To Be Offered New Deal Regardless Of Qualification

Report: Martin O'Neill To Be Offered New Deal Regardless Of Qualification

report-martin-o-neill-to-be-offered-new-

A report today by Garry Doyle in The Times quotes an unnamed senior FAI source as saying that regardless of what happens in Ireland's two remaining matches, Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane will be offered a two year extension.

Doyle's source claims that injuries to Seamus Coleman and other key players must be taken into consideration when assessing the team and that the FAI "like to think we give our managers time"

If this is accurate, and of course, if O'Neill is willing to accept the new deal, it's an interesting move from the FAI, so close to the results of the last week.

With two games left, qualification appears close to impossible for O'Neill's team.

Ireland sit in third place in the group, after last week's disastrous results, one point behind Wales. Assuming Wales don't slip up away to Georgia, Ireland will need to beat them in Cardiff as well as get three points against Moldova in a double header on October 6th and 9th to get back into second place.

Even then, we would need several results to go our way that week to avoid being the 9th best second place team, thus missing out on a playoff space.

And if that's all unlikely enough as it is, Ireland would then be in the bottom group of teams for the seeded playoffs, meaning the likes of Italy and Holland could await in the potential playoff.

Great.

Given the reaction of supporters and pundits alike since the two games in the last week, it's unclear if this news will be met with much positivity from the Irish football community.

Of course, it is fair to point out that the loss of Seamus Coleman, our captain, talisman, and one world class player, has had a massive impact on the group and on Ireland's performances.

That said, he is just one player. Overall, it's debatable whether or not this Irish squad has suffered more injuries than one typically would over the course of a long campaign.

O'Neill has undoubtedly done a good job at times as Ireland manager, but the trend of results is not good, and issues with the style of play and perceived lack of a gameplan is starting irk fans of the team, while the serious lack of goals from the team is very worrisome.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Was going to say ROI will qualify for the euros if they had the same structure they had last time but they've going with this odd nations league thing which I don't have the first clue on how it works.

Regardless of our terrible manager we don't have the players, there are no young player coming through.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Regardless of our terrible manager we don't have the players, there are no young player coming through.

Yes I think you had about 10 30 year old + players in the squad.

ROI being tough to beat, conceding a goal a game on average and nicking goals from set pieces is always a formula that will get you a decent amount of points from a ten game campaign however.

Out of interest when did ROI last play easy on the eye football to the neutral? Not under Jack. A little under Mick but I can still remember a few goals in the world cup in Japan when the ball was lumped up to Quinn and Keane and Duff reacted to the flick ons. Brian Kerr?

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

and that is the bottom line, Serbia, Wales and Austria all have better players in my view. 

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

ROI being tough to beat, conceding a goal a game on average and nicking goals from set pieces is always a formula that will get you a decent amount of points from a ten game campaign however.

A decent amount of points but but not enough to be close to qualifying which is all that matters. 

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yes I think you had about 10 30 year old + players in the squad.

Out of interest when did ROI last play easy on the eye football to the neutral? Not under Jack. A little under Mick but I can still remember a few goals in the world cup in Japan when the ball was lumped up to Quinn and Keane and Duff reacted to the flick ons. Brian Kerr?

McCarthy played good football and Quinn was mainly used as a impact target man and Duff and Keane were magic players we wont produce again soon (Irish fans are starting to realise how big Keane was for Ireland)

best game we played in last 5 or 6 campaigns was easily the infamous France game in Paris. We battered them that night that better finishing we wouldnt have had the controversy

5 hours ago, villa89 said:

A decent amount of points but but not enough to be close to qualifying which is all that matters. 

Someone isn't looking at the table, you beat Moldova at home which is a cert and Wales only draw in Georgia (which isn't impossible given they drew in Cardiff) and you'll go into the final game one point clear in second.

What will complicate things is 17 points (say a draw in Cardiff) would probably knock you out as worst second place team.

Still it's a better effort than Austria have put up. They have been dismal following on from a poor euros performance.

14 hours ago,  villa89 said: 

and that is the bottom line, Serbia, Wales and Austria all have better players in my view. 

I place the blame for this firmly at the door of the shambles that is the FAI

• 3 weeks later...
Â