Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

Absolutely fantastic achievement by them.  3-0 over Borisov is some doing.

Althouth only in Ireland would the head of the FA (John Delaney *spit*) receive wages triple that of the League Champions' total prize money.  Dundalk would have to win the league 49 times in order to receive the same money that they won last night.  That puts it somewhat into perspective, and also shows the advantage they now have over the other sides in the league.  As long as they don't 'do a Shelbourne' and bite off more than they can chew and end up bust.  First order of business is getting Oriel Park up to scratch.  They had to play last night's match in Shamrock Rovers' Tallaght Stadium.

Looking at potential next round opponents, assuming all goes to form, it'll be one of Olympiakos, Celtic, FC Salzburg, APOEL Nicosia or Viktoria Plzen.  From that lot, it would be fascinating to see them up against Celtic and I really wouldn't see that as a foregone conclusion either.  Dundalk are clearly a dangerous outfit.

8 hours ago, BOF said:

Absolutely fantastic achievement by them.  3-0 over Borisov is some doing.

Althouth only in Ireland would the head of the FA (John Delaney *spit*) receive wages triple that of the League Champions' total prize money.  Dundalk would have to win the league 49 times in order to receive the same money that they won last night.  That puts it somewhat into perspective, and also shows the advantage they now have over the other sides in the league.  As long as they don't 'do a Shelbourne' and bite off more than they can chew and end up bust.  First order of business is getting Oriel Park up to scratch.  They had to play last night's match in Shamrock Rovers' Tallaght Stadium.

Looking at potential next round opponents, assuming all goes to form, it'll be one of Olympiakos, Celtic, FC Salzburg, APOEL Nicosia or Viktoria Plzen.  From that lot, it would be fascinating to see them up against Celtic and I really wouldn't see that as a foregone conclusion either.  Dundalk are clearly a dangerous outfit.

Yeah great achievement... Apparently that means even if they lose in the next round they are guarantee to enter the Europa league.

The manager was on talk sport this morning and sounded very down to earth. Martin ONeil went into the changing rooms after the game to congratulate them.

The players train 40 weeks of the year, considering some of them work as well it's incredible.. 

One of the players transferred over to the championship last year... Anyone worth a gamble on?

well they are practically full time for the 40 weeks but the other 12 weeks they are on dole which is a bit shitty but indicates how league is ran

Kenny is a decent manager in the right job but think Ireland might be too big for him, he struggled at Dunfermline few years back adn Shamrock Rovers in Ireland when had a huge budget for league. I

• 3 weeks later...

sad day with Robbie Keane announcing his international retirement, it was inevitable but a bit sad

I personally think he is one of underrated strikers in last 10-15 years even at Premier League level

• Like 2

Stayed on a good 2-3 years longer at International level than he should've but yep amazing striker for ROI at his peak...probably around the 2002 world cup. Shame we didn't see him and Duff at more international tournaments as they were both well past it in 2012.

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Stayed on a good 2-3 years longer at International level than he should've but yep amazing striker for ROI at his peak...probably around the 2002 world cup. Shame we didn't see him and Duff at more international tournaments as they were both well past it in 2012.

I do believe thats a lost generation of Irish football, not just them 2 but Dunne, Given, O'Shea, Finnan and a few more had good careers but at international level we never got it together

12 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

good player & I agree he stayed on 2-3 years longer than he should have in the international set up 

he probably did but if honest only Long is probably still ahead of him in pecking order as Walters mainly plays a wide role

we brought Daryl Murphy to the Euros :lol:

I don't agree that he stayed on too long.  That he kept getting called up says he made himself available and that there was no-one better to oust him.  A brilliant player who stands up against all bar a select few international strikers' records.  Given the side he was playing in, his scoring record is all the more impressive.  Ireland will do well to see his like again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BOF said:

I don't agree that he stayed on too long.  That he kept getting called up says he made himself available and that there was no-one better to oust him.  A brilliant player who stands up against all bar a select few international strikers' records.  Given the side he was playing in, his scoring record is all the more impressive.  Ireland will do well to see his like again.

I do think a lot of Ireland fans underestimate how good he was, if honest for a few years I was doing the same and then he came to Villa and was easily the most exciting thing in the McLeish season 

• 1 month later...

Ireland will nick a 1-0 or 2-1 as usual...they're pretty good at winning these sort of games home and away.

Edit: That's why you made the last euros...won home and away v Georgia....Scotland being Scotland couldn't.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

40 minutes in and Ireland being dominated and outplayed at home by Georgia :lol:

and some people suggested to bring that tosser back as manager

Er, they won.

16 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Er, they won.

You know those wins where you reverse in arse first against a cabbage opponent and you can derive zero satisfaction from it? One of those. One of the worst performances I've ever seen from us, and I watched Trappatoni. And this isn't one of those "sign of a good team when you play bad and win". The woodwork was our man of the match. 

• Like 3

BOLD prediction for today....

Moldova 0-1 Republic of Ireland.

Seriously when was the last time ROI had a bad result against a pot 5 or 6 team, you'd have to go back to the Staunton days I reckon, you were usually clutch in the Trap era and MON continued that in last campaign winning in Georgia last minute when Scotland couldn't.

Scotland had another poor result against pot 5 team last night.

Just had a quick check....very consistant against the two worst teams in the group. Plenty of bigger nations can't say the same particularly away from home....

September 2008- Georgia 1-2 ROI

October 2008- ROI 1-0 Cyprus 0

Feb 2009- ROI 2-1 Georgia

Sept 2009- Cyprus 1-2 ROI

Sept 2010- Armenia 0-1 ROI

March 2011- Ireland 2-1 Macedonia

June 2011- Macedonia 0-2 ROI

Oct 2011- ROI 2-1 Armenia

Sept 2012- Kazhakstan 1-2 ROI

Oct 2012- Faroes Islands 1-4 ROI

June 2013- ROI 4-1 Faroes

Oct 2013- Ireland 3-1 Kazhakstan

Sept 2014- Georgia 1-2 Ireland

Sept 2015- Ireland 1-0 Georgia

Similar thing there is if you're getting 12 points against two worst teams in the group you're in very good chance of finishing 2nd hence why we regularly see ROI in play offs and the odd tournament. Scotland can't and well don't,

Â