Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

They did their best.

Let's remember how poor ROI were v Belgium...they were a million times better today and pushed the hosts all the way.

France weren't great but still have plenty of match winners in their ranks.

Today just reminded me of one of those occasions when a Barcelona or Man. United under Fergie would be losing at home. Second half they stepped it up, score a couple of goals in quickfire time and win the game.

It happens.

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Apart from the Belgium game, Ireland have acquitted themselves excellently at this tournament

Yeah I said they were poor first two games but they actually played well v Sweden and should've won that comfortably.

End of the day this team is miles off the standard of the 90s and even what Mick had in 2002 with likes of Duff and Robbie Keane upfront and Given  in goal.

It was a very respectable tournament performance. 

I really hoped Ireland would win today. This tournament reminded me a lot of USA 94, the tournament where I became Irish for a few weeks. The 1-0 over Italy was brilliant. In the end, they didn't have enough to see off France but they can take pride in their performances. Well done Ireland, would have loved to play you in the quarter finals. 

• Like 2

When you take into account how tough their group was I think they have done really well.

Today it was always a case that if France played anything like their best then Ireland had little hope of getting a result. The first half France were crap and in the second right from the get go they stepped it up and their quality showed. No shame in that for Ireland though.

• 1 month later...

Back to club football....

Dundalk 30 mins away from making it to final stage of CL qualifying, 2-0 up on Bate Borisov.

Imagine that, Dundalk v Man. City! I remember Shelbourne years back gettin to play Deportivo and putting up a decent fight over two legs. St Pats aswell.

• Like 1

yeah the move to summer football has helped Irish teams in recent seasons even if FAI have refused to put money into domestic game and prefer advertise stupid friendlies involving Celtic. Dundalk have decent players that could perform in Championship/League 1 level at moment though best player in recent seasons Towell struggled at Brighton last season.

Cork have a good chance in Europa League thursday as well only 1-0 down to Genk but playing at home in sold out stadium

be hilarious/fantastic if Dundalk got manure in the EL...

I still remember when Cork played Red star back when Zigic was still playing for them. Sold out and their lot were terrified by the dogs abuse they got, quickest throw ins and corners kicks I ever saw :D

Â