The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Bugger that approach, football should be entertaining, especially when we aren't going to be battling it out with the big boys any time soon.

we also need to establish an identity. having plenty of local lads playing good football sounds like a good one to me, not a workmanlike team of journeymen.

I get more enjoyment out of a 1-0 win from a 90th min goal than a 4-0 victory. As I say different people like different things.

Being able to control matches and dominate teams will give you a better platform for success.

I think the majority of people 'enjoy' a last minute 1-0 over anything as obviously the feeling is much greater than winning a game comfortably but I'd rather us be a team capable of winning games both 4-0 and 1-0 through good football and attacking football. Not just a team who relies on nicking a single goal over the opponents.

Really, we are just as likely to win games through late goals with attacking football over negative hard working football.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger that approach, football should be entertaining, especially when we aren't going to be battling it out with the big boys any time soon.

we also need to establish an identity. having plenty of local lads playing good football sounds like a good one to me, not a workmanlike team of journeymen.

I get more enjoyment out of a 1-0 win from a 90th min goal than a 4-0 victory. As I say different people like different things.

I know i get more excitement from a 1-0 win, but my god it tears you to pieces when you think you could lose it at any minute. Sometimes (aka this season) I like to win by 4-0 just because its so emphatic and you don't have to worry about the typical villa that throw away 1-0 leads.

i have a huge problem with that appoach, mainly because its unsuccesful! how many teams in the top 10 would you label as playing workman like football? none? how many in the bottom half would you give that lable to? most

fear of losing is his biggest problem, it was a problem blues still had after 3 years of him being there, so im struggling with any notion that it will go once he gets his hands on the squad, its also the biggest problem for us fans because its absolutely **** dire to watch, fulham at home, the last gasp winner didnt make it a good game, it was still awful, i didnt enjoy it at all

Agreed. At the risk of sounding hipster, football should be art, not a battle.

I can tell you there is no intention to get rid of him despite the apathy around the club falling attendances and dire football ! Lerner likes him thinks he has a great work ethic and above all trusts him ! Its not what you want to hear but thats the facts . If we are struggling next season then yes I think he will think again .

He came in to do a job with the finances around us and staying up will probably be seen us as stabilising things . But for me you can't hide behind the football the results and what has happened simply not good enough .

Do you see him getting much money to re-shape the squad?

YES

BOLLOCKS

Well Lerner needs to either give him £40m plus money raised from player sales, or give him the boot and replace him this summer.

Our squad is shit, our manager is shit, and if this continues we will be in the Championship at the start of the 2013/2014 season.

I can see McLeish creatuing a very 'workman-like' team. Probably of players that will play for each other for the full 90 minutes & will sweat until they're floored.

I'm not too bothered by that approach, as long as we have a bit of flair thrown in the mix.

That approach bothers me very much. Obviously hard work is important but we need to move away from this kind of style. We need to adopt a more progressive game that relies on passing and movement rather than just running your socks off. We're going to have to adopt this style eventually, so if McLeish loads our squad with a bunch of hard working cloggers then we're going to have to undertake another massive clear-out once he finally goes.

Also, we know that McLeish and flair players just don't work. Randy needs to learn that he can't just throw money at the problem to make it go away. He needs to act and get rid of McLeish and get the right man in to replace him.

Exactly, McLeish's approach to football and building a team might have worked back in the late 60s but now in the year 2012 it just doesn't cut it.

Football should be the fusion of the physical and mental; it can be art, but its also a physical battle of sorts. I don’t subscribe to the belief that any form of football is wrong or right; what is wrong when its dogmatic to one kind. It should be a mix and any decent manager should pragmatic depending on the state of the game...

Whatever the case McLeish has more fear of losing than anything else and thats stifling. We could have lost at Anfield 10 nil and won against Stoke and we would be better off.

I can see McLeish creatuing a very 'workman-like' team. Probably of players that will play for each other for the full 90 minutes & will sweat until they're floored.

I'm not too bothered by that approach, as long as we have a bit of flair thrown in the mix.

That approach bothers me very much. Obviously hard work is important but we need to move away from this kind of style. We need to adopt a more progressive game that relies on passing and movement rather than just running your socks off. We're going to have to adopt this style eventually, so if McLeish loads our squad with a bunch of hard working cloggers then we're going to have to undertake another massive clear-out once he finally goes.

Also, we know that McLeish and flair players just don't work. Randy needs to learn that he can't just throw money at the problem to make it go away. He needs to act and get rid of McLeish and get the right man in to replace him.

Exactly, McLeish's approach to football and building a team might have worked back in the late 60s but now in the year 2012 it just doesn't cut it.

the thing about that approach is that it does very much set the club up for the future, assuming a decent appointment is made post mcleish building the aforementioned "break their bollox for each other" team. that team would be built on a very controlled budget, meaning we'd have finances under control and perhaps even have a bit of spending power again.

we'd have a solid core of hard workers with engines who are willing to give it their all on a constant basis, and assuming they're not coached into nothing but hoofing (which i don't believe they are any more, we try to keep the ball on the floor more often than not), then it means 3-4 quality additions from a decent, adventurous manager could really propel the team back into the upper end of the league

unhappy and all as i am with mcleish, if this is the thinking then i'd be inclined to agree with it. big if though

I am interested to see what he would do with money in the summer. Like I was with Houllier and he had Cabaye lined up. I think it is easier to attract better players to Villa than Blues. Holman looks decent and that has increased my level of interest.

I still don't think he has done a good job (far from it) but I am interested.......

Yes I am a sadist!

Wanting more of the dross served up by McLeish this season makes you a masochist. McLeish and Lerner are the sadists in all this.

Football should be the fusion of the physical and mental; it can be art, but its also a physical battle of sorts. I don’t subscribe to the belief that any form of football is wrong or right; what is wrong when its dogmatic to one kind. It should be a mix and any decent manager should pragmatic depending on the state of the game...

Whatever the case McLeish has more fear of losing than anything else and thats stifling. We could have lost at Anfield 10 nil and won against Stoke and we would be better off.

Didnt you used to be a mod. What happened, demoted?

I can tell you there is no intention to get rid of him despite the apathy around the club falling attendances and dire football ! Lerner likes him thinks he has a great work ethic and above all trusts him ! Its not what you want to hear but thats the facts . If we are struggling next season then yes I think he will think again .

He came in to do a job with the finances around us and staying up will probably be seen us as stabilising things . But for me you can't hide behind the football the results and what has happened simply not good enough .

YES

BOLLOCKS

agree, the "money to spend" line during renewal time, its sullivan and gold stuff FFS, will we be linked to raul or ronaldinho 1st

Workmanlike football is boring and is the reason that England lags so far behind so many other countries in tournaments.

No team wins the PL or qualifies for the Champions League by playing workmanlike football and it is generally the footballing sides that win the domestic cups (although on the very odd occasion a workmanlike side wins one).

Football is not complicated but it is meant to be played in an entertaining and skilful way not just physical hoofball.

I'm prepared to give him another chance next season with a clean slate providing he keeps us up and then performs a major overhaul of the squad.

We have players on big money who have not performed for several years now. I don't want another manager giving them a chance.

I think he'll have money to spend but this time we wont be pissing it away on big money contracts.

YES

Well proves he is an even worse judge of managers than I ever thought possible!

As a half Dutchman who supports Villa, McLeish's claims that he sets out his teams to play in a Dutch style has always amused me. This is how I'd imagine McLeish managing the Netherlands...

mcleishholland.png

Sneijder has been dropped to the bench after showing to much creativity in the previous match but we'll just call it an injury.

Top 10 by Christmas next season or I'm not even going to bother making excuses for this man again. I like to believe I have been rather lenient with him.. I'll give him another 17 games + whatever we have left of this season to show me what he can do.

Â