The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way Mcleish will be out is if we get relegated.

He wont even get the sack then! We cant afford to sack him and Lerner will say that AM has experience in getting teams promoted. :bang:

With the amount of youngsters that we have in the team I would demote AM to the reserves and bring in KM to manage the kids he brought through.

I am shocked that there has been no anti AM chanting
This is what I don't understand. Statistically he's our worst Premier League manager and by all accounts one of the most unpopular Villa managers of all time. The football is also absolutely dreadful, yet McLeish has got a pretty easy ride from the fans. Why? Houllier got a lot of stick yet McLeish doesn't for doing exactly the same things?

Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding McLeish's future at the club this summer. Feel free to add to the list below:

Points that would indicate he will keep his job are:

Randy will have to spend more money to get him out of his contract.

We've been told that he has had discussions with Randy regarding next season's squad. He has also been allowed to sign Brett Holman.

We were in this exact position this time last year. Perhaps Randy will point the finger at the common denominator (core of senior Players) rather than McLeish.

Mitigating factors that might account for current position are injuries to key players.

He's brought the likes of Warnock and Ireland in from the wilderness.

Randy's stubborness to succeed with this appointment in the face of everything suggesting that he will not.

Continuity - giving McLeish a chance to build his own squad.

Lack of any real backlash from the mainstream press against McLeish. (It is generally perceived that the fans' problem is with his previous employment rather than his current performance).

McLeish has had to deal with the departures of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing.

Randy's track record in appointing managers (both in the PL and I'm led to believe in the NFL?) - may dissuade him from having to do it again this summer. Particularly if he needs to put a transfer kitty on the table to entice a new manager to come.

McLeish is successfully bringing down the wage bill? Perhaps he's using McLeish to get the club back to the position we were in when he bought the club in 2006 before appointing a proper manager and spending big again?

Points that would indicate he will get the chop are:

Virtually zero support from the fans, hence a generally bad feeling around the club toward both McLeish and Lerner.

Lack of any motivation of the team whatsoever.

Wretched, negative football. McLeish's inability to learn from his repeated mistakes.

Murmurings of discontent within the squad. Zog - Ireland etc.

Randy has not shown any hesitancy in paying up to release Houllier or MON.

Falling attendances - will take a significant toll on the club's income.

Very poor signings - Hutton and N'Zogbia money arguably squandered.

Younger players' (particularly attacking players) progress stalling.

McLeish's willingness to turn up to Emirates, WHL etc set up to lose by as few as possible (Media have picked up on this - Keegan's comments on ESPN etc).

Villa's performances this season close to breaking historical records of ineptitude.

Randy now knows that managers with no PL experience can be successful in their first year, likewise managers with bags of PL experience can be unsuccessful.

Randy should also now know that managers can be successful with a fraction of the money that he has given McLeish, Houllier and O'Neill.

Paul Faulkner has talked about Europe being a realistic target for this season which could indicate how far below Lerner's expectations McLeish might finish the season.

For what it's worth I actually think if we are lucky enough to finish one or two places above the drop zone Lerner will sack him and rightly so. If we finish strongly like we did last year he will stay.

Mmmm. Seem to remember this site creaming itself at the thought of signing N'Zogbia and then gloating when we actually signed him instead of Everton. There wasn't many on here apart from one poster who thought that N'Zogbia was an average player with a poor attitude.

Simply not true. Sure plenty thought it a good signing but there were plenty who didn't think it was as good as others believed and plenty like who said at the time he was an average player with a poor attitude.

Even if what you claim were true (which it isn't) and only one poster was saying these things about signing N'Zogbia that is irrelevant. McLeish is the manager, he is paid well to do the job and to make the decisions and he went and spent the bulk of his budget on a player that has contributed very little.

It has been poor judgement, just like the signing of Jenas and Hutton and in my opinion the decision to give Given a 5 year deal.

McLeish's management has simply been poor, his decisions have been poor and his signings have been poor. While his football and the results it has achieved have been dire and his excuses pathetic.

I believe N'Zogbia will turn out to be more than a decent signing for us when the right players are signed in the summer giving us a better balanced squad allowing him to play the role he played for Wigan. What i mean is that we will hopefully get a better defence in place plus a defensive mid which will give N'Zogbia more freedom to play his actual game. We all know that tracking back is not one of N'Zogbia's best attributes but then he didn't do much of that at Wigan either.

Yes we all know that but McLeish seemingly didn't, just as he seemingly doesn't seem to realise that N'Zogbia has never been much of a winger and all his best moments came for Wigan cutting inside or playing a more central role.

He might turn out to be a decent signing, though I doubt it but if he does I don't think it will be under the management of McLeish because he seems incapable of getting the best out of him and the player seemingly has very little respect for his manager or his tactics.

Tbf Nzogbia could have ability similar to Messi and still be a failure under this manager

He does not use him to his strength's

The system of putting 10 men behind the ball would make many a player fail especially attacking one's

McLeish Out

The stats are pathetic?

McStupid had a preseason,he had money to spend,he has had over 30 games, and what have we got to show for it ?

7 wins, only 4 at home

14 draws

32 games, and 35 points and 15th in the league.

That is not a lot to show for all that is it ??????

Hopefully in the summer with our defence revamped and the signing of a quality centre mid then we will be more positive in our approach?

And what is this hope based upon?

His signings of cultured midfielders like Ferguson and Bowyer at Birmingham perhaps?

Or is it perhaps based upon the excellent judgement he has shown in the transfer market since he has been our manager?

Why didn't he go and get this star midfielder that is the answer to our problems last summer instead of wasting money on Jenas and Hutton and taking a punt on N'Zogbia?

I don't see any reason to be optimistic that will go and find this creative player and even if he does I would fully expect him to utterly fail to get the best from him.

Hopefully in the summer with our defence revamped and the signing of a quality centre mid then we will be more positive in our approach?

And what is this hope based upon?

His signings of cultured midfielders like Ferguson and Bowyer at Birmingham perhaps?

Or is it perhaps based upon the excellent judgement he has shown in the transfer market since he has been our manager?

Why didn't he go and get this star midfielder that is the answer to our problems last summer instead of wasting money on Jenas and Hutton and taking a punt on N'Zogbia?

I don't see any reason to be optimistic that will go and find this creative player and even if he does I would fully expect him to utterly fail to get the best from him.

:clap::clap::clap:

Remember that pathetic letter sent out begging to be liked?

I am aware that the myth about me being defensively-minded has concerned some Villa fans who rightly relish seeing their team playing fluent, attacking football. However, please be assured that I share your desire to see Villa play dynamic, exciting football which entertains whilst, of course, securing the results we all want.

WRONG.

I am aware that the myth about me being defensively-minded has concerned some Villa fans who rightly relish seeing their team playing fluent, attacking football. However, please be assured that I share your desire to see Villa play dynamic, exciting football which entertains whilst, of course, securing the results we all want.

WRONG.

Let’s work together to ensure that 2012 becomes a year full of wonderful memories for Aston Villa and for you, Villa fans

Perhaps when you leave.

Remember when Paul Falkner told us the club's hopes under McLeish?

I think Europe sits there as a goal and this year that would be our goal – that’s what we want to try to achieve. It’s not easy because there’s other clubs trying to do the same, but we want to do that. I believe it’s do-able this year.

FAIL. MEGA FAIL - NO WHERE NEAR IT.

The Premier League is a very, very tough league, but Villa is a great club and we should be up there challenging at the top of the league and we should be there pushing for Europe.

CORRECT

I really do think, if we can put a good run together, we’ve got a good squad. I think this year is one where we want to be there pushing to qualify for Europe.

MEGA FAIL. Unless a good run is winning one game in a row, seven times dotted around the season.

Remember on being appointed, the following thing was said, under the heading on the OS of 'McLeish vows to achieve success with positive approach'?

"The players here, there is definitely scope for a fast, attacking team."

OOPS. FAIL.

"I know that some of our fans have voiced concerns and I can understand why. It will be up to me to convince you that I am the right man to drive the club forward and I intend to give absolutely everything to prove that I can be a success."

Well you haven't done that.

Or Paul Falkner on the appointment:

Alex is someone with whom we will work close and work well together.

I would say the poisition, lack of wins, awful football and lack of fans in the stadium we are in shows it is not working well.

With our strong squad combining the necessary virtues of experience and the exciting potential of our young players, our objective is to compete as strongly as we possibly can.

That certainly hasn't happened.

Alex's vast experience and proven abilities demonstrate clearly that he is a strong leader and an ambitious man and we are looking forward very much to the exciting new season about to start."

I would say defending 1-0 leads for 80 minutes is not ambitious. Or was the beginning of the season an exciting start. It was a 0-0, if I remember correctly.

Remember when Roberto Martinez turned the club down? We had a lovely statement saying

We remain focused and are working hard to secure the best candidate for Aston Villa who will complement the Club's commitment to be true to our heritage, competitiveness and passionate fan base

Well McLeish certainly didn't, doesn't and NEVER WILL complement the fan base. And he certainly hasn't brought competitiveness to the club either - in fact, seeing how many games we've gone out to play and defend the 0-0 - he's been the very opposite.

So all in all, I still don't know why he was appointed and more importantly, why the **** he's still here.

Quality post. Shows exactly what we are dealing with.

We should be regularly reminded about these statements.

Â