The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

I just don't think that it'll happen. Firstly, there's little point - Falkner and Lerner demonstrated in the clearest way possible that they couldn't give two hoots as to what the supporters think by appointing the clown in the first place. It's a waste of time other than to get some aggression out.

Secondly, I, like many I assume, would find it very hard to put my weight behind any movement which will be associated with the likes of the McLeish Out and Lerner 'campaign' which appears to be two people on Twitter abusing anyone who disagrees with what they've said.

McLeish is a total disaster from start to finish. It's alienated the fans, turned them against the club, got the team playing the worst football it ever has in the Premier League, heading towards the worst finish it's had and turning away fans left right and centre.

It feels like Falkner and Lerner believe that the fans can be bought off with cheapo Bosman signings - "It'll be different next year". No it won't. It'll be the same awful, boring football under the same awful, boring manager. The new signings won't be given a chance - they will be tainted with the same distrust as the manager. More money wasted.

You had to question the sanity of a manager who'd want the job under such circumstances last year. As the season has progressed, not only has the football become worse and worse, but the bonkers, ridiculous comments have flowed freely.

Nobody likes him. Nobody wants him. The players are not playing for him.

Get Rid.

Sadly I think you are right.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morpheus. People are not really killing McLeish on the league position that much, its kinda acceptable that our players are'nt the best. What is the biggest issue is McLeish's defensive negative dull tactics which I belive is the main probelem. Dont be telling me its because of th players cause many other worst teams/squads tend to play more entertaing football, ya know with a little attacking.intent.

I fully understand that 'foreveryoung.' Do you not think that i am also frustrated at how our team is playing. I want to see us playing free flowing attacking football, getting us on the edge of our seats again but my point is we have a very weak spine to our team and if we were to open up more, then opposing teams will slaughter us with our cumbersome defence and a midfield without a defensive mid. Thats why i think AM is setting us up in the way that we are seeing our team playing at the moment.

Bolton Wanderers, the team many hotly tipped for relegation, the team who have spent pretty much the whole season in the bottom three, who sold their best centre half to Chelsea:

HAVE WON MORE GAMES THAN ASTON VILLA!!

Morpheus. People are not really killing McLeish on the league position that much, its kinda acceptable that our players are'nt the best. What is the biggest issue is McLeish's defensive negative dull tactics which I belive is the main probelem. Dont be telling me its because of th players cause many other worst teams/squads tend to play more entertaing football, ya know with a little attacking.intent.

I fully understand that 'foreveryoung.' Do you not think that i am also frustrated at how our team is playing. I want to see us playing free flowing attacking football, getting us on the edge of our seats again but my point is we have a very weak spine to our team and if we were to open up more, then opposing teams will slaughter us with our cumbersome defence and a midfield without a defensive mid. Thats why i think AM is setting us up in the way that we are seeing our team playing at the moment.

I see what you are saying unfortunately he sets up very similar earlier in the season and also with prior teams at different clubs. So if this was a one off I would concede but the way he has set up is consistent with his prior teams

Thats why i think AM is setting us up in the way that we are seeing our team playing at the moment.

His approach to the game isn't dictated by injuries or the players available to him its just his approach to the game and is identical to what he produced at Birmingham.

Ah so N'Zogbia's form is completely down to AM not getting the best from him? It wouldn't be anything to do with taking time to settle at a new club or indeed just loss of form?

How about it being McLeish's fault for spunking the majority of his budget on an average player with a poor attitude?

How about it being down to McLeish for seemingly being unable to get the same level of performance out of his that Martinez managed?

Mmmm. Seem to remember this site creaming itself at the thought of signing N'Zogbia and then gloating when we actually signed him instead of Everton. There wasn't many on here apart from one poster who thought that N'Zogbia was an average player with a poor attitude.

I believe N'Zogbia will turn out to be more than a decent signing for us when the right players are signed in the summer giving us a better balanced squad allowing him to play the role he played for Wigan. What i mean is that we will hopefully get a better defence in place plus a defensive mid which will give N'Zogbia more freedom to play his actual game. We all know that tracking back is not one of N'Zogbia's best attributes but then he didn't do much of that at Wigan either.

Remember that pathetic letter sent out begging to be liked?

I am aware that the myth about me being defensively-minded has concerned some Villa fans who rightly relish seeing their team playing fluent, attacking football. However, please be assured that I share your desire to see Villa play dynamic, exciting football which entertains whilst, of course, securing the results we all want.

WRONG.

I am aware that the myth about me being defensively-minded has concerned some Villa fans who rightly relish seeing their team playing fluent, attacking football. However, please be assured that I share your desire to see Villa play dynamic, exciting football which entertains whilst, of course, securing the results we all want.

WRONG.

Let’s work together to ensure that 2012 becomes a year full of wonderful memories for Aston Villa and for you, Villa fans

Perhaps when you leave.

Remember when Paul Falkner told us the club's hopes under McLeish?

I think Europe sits there as a goal and this year that would be our goal – that’s what we want to try to achieve. It’s not easy because there’s other clubs trying to do the same, but we want to do that. I believe it’s do-able this year.

FAIL. MEGA FAIL - NO WHERE NEAR IT.

The Premier League is a very, very tough league, but Villa is a great club and we should be up there challenging at the top of the league and we should be there pushing for Europe.

CORRECT

I really do think, if we can put a good run together, we’ve got a good squad. I think this year is one where we want to be there pushing to qualify for Europe.

MEGA FAIL. Unless a good run is winning one game in a row, seven times dotted around the season.

Remember on being appointed, the following thing was said, under the heading on the OS of 'McLeish vows to achieve success with positive approach'?

"The players here, there is definitely scope for a fast, attacking team."

OOPS. FAIL.

"I know that some of our fans have voiced concerns and I can understand why. It will be up to me to convince you that I am the right man to drive the club forward and I intend to give absolutely everything to prove that I can be a success."

Well you haven't done that.

Or Paul Falkner on the appointment:

Alex is someone with whom we will work close and work well together.

I would say the poisition, lack of wins, awful football and lack of fans in the stadium we are in shows it is not working well.

With our strong squad combining the necessary virtues of experience and the exciting potential of our young players, our objective is to compete as strongly as we possibly can.

That certainly hasn't happened.

Alex's vast experience and proven abilities demonstrate clearly that he is a strong leader and an ambitious man and we are looking forward very much to the exciting new season about to start."

I would say defending 1-0 leads for 80 minutes is not ambitious. Or was the beginning of the season an exciting start. It was a 0-0, if I remember correctly.

Remember when Roberto Martinez turned the club down? We had a lovely statement saying

We remain focused and are working hard to secure the best candidate for Aston Villa who will complement the Club's commitment to be true to our heritage, competitiveness and passionate fan base

Well McLeish certainly didn't, doesn't and NEVER WILL complement the fan base. And he certainly hasn't brought competitiveness to the club either - in fact, seeing how many games we've gone out to play and defend the 0-0 - he's been the very opposite.

So all in all, I still don't know why he was appointed and more importantly, why the **** he's still here.

Thats why i think AM is setting us up in the way that we are seeing our team playing at the moment.

His approach to the game isn't dictated by injuries or the players available to him its just his approach to the game and is identical to what he produced at Birmingham.

The signing of Keane and our subsequent performances before Keane left again would suggest to me that he is quite capable of playing in a more offensive way if the right players are available to him.

I'd like to see McLeish send out another letter, just to see how many excuses he can cram into it. :lol:

The signing of Keane and our subsequent performances before Keane left again would suggest to me that he is quite capable of playing in a more offensive way if the right players are available to him.

But we weren't even that good when Keane was here. Ok, we were better, but we were still negative and boring.

Agreed 'Mantis' we were better with Keane in the team as we did play to feet more and thats what i mean with the right players he will get us playing better football. Would love to see Keane back again on a short term contract but maybe Holman is earmarked for the Keane role?

Yes i also agree that we were still a tad negative in our approach but i believe thats to protect a very soft spine in our team which i have mentioned many times. Hopefully in the summer with our defence revamped and the signing of a quality centre mid then we will be more positive in our approach?

I really don't know what makes you think anything is going to change. This is how McLeish's teams play. It's got nothing to do with "having a weak spine". Look at the first half of the season where we had virtually no injuries. Our strength was clearly in attack yet McNegative still had us playing an ultra defensive game.

@b6bloke: Should say "not wanted" for killing football. :P

Yes 'Mantis' but our main striker's supply line was cut off with the sales of Young and Downing plus we had no centre defensive mid to protect an aging cumbersome defence.

I suppose we could keep going around in complete circles debating the points for and against AM but if we survive the threat of relegation then he still will be manager of our club and then we will get the answers to all our questions in the summer and beyond.

Yes 'Mantis' but our main striker's supply line was cut off with the sales of Young and Downing plus we had no centre defensive mid to protect an aging cumbersome defence.

I suppose we could keep going around in complete circles debating the points for and against AM but if we survive the threat of relegation then he still will be manager of our club and then we will get the answers to all our questions in the summer and beyond.

But he also brought in N'Zogbia, and Herd for example has really come into the holding midfielder role this season. There's simply no excuse for the negative football we've had to put up with this season. Our squad is average but it's by no means bottom 6 quality. Funnily enough, in the games where we have attacked this season we've performed best.

There is no way that Lerner is going to sack him, no chance in hell! Lerner played a blinder going against the villa fans by bringing in AM as by doing so he made Villa fans realise that to protest is futile! I am shocked that there has been no anti AM chanting but also found it funny as its what I believe was Lerners plan.

I will be waving goodbye to my season ticket and so will 1000's more.

But he also brought in N'Zogbia, and Herd for example has really come into the holding midfielder role this season. There's simply no excuse for the negative football we've had to put up with this season. Our squad is average but it's by no means bottom 6 quality. Funnily enough, in the games where we have attacked this season we've performed best.

He had £16m to spend in the summer in finding replacements for Young, Downing, Friedel, Young and a new CM'er. Give that money to Lambert, Rodgers or Pardew and they would have sh@t themselves and probably bought a whole new squad.

He bought in Hutton for £4m and Given for similar when we already had Lichaj and he could have gone for Clyne for £2m, say. He could also have got Westwood from Coventry for free. That would have left him £14m to prioritise on the key areas i.e. a couple of wide players and a strong CM'er.

Â