The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this has been posted. Found it interesting. From a motherwell fan on a football blog

McLeish’s biggest asset is his media friendliness. Nothing negative sticks and only his successes are ever mentioned in articles like this.

When he took over at Motherwell, we had a great side and finished 3rd in the league the season before he arrived. Finishing second wasn’t the achivement it’s painted as, Celtic were in complete disarray at the time and Rangers were struggling at the end of their 9 in a row era. He broke our budget, pay structure and youth system in the process and left a successful, financially healthy club broke and at the bottom of the league. He jumped at the first offer that came along (as he’s done several times).

Sure he won the 1st division with Hibs but with a budget many times greater than every other club in that division and a squad of over 50 players at one point. He also left them broke and at the bottom of the league when he high tailed to Rangers.

At Rangers, he presided over the worst run of results in their entire HISTORY. 11 Matches without a win. That last day league win mentioned actually occurred as a result of Motherwell’s Scott McDonald scoring two goals in the last 5 minutes against Celtic to beat them 2-1 and allow Rangers to win the league.

As Scotland Manager, he took over Walter Smith’s reasonably successful side mid-campaign and did OK until he changed the team and tactics in an away match in Georgia where we were utterly hopeless against a team with 3 players under 18 in it.

He ditched Scotland without a backwards glance after 8 Games to join Birmingham City who he managed to get relegated twice (any other managers allowed to keep their jobs in those circumstances?) and built teams that are the lowest scorers in the division.

As soon as the chance arises he abandons them having dumped them in the Championship and joins their biggest rivals. He’s already getting his his excuses in early having been quoted as saying he can’t compete in the transfer market with the “big” clubs. That must have come as a complete shock to him?

His MO at club level is to keep signing players and hope something happens. You won’t see much youth development, that’s for sure, just overpaid, mediocre foreigners. Every club he’s managed has been left poorer and in poorer shape after he’s finished but the media will make sure he ends up at Chelsea or Man U (who he’ll dump to take over at Man City because they have more money).

Yeah, great manager.

The scariest post I have read for some time and does beg the question how on earth is anyone still backing this guy?

Bet he didnt put this on his bloody CV did he Paul Faulkner!

Get rid asap before he sets us back a decade and sells off the crown jewels.

Not sure if this has been posted. Found it interesting. From a motherwell fan on a football blog

McLeish’s biggest asset is his media friendliness. Nothing negative sticks and only his successes are ever mentioned in articles like this.

When he took over at Motherwell, we had a great side and finished 3rd in the league the season before he arrived. Finishing second wasn’t the achivement it’s painted as, Celtic were in complete disarray at the time and Rangers were struggling at the end of their 9 in a row era. He broke our budget, pay structure and youth system in the process and left a successful, financially healthy club broke and at the bottom of the league. He jumped at the first offer that came along (as he’s done several times).

Sure he won the 1st division with Hibs but with a budget many times greater than every other club in that division and a squad of over 50 players at one point. He also left them broke and at the bottom of the league when he high tailed to Rangers.

At Rangers, he presided over the worst run of results in their entire HISTORY. 11 Matches without a win. That last day league win mentioned actually occurred as a result of Motherwell’s Scott McDonald scoring two goals in the last 5 minutes against Celtic to beat them 2-1 and allow Rangers to win the league.

As Scotland Manager, he took over Walter Smith’s reasonably successful side mid-campaign and did OK until he changed the team and tactics in an away match in Georgia where we were utterly hopeless against a team with 3 players under 18 in it.

He ditched Scotland without a backwards glance after 8 Games to join Birmingham City who he managed to get relegated twice (any other managers allowed to keep their jobs in those circumstances?) and built teams that are the lowest scorers in the division.

As soon as the chance arises he abandons them having dumped them in the Championship and joins their biggest rivals. He’s already getting his his excuses in early having been quoted as saying he can’t compete in the transfer market with the “big” clubs. That must have come as a complete shock to him?

His MO at club level is to keep signing players and hope something happens. You won’t see much youth development, that’s for sure, just overpaid, mediocre foreigners. Every club he’s managed has been left poorer and in poorer shape after he’s finished but the media will make sure he ends up at Chelsea or Man U (who he’ll dump to take over at Man City because they have more money).

Yeah, great manager.

The scariest post I have read for some time and does beg the question how on earth is anyone still backing this guy?

Impressive bit of reading. I doubt Lerner and Faulkner know this.

What airline is he going by or will it be private charter?

Either way, would it be at all possible to slip the airline a few quid and make the plane 'vanish' into some rain forest in Brazil?

What a complete waste of time. This break from the Prem would have been better spent sorting the ginger turds P45 and finding someone who can at least navigate their way into the oppositions half during a game.

Thats pretty Dark man..lol

They'd soon realise where we was when negative football starts spreading through Brazil.

:lol:

This is all meaningless drivel to me but I believe it is something to do with a defensive strategy. McLeish will no doubt love this.

220px-NickelbackFB.svg.png

In special situations, extra defensive backs enter in "nickel" (pictured) or "dime" packages to cover additional receivers.

I fail to see how it is pointless or a waste of time.

the article states that they are going to share insight on player scouting, training, and other elements of running a club that are common to all sports, and the NFL is probably the gold standard in the use of technology, data, and advanced medical practices regardless of the actual results of any given team, and the Browns have state of the art facilities. And the business sides sharing best practices is surely a good thing as well, as both the PL and the NFL are incredible global brands.

Furthermore, the GM of the Browns (reports to Holmgren) probably has a lot of insight on how to value players/positions vs. wages as the NFL has a salary cap that must be managed to.

Obviously they aren't going to talk about specific tactics of either sport, but perspectives on man management, preparation, use of video, etc. could be beneficial to both sides. I think it would actually be criminal if Aston Villa and the Browns did NOT take advantage of each others resources.

The only thing McLeish is going to learn from the Browns is how to win nothing season after season. For all that data and technology, they are not very good are they!

Yeah, great manager.

Impressive bit of reading. I doubt Lerner and Faulkner know this.

We need to send this to Lerner but sign it from Sir Alex Ferguson.

He will be sacked instantly!!

This is all meaningless drivel to me but I believe it is something to do with a defensive strategy. McLeish will no doubt love this.

220px-NickelbackFB.svg.png

In special situations, extra defensive backs enter in "nickel" (pictured) or "dime" packages to cover additional receivers.

snapshot20120215212048.jpg

"Okay, after you vibrate that way, two of you fall down. Hutton, you just spin around in a circle"

I think that quote is very unfair, its biased, any bunch of facts and statistics could be used to make opposite points... For instance, here's another look at McLeish's record... (Please don't castigate me, i'm only writing this to illustrate a point)

After a successful playing career, winning a European Cup Winners Cup, Super Cup and three Scottish Premier League titles, Alex McLeish took over at Motherwell in 1994, and led them to an impressive second place in the Scottish Premier League finishing behind Walter Smith's Rangers. After the club failed to build on this, he ressigned and took over at Hibernians. In his first full season he won the Scottish First Division and in 2001 finished in third place in the Premier League and reached a Scotish Cup Final. He then took over at Rangers and won the Premier League in his first full season. Then followed a particularly difficult time when their financial state saw them lose many of their top players. Nevertheless, after making the Bosman free transfers of Jean-Alain Boumsong and Dado Prso he led Rangers to the Premier League title in 2005, edging out Martin O'Neill's Celtic and next season the side qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League.

After leaving Rangers, he became the Scottish National team manager, winning 7 out of 10 games, including an historic 1-0 defeat of France in Paris.

He left his position as Scotland manager to take over at Birmingham City, and in his first full season (2008/09) led them to promotion to the English Premier League. By January 2010, he had guided them to a 12-game unbeaten run, a club record in the top division, was named Premier League Manager of the month for December 2009 (the first Birmingham manager to receive the award) and led them to a 9th place finish in the Premier League, their highest in over 50 years. The following season the club won the League Cup. However, due to a number of injuries to key players like Scott Dann and Craig Gardner, the club got caught in a relegation battle, and were relegated on the last day of the season following a defeat to Spurs.

Despite Birmingham City saying McLeish would keep his job, he resigned and was appointed as manager to Aston Villa, to oversee a difficult period when the wage bill was being significantly reduced and he was told he would have to sell to buy....

I think you'll agree if you read this version of history it tells a very different story, but all of it is factually correct.

it beats his current tactics -

419839_387148821301548_120904874592612_1721424_1794740062_n.jpg

apologies if its been posted before, i got it today off a gloating baggies fan, he couldnt quite get his head round my idea that the pic was probably made by a villa fan

Anyway, it's laughable rubbish. The back 4 haven't played in a disciplined straight-line formation like that all season

What is all this about Eck going to the Browns to "discuss ideas"...

I'm sure the Browns finished bottom of the league last season, didn't they? Apart from man-motivation, what possible use can meeting a coach who had an atrocious season in an entirely different sport have to our manager?

Â