Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

It's hardly just yesterday's game.

I think he's looked very average most times he appears in the first team.

Who did look good last season?

Herd, Baker, Lichaj, Wieman all showed more promise for me last season in there first team appearances. I'm not writing Gardner off, but he has shown nothing so far to show me he can become a top class premier league player.

I remember Craig's debut against Newcastle I think and he showed more that Gary has in that one game.

Ask Craig who he things is the better player of the two.

I've not seen anything from Gardner to suggest he will be anywhere near as good as his brother, let alone our Steven Gerrard. Shame as with all the hype about him I was pretty hopefull but he wont be the last youngster to come through our ranks and not live up to the hype.

He just about sums up our entire youth products, OVERRATED!

If Lerner honestly thinks these young players our Villa's future then god help us. All we've heard for years now is how great our youth system is, well where's the evidence? None of them other than Gabby and Gary Cahill have amounted to anything of note. A team packed with our youth team graduates are easy pickings for the opposing team, and that's one of the main reasons why we've been so weak these last couple of years.

Our club is going nowhere.

What complete drivel

If it was so easy to create top class players then everybody would be doing it. Look at the amount of players we have brought through since 2000 and contrast that with other clubs in the premier league. Just next door, how many players have Birmingham brought through?

Then you have the likes of Chelsea, UTD and Liverpool, how many world class players have they produced, Becks, Scholes, Giggs,Terry, Owen and Gerrard?

Off the top of my head our academy has produced :

Cahill - made us £5m and is an international

Luke Moore- made us £3.5m and is a PL player.

Ridgewell - made us £2m and is a PL player

Steven Davis - made us £4m and is a PL player and international.

Gardner - made us £3m and is a PL player

Whittingham - £500k, best player in the Championship.

Hitzlsperger, made him a German international bundesliga winner.

Then we have Gabby,Bannan, Albrighton, Clark, Herd, Weimann all contributing members of the squad and not to mention the countles numbers of professionals we have produced playing league football.

Do you realise how difficult that is?

gg the closest thing we have to gerrard give the boy time it was only january he made his debut

Steven Gerrard played 31 games for Liverpool when he was 19....

When gerrard made his debut all liverpool fans knew they were watching a future club and england captain coz he was that class....

Gary Gardner is nothing like gerrard and never will be

I've watched Gardner and reckon he'll be a future club/England captain. You're right - Gerrard will never be the player GG is.

I was also reading a Liverpool forum yesterday where Liverpool fans were moaning about Gerrard and wishing he was sold.

Funny old game, football.

What complete drivel

If it was so easy to create top class players then everybody would be doing it. Look at the amount of players we have brought through since 2000 and contrast that with other clubs in the premier league. Just next door, how many players have Birmingham brought through?

Then you have the likes of Chelsea, UTD and Liverpool, how many world class players have they produced, Becks, Scholes, Giggs,Terry, Owen and Gerrard?

Then we have Gabby,Bannan, Albrighton, Clark, Herd, Weimann all contributing members of the squad and not to mention the countles numbers of professionals we have produced playing league football.

Thats all very true - and our academy is a good one. However the expectations of it are unrealistic. If you have 2 academy players in the first team and are selling a regular stream of them for £3m a time thats as as good an academy as you will get.

What the club has been trying to do for the past couple of years is build the basis of the team on academy players - that will never work and is totally unrealistic.

I've not seen anything from Gardner to suggest he will be anywhere near as good as his brother, let alone our Steven Gerrard. Shame as with all the hype about him I was pretty hopefull but he wont be the last youngster to come through our ranks and not live up to the hype.

He just about sums up our entire youth products, OVERRATED!

If Lerner honestly thinks these young players our Villa's future then god help us. All we've heard for years now is how great our youth system is, well where's the evidence? None of them other than Gabby and Gary Cahill have amounted to anything of note. A team packed with our youth team graduates are easy pickings for the opposing team, and that's one of the main reasons why we've been so weak these last couple of years.

Our club is going nowhere.

What complete drivel

Doesn't this just prove that our kids aren't enough and shouldn't be relied on?

Apart from cahil It's just a list of kids who weren't good enough for us.

...all of whom would vastly improve our squad :(

problem is they would only improve our squad and few would be in the first XI on a regular basis.....probably just Cahill and maybe Whittingham

somebody still hasn't answered my question which speaks volumes

What is this guy actually good at doing?

What are his attributes?

Coz i cant think of any

His drive in the middle of the park, very similar to Milner / Gerrard in this respect.

He can take a very good shot from outside the box

His passing is good, he's no Xavi or Iniesta and doesn't exactly make Hollywood passes but he can move the ball about if needed (not yesterday i admit)

He can take a sublime freekick.

Most importantly to us, he makes late runs into the box and can score with his head, something our midfield has lacked for a while.

What are his attributes?

Coz i cant think of any

His drive in the middle of the park, very similar to Milner / Gerrard in this respect.

His passing is good, he's no Xavi or Iniesta and doesn't exactly make Hollywood passes but he can move the ball about if needed (not yesterday i admit)

Most importantly to us, he makes late runs into the box and can score with his head, something our midfield has lacked for a while.

maybe he does do all that in the youth/reserve leagues. every time he has appeared in the prem he has been cack

Davis, Gardner and Whittingham could do a job for us - the rest, no way. Moore is shite, Ridgewell is a championship player and Hitz is pretty much done as a player.

Davis, Gardner and Whittingham could do a job for us - the rest, no way. Moore is shite, Ridgewell is a championship player and Hitz is pretty much done as a player.

Ridgewell is still better than anything we've got at LB.

Pretty sure most of us would have Cahill back too.

What are his attributes?

Coz i cant think of any

maybe he does do all that in the youth/reserve leagues. every time he has appeared in the prem he has been cack

Simply not true, he's played a handful of games. He also did exactly that against Man City when he nearly scored the equalizer. He also got himself into that position against Wolves he just fluffed his chance. Sometimes i feel people take pleasure from belittling our own.

Im inclined to agree with beasley14.

He has never really done anything in the first team and in fact has been very poor in most matches. I have high hopes for the kid and pray he comes good but I'm not holding out a great deal of hope.

Think it's a confidence issue, the kid dominates every level below the first team.

Only baffling think is why people are so quick to jump on our players.

Most people aren't having a pop at him. Just a lot Villa fans like myself don't go to reserve game etc, so I've only ever seen him at first team level and he hasn't shown anything. Most players you normally see something from over the period of a few games, even if they aren't playing well.

All we are saying is we are confused about the hype because cant see anything at the moment.

Â