Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I know Gary on a personal level. I'm gutted for him because I know what he went through and how hard he worked to recover when he done his knee before. I sent him a text message a few hours ago and I'll no doubt be invited round his house a few times over the next few months to play PS3 again. He's a proper sound lad and I know he hasn't really showed it but he's a good player. He's better than Craig, which even Craig admits. He'll be determined to come back stronger than ever though and I wish him all the best.

I understand the response that it could be the end of his career but physically wise I doubt it..

Those of us who live in Oz know the amount of times players here have these types of injuries playing AFL, the advancement in repairing knees is amazing. His knee will be back stronger than before.

For me though it will be the mental side of the game for him, will he be able to cope? From what I have read he has a good family (apart from Craig lol) who will help to keep his spirits up and besides he has overcome this once he can do it again.

The main issue is though will he ever be good enough for the 1st team, not on his performances so far and losing another season wont help him.

I wish him all the best and hope that one day he will become the player we all hoped we had, good luck Gary.

Definitely agree that physically wise he will be back stronger than ever but to lose two season so early in his career for doing ACL would be mentally shattering. Can't see him making it at Villa which is a shame.

I know Gary on a personal level. I'm gutted for him because I know what he went through and how hard he worked to recover when he done his knee before. I sent him a text message a few hours ago and I'll no doubt be invited round his house a few times over the next few months to play PS3 again. He's a proper sound lad and I know he hasn't really showed it but he's a good player. He's better than Craig, which even Craig admits. He'll be determined to come back stronger than ever though and I wish him all the best.

Wish him all the best for me please, I had on on the back of two tops last season! I still have faith he'll make it at the Villa. I was really looking forward to him showing us his best this season :-(

gutted to hear this, i rate gardner above bannan and delph

Yep, this was going to be a big season for him IMO.

Really talented player. He's shown his quality in spells, but needed an extended run IMO.

He'll be back, I'm sure. Different knee to last time, which is the silver lining on this grey cloud.

Young enough to return and be the player we know he can be.

gutted to hear this, i rate gardner above bannan and delph

Personally I dont think Gardner,Delph or Bannan are very good players but I am baffled as to how Gardner can be rated better than them. I would say Gardner is by far the worst of the three.

Sad news and I think this could be it for him, certainly at Villa and maybe in professional football. How anyone could rate him higher than Bannan is Delph though, is laughable.

Disagree with that last bit. All 3 of them are players that have shown glimpses of talent but little consistency.

For me Bannan would be the one I rate third best of the three, based on when I have watched him, but of course this could change if he improves and impacts the play in the final third for us.

Hope he'll have a good recovery, heal up quickly and come back even stronger.

He still got something to prove. Maybe he'll take some tips from Ron on how to bulk up during his time out, might do him good.

He's finished at Villa.

More technique, but not as useful as his brother.

Finished at the age of 20, REALLY!!!??? He is much better than his brother. He was awesome in the U19's last season, did you see any of those games??

But I'm sure you are right and that he is finished just because of an injury. After all 2 broken legs haven't finished Cisse's career yet a knee injury will finish Gary's!! Will come back stronger and will get his chance in the first team again next season.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gary Gardner admits it can easily be a forlorn experience rehabbing your way back to full fitness.

But the central midfielder says he's been boosted by the kind words of Paul LambertRon VlaarShay Given and Fabian Delph as well as messages of support from fans all over the country.

He still has work to do but Gardner can't wait to be back in training after recovering successfully from a cruciate ligament problem to his right knee, after the pain of the same injury to his left knee the previous campaign.

It's been a long journey for the aspiring ace but the light at the end of the tunnel is shining bright in his eyes.

Even during the dark days after his initial corrective operation, he took solace from the kind words of fans as well as supportive staff at the training ground.

"I am buzzing now. There's real light at the end of the tunnel. I have been through it before and that's helped me. I've know what to do and what not to do. I know I'll be fine.

"The knee feels strong - stronger than ever. I feel so confident. Hopefully when I'm fully back at it, I can push on in my career.

"I am a young lad. I'm getting through it and I know I will be good to go in the future.

"I was three months behind schedule with my left knee because of an infection. But this one has gone really smoothly. And now I feel brilliant.

"It's been hard, especially at the start. I absolutely love football so to not be able to play it for a period of time kills me. It's tough at the start, really tough, but I've felt my mood improve along the journey to full fitness.

"It's great that I have my big family behind me and messages of support from fans have brightened everything up too. I have had my low days but the fans have been superb.

"I can't thank them enough. It's not just Villa fans either. I've had supporters of other clubs asking how it's going and wishing me luck in my recovery. That's an amazing thing.

"They have been right behind me.

"When I'm back playing I'll certainly be thinking about their messages of support and how they've helped me get back out there on the pitch. Hopefully I can repay them with my performances."

Gardner also has high praise for skipper Vlaar, who himself had to battle back from two cruciate ligament injuries while playing for Feyenoord in Holland.

Vlaar has taken Gardner "under his wing" and boosted the midfielder's mental powers with pep talks at Bodymoor Heath.

"Ron has been in the same situation. He knows everything about the injuries and what's needed physically and mentally to get through it.

"He's come and chatted to me and given me advice and pushed me along with encouraging words. That's great.

"He's so strong - physically and mentally - and he's taken me under his wing. I can't thank him enough.

"Fabian has been superb also. He's another lad I get on great with. All the lads have been top-class. Shay has been superb.

"They have looked after me. When I see the gaffer he asks how I am too. He's brilliant. It's superb that he asks, even though I can't play for him at the moment.

"It's good to know people care and are looking out for you. Hopefully I can come back with a bang."

Official site

Sounds like he's close to getting back into training, hopefully we'll see him before the end of the season. Although he's not going to come in and transform all of our fortunes, it'll be good to have an extra option and get him back into the fold before the start of the next campaign. 

Â