Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

I don't think we can judge Gardner in a make or break sense until the end of the 2013/2014 season. but for now, regardless of comparisons to others or not, Gardner looks like a hungry, busy Midfielder eager to learn from those more experienced around him.

Wilshere gets the same ridiculous press hype as Gareth Bale, another London club player. It's just **** bullshit.

Bale was shit for years at Spuds. Spud fans I know would write off the game as soon as they saw his name on the team sheet. Then - there was THAT Champions League game, and the media collectively bukkake-d a ridiculous amount of hype on him. He was nothing short of a joke about six months prior to that game.

Bale is not world class. He regularly gets played off the park in the league. However, the press will still have you believe he is the best thing since sliced bread. Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain and McReacharound all get the same hype. The same hype from the same press monkeys that would have had you believe Harry Redknapp was the best manager in the world and the natural successor to the England or Chelsea jobs this summer. The same Redknapp that is now unemployed.

To big up Wilshere's achievements in an Arsenal team that have not finished outside the top four since Newcastle were fielding Barnes, Beardsley and Rush is pointless. If you are signed to a club that qualify for the Champions League with boring predictability, you are going to get time on the pitch. When Gary Gardner plays his football for a club that does not qualify for the champions league, it is going to be a bit difficult for him to match Wilshere in appearances.

I've heard a lot of good things about Gary Gardner. I was eagerly anticipating his debut into what was a very poor Villa team last season, but for *whatever reason*, it didn't work out. I haven't lost faith, he is still very young and should be given time.

*Edit - playing for a tactically incompetent fucktard of a manager

Anyone who say's Gardner is better than Wilshere is deluded but as I said before Gardner can be as good as Wilshere. Yes of course there is plenty of hype around some of these London based player's but that shouldn't mean they're crap, it just mean's they're not as good as some make out.

Of course the media got a bit to overexcited when Bale scored that hatrick but imo he is a quality player who took a bit to long to make the step up. I don't think there is anyone on here who wouldn't want Bale at villa, I know I would because he's an exciting player to watch.

I personally think Gardner and Wilshere will be playing next to each other for England in 3 - 5 year's.

Wilshere gets the same ridiculous press hype as Gareth Bale, another London club player. It's just **** bullshit.

Bale was shit for years at Spuds. Spud fans I know would write off the game as soon as they saw his name on the team sheet. Then - there was THAT Champions League game, and the media collectively bukkake-d a ridiculous amount of hype on him. He was nothing short of a joke about six months prior to that game.

Bale is not world class. He regularly gets played off the park in the league. However, the press will still have you believe he is the best thing since sliced bread. Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain and McReacharound all get the same hype. The same hype from the same press monkeys that would have had you believe Harry Redknapp was the best manager in the world and the natural successor to the England or Chelsea jobs this summer. The same Redknapp that is now unemployed.

To big up Wilshere's achievements in an Arsenal team that have not finished outside the top four since Newcastle were fielding Barnes, Beardsley and Rush is pointless. If you are signed to a club that qualify for the Champions League with boring predictability, you are going to get time on the pitch. When Gary Gardner plays his football for a club that does not qualify for the champions league, it is going to be a bit difficult for him to match Wilshere in appearances.

I've heard a lot of good things about Gary Gardner. I was eagerly anticipating his debut into what was a very poor Villa team last season, but for *whatever reason*, it didn't work out. I haven't lost faith, he is still very young and should be given time.

Bale shit for years? Seriously?

He was poor for maybe the first year or six months I think it was whilst employed as a left back but this did not go on for years.......

He was poor for maybe the first year or six months I think it was whilst employed as a left back but this did not go on for years.......

Actually I think he was shit for about 2, 2 1/2 year's. They didn't win a game in something like 25 game's with him in the team didn't they.

Only started to shine the season they finished 4th.

Actually I think he was shit for about 2, 2 1/2 year's. They didn't win a game in something like 25 game's with him in the team didn't they.

Only started to shine the season they finished 4th.

This. It's amazing how quickly people forget this with all the media hype. Bale signed for Spuds in 2007 and was shit until the 2009-10 season. Really shit. He could turn a game - sour. Bale coming on when Spuds were winning meant a draw or even a loss.

bringing on an attacking left winger to play left back will cost you goals - bale started to shine when he was played in his correct position and given licence to attack at will he started putting in some great performances. I'm not saying he's world class but he is a very good attacking player who has the ability to tear defences apart with his pace and skill, but as with all creative players he doesnt do it every game - SHOCKER

GG is a class act and played in the right position and given a run of games (not a few starts here and there and sporadid sub apps) he'll become a good player but he's not going to come into a poor and dereft villa side and set the prem alight playing as a defensive midfielder or right midfielder - because he isnt one.

Thats like saying the cashier in a bank thats getting bailed out is a bad cashier because the bank is doing badly - it just doesnt make sense

Bale is brilliant, Oxlaide-Chamberlain looks superb, Wilshere I'm not so keen on.

Gardner doesn't really impress me and hasn't really started well, it's very early days to be writing him off though.

Daniel Johnson always impresses me in all the youth level highlights I've seen, more so than Gardner at the same level.

bringing on an attacking left winger to play left back will cost you goals - bale started to shine when he was played in his correct position and given licence to attack at will he started putting in some great performances. I'm not saying he's world class but he is a very good attacking player who has the ability to tear defences apart with his pace and skill, but as with all creative players he doesnt do it every game - SHOCKER

GG is a class act and played in the right position and given a run of games (not a few starts here and there and sporadid sub apps) he'll become a good player but he's not going to come into a poor and dereft villa side and set the prem alight playing as a defensive midfielder or right midfielder - because he isnt one.

Thats like saying the cashier in a bank thats getting bailed out is a bad cashier because the bank is doing badly - it just doesnt make sense

I thought Bale always played LB for Southampton. Wasn't it Harry Redknapp that turned him into a LW and only to accommodate Assou-Ekotto.

Bale is brilliant, Oxlaide-Chamberlain looks superb, Wilshere I'm not so keen on.

Gardner doesn't really impress me and hasn't really started well, it's very early days to be writing him off though.

Daniel Johnson always impresses me in all the youth level highlights I've seen, more so than Gardner at the same level.

Gardner still has it all to do and is not the nailed on certainty some fans will have you to believe.

There are still some excitable types amongst our ranks that seem to think that everyone who appears from our youth academy is the star of the future.

I am yet to witness from the recent seasons players to emulate Little, Shaw,Gidman,Cowans,Gibson etc

So, I'm not quite so convinced as some that the great academy we have is so great.

Gardner still has it all to do and is not the nailed on certainty some fans will have you to believe.

There are still some excitable types amongst our ranks that seem to think that everyone who appears from our youth academy is the star of the future.

I am yet to witness from the recent seasons players to emulate Little, Shaw,Gidman,Cowans,Gibson etc

So, I'm not quite so convinced as some that the great academy we have is so great.

Let's wait and see. One of the reasons why I'm so looking forward to this new season is to see our Academy lads play in a settled club that is finally ready to be competitive in the league once more. The past two years of turmoil have been a baptism of fire for all of them.

Young players develop in different ways and at differing paces. I remember Dwight Yorke taking two/three years to find his feet, for example. Writing players off too soon is a dangerous game.

Going back to Wilshere, I've seen it all before, going back to Paul Walsh at Luton Town in the early eighties: the London press is so focused on their own patch it's untrue. Joe Cole was another one that was hyped up beyond all proportion. Gazza (when at Spurs) got all the attention whilst David Platt received relatively little. FA Cup winning Glen Hoddle got all the praise whilst League Champion and European Cup winning Sid Cowans was an after thought. We don't get the hype because the national press might focus on Villa two or three times a year at most.

Wilshere is a very good young player but worthy of all the hype he's been getting? Not a chance, you'd think he was a genuine sporting genius the amount of coverage he's been getting. Gardner and Bannan are very, very good young players, too.

I'll close with another example of how good our young lads are:

http://manunitedyouth.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/reserves-united-1-villa-4-brilliant-bannan-ruins-bebes-big-day-out/

...and remind you that all the headlines the next day were about Man Utd and their new player.

Let's wait and see. One of the reasons why I'm so looking forward to this new season is to see our Academy lads play in a settled club that is finally ready to be competitive in the league once more. The past two years of turmoil have been a baptism of fire for all of them.

Young players develop in different ways and at differing paces. I remember Dwight Yorke taking two/three years to find his feet, for example. Writing players off too soon is a dangerous game.

Going back to Wilshere, I've seen it all before, going back to Paul Walsh at Luton Town in the early eighties: the London press is so focused on their own patch it's untrue. Joe Cole was another one that was hyped up beyond all proportion. Gazza (when at Spurs) got all the attention whilst David Platt received relatively little. FA Cup winning Glen Hoddle got all the praise whilst League Champion and European Cup winning Sid Cowans was an after thought. We don't get the hype because the national press might focus on Villa two or three times a year at most.

Wilshere is a very good young player but worthy of all the hype he's been getting? Not a chance, you'd think he was a genuine sporting genius the amount of coverage he's been getting. Gardner and Bannan are very, very good young players, too.

I'll close with another example of how good our young lads are:

http://manunitedyouth.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/reserves-united-1-villa-4-brilliant-bannan-ruins-bebes-big-day-out/

...and remind you that all the headlines the next day were about Man Utd and their new player.

You make some good points and i was not writing any of our kids off merely saying, don't get too carried away.

Another point I would ask you to consider.

There is only ONE TEAM in a football club its the first team all the others are built for finding players who can fit in too it and make an impact.

I didn't see the game you refer to Man U 1- Villa 4 on paper it looks like we outplayed them and that we have the better youth team, but games are not played on paper and results only tell you so much.They may have some better individuals that will make more benefit to their first team than ours much in the same way we beat Everton 4-1 in the youth cup final .... but they discovered Rooney from their exploits.... which would you soon have a youth cup or a 25 million pound player on your hands.

Just trying to put a few things in perspective.

I agree. Perspective is required when judging ALL youth players. Often we tend to use plenty of perspective when it comes to our own lads but then lose all sense of perspective when some hyped up kid from another club hits the scene. There's a significant percentage of our own fan base that seems to have the default setting of the grass always being greener elsewhere, they take the media's word as gospel and so on. It's this attitude that breeds a losing mentality and inferiority complex. Villa, as a club, should never have an inferiority complex - and nor should anyone who pulls on the claret and blue jersey. Would I swap Gary Gardner for Wilshere? Not in a million years.

I thought Bale always played LB for Southampton. Wasn't it Harry Redknapp that turned him into a LW and only to accommodate Assou-Ekotto.

dont believe the hype. Bale was about to be shifted to Forest but an injury crisis forced the great unemployed tactical master to play Bale on left wing. rest is history

I agree. Perspective is required when judging ALL youth players. Often we tend to use plenty of perspective when it comes to our own lads but then lose all sense of perspective when some hyped up kid from another club hits the scene. There's a significant percentage of our own fan base that seems to have the default setting of the grass always being greener elsewhere, they take the media's word as gospel and so on. It's this attitude that breeds a losing mentality and inferiority complex. Villa, as a club, should never have an inferiority complex - and nor should anyone who pulls on the claret and blue jersey. Would I swap Gary Gardner for Wilshere? Not in a million years.

Hard to disagree with that.

I agree with you on principle, but not with this particular pair.

Gardner really struggled last season. You can say it was because of AM, and that would be a fair argument, but Wilshire has had success at the top level. Unfortunately, Gardner has not yet.

I do think he will come good though.

How do people think he's looked in the friendlies so far?

I think he's looked ok, working on getting up to the pace and fitness needed like the rest of his squad. But his eagerness is apparent, his hunger, that's probably a better word, and I admire that.

• 3 weeks later...
Our very own jack Wilshire was very poor when he came on.

His appearances are going to be limited this season and he needs to do better than today if he's going to be a regular player for us.

Ive never known him be anything else but awful

fail to see what he can offer us in the future...

no real glimpses of anything....

early days still but even with young players you can normally see a spark in some area of their game...

i can't think of a single thing that Gardner looks like he could excel in

Â