Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

Think a loan move to championship or lower prem team (ala Wiltshire at Bolton) would aid his development, maybe add him on loan as part of the cresswell deal....think he needs a run of starting games in his preferred central position.....can't see him starting consistently for us yet

Gardner to me CAN become a far better player than Wilshire. Pace wise they are similar, passing and awareness they are similar, but Gardner is a unit, strong, tall, good in the air and scores goals. If we can bring him through, a midfield of Gardner, El Ahmadi and Bannan could be excellent. But its all what COULD be its relying on all three players delivering on their impressive promise. I have high hopes, but that is all!

The Wilshere comparisons are way off the mark. That guy is genuinely really, really good.

Indeed.

Gardner to me CAN become a far better player than Wilshire

Far better? If he makes it even close to the level of Wilshere we have a fantastic player on our hands, and England regular no doubt. I think in reality you should lower your hopes.

I like Gardner though, a lot.

Gardner was poor last season when given the chance. Another not being able to live up to hype and should be moved on along with Weimann and Fonz.

You have been posting some very strange stuff lately, very reactionary. Remind me Morpheus, who was our manager last season and what kind of tactics did he adopt? Did he play Gary Gardner in his natural position? Was the vibe and the quality surrounding the club last season of a sufficient level to allow a young player finding his feet the opportunity to shine?

Aside from Chris Herd, who was played in his natural position and probably hasn't the brain capacity to be dragged down by a miserable atmosphere, none of our youngsters shone last season. Not a single one of them. In fact, he's one of only two perhaps three if you count The Captain to have come out of that sorry mess with any credit at all.

Writing anyone off based on last season alone is a terrible idea. I thought we all knew that?

Gardner can be AS GOOD as Wilshere but I don't think he'll be better. That's not a knock on Gardner's ability but just how good Wilshere is.

I really do feel though that Gardner can be a massive player for us as he's in the same mould as Gerrard (Not comparing their ability btw). He can influence the game in many different way's in all area's of the pitch. For example DB is a great goalscorer but if other player's are having a crap game and he's not getting the service he won't do much by himself, whereas Gardner could take the game by the scruff of the neck, take the responsibility upon his shoulder's and pull the team through.

Mark my word's he'll be captain one day.

Gardner was poor last season when given the chance. Another not being able to live up to hype and should be moved on along with Weimann and Fonz.

You have been posting some very strange stuff lately, very reactionary. Remind me Morpheus, who was our manager last season and what kind of tactics did he adopt? Did he play Gary Gardner in his natural position? Was the vibe and the quality surrounding the club last season of a sufficient level to allow a young player finding his feet the opportunity to shine?

Aside from Chris Herd, who was played in his natural position and probably hasn't the brain capacity to be dragged down by a miserable atmosphere, none of our youngsters shone last season. Not a single one of them. In fact, he's one of only two perhaps three if you count The Captain to have come out of that sorry mess with any credit at all.

Writing anyone off based on last season alone is a terrible idea. I thought we all knew that?

I've seen a lot of posts recently trying to excuse the lack of quality shown by our youth due to the ginger one. While you might be correct in your assumption that this was indeed due to our last manager, i am of the opinion that out on the field, quality will shine no matter what, if the attitude is right and the quality is there. I have seen nothing of that from Gardner and feel he has been over hyped by some of the fans including me.

Currently i do not feel we have any gems within our youth who will be able to move our club forward with the exception of Clark. The others simply are not good enough to be anything other than squad fillers until Lambert purchases the quality needed and then i am in no doubt that the likes of Gardner, Bannan, Weimann and Fonz will be shipped out!

My posts may be deemed as reactionary but they are drenched in my impatience to see our club finally moving forward in the right way on the pitch.

I've seen a lot of posts recently trying to excuse the lack of quality shown by our youth due to the ginger one. While you might be correct in your assumption that this was indeed due to our last manager, i am of the opinion that out on the field, quality will shine no matter what, if the attitude is right and the quality is there. I have seen nothing of that from Gardner and feel he has been over hyped by some of the fans including me.

Currently i do not feel we have any gems within our youth who will be able to move our club forward with the exception of Clark. The others simply are not good enough to be anything other than squad fillers until Lambert purchases the quality needed.

My posts may be deemed as reactionary but they are drenched in my impatience to see our club finally moving forward in the right way on the pitch.

That's fair enough. I didn't mean to sound so condescending for what it's worth, I'm trying to adjust my posting style. Honest!

I do think you're wrong to judge Gardner based on what I have written above. He wasn't handled well at all, I genuinely believe that. If you still think the same come December then I'll likely agree with you.

Currently i do not feel we have any gems within our youth who will be able to move our club forward with the exception of Clark. The others simply are not good enough to be anything other than squad fillers until Lambert purchases the quality needed.

That's fair enough. I didn't mean to sound so condescending for what it's worth, I'm trying to adjust my posting style. Honest!

I do think you're wrong to judge Gardner based on what I have written above. He wasn't handled well at all, I genuinely believe that. If you still think the same come December then I'll likely agree with you.

:thumb:

I don't think Gardner will ever be captian material. I don't think he's particularly bright lets say, seems like all his intelligence is used up on football. Last season that guy played him in a defensive mid role, when Gardner has alway been the type to dictate play, get forward and score goals, he never really had a run of games either. So I am not surprised he struggled, when you throw in the fact EVERYONE struggled you have to sympathise with him really.

Maybe the FAR better was a bit much, but I do believe he can become a better player than Wilshire, as I implied in my previous post its just hope based on his impressive potential. He has a long way to go. All this talk about Wilshire is a little over the top, He's only had 18 months of looking a very good player, and now he has to come back from a 16 month lay off. We must also remember 12 months of that was alongside Fabregas, and Song who are both fantastic players (the other 6 in an otherwise average Bolton team). Things are lot easier when you are in that kind of company.

A better comparison for Gardner is Gerrard or Lampard in terms the type of player he is. He has a hell of a long way to get to their level though.

I see him having the potential to be a match winner and possibly captain one day. He does seem to possess the desire to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and the confidence to try things. He's very raw at the moment, he reminds me of how Gerrard was when he first broke in to the Liverpool team.

I see him having the potential to be a match winner and possibly captain one day. He does seem to possess the desire to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and the confidence to try things. He's very raw at the moment, he reminds me of how Gerrard was when he first broke in to the Liverpool team.

Gardner had opportunities to get games by the scruff of the neck last season and instead became invisible, hiding behind the pressure.

He is nowhere near as good as Gerrard at the same age and never will be. A Championship player at best!

He is nowhere near as good as Gerrard at the same age and never will be. A Championship player at best!

Gerrard's career didn't really take off until he was 20, might have made his debut at 18, but he only really made the odd sub appearance and was beset by back injuries up until he was 20.

When gardner plays with kids his own age he stands out massively. You could see his quality in the next gen series, he just needs to step it up when he gets his first team chances now.

The problem he will have this year is that CM is quite competitive. You've got herd, delph, bannan and gardner who all will be fighting for minutes on the pitch and they've got to get past ireland, el ahamdi and holman first.

When gardner plays with kids his own age he stands out massively. You could see his quality in the next gen series, he just needs to step it up when he gets his first team chances now.

The problem he will have this year is that CM is quite competitive. You've got herd, delph, bannan and gardner who all will be fighting for minutes on the pitch and they've got to get past ireland, el ahamdi and holman first.

Gardner has had a lot of hype around him but whenever I have seen him play the game sems to pass him by. I am hoping for much more this season. If he is as good as everybody says he is then he should have no worries about competing with Delph who is one of the worst midfielders I have seen in a long time at villa park or Bannan who is very average.

Â