Brad Guzan

R.Bear

How did Lambert know to re-sign him. I.e when would he ever really have saw him at Norwich. He might have been resigned as backup to given then Lambert realised how good he really was

Interesting point actually.. it's not like he was playing constantly before Lambert came to the club that he could make a judgement.

Maybe he was still at the club when Lambert came and saw him in training and decided from that?

How did Lambert know to re-sign him. I.e when would he ever really have saw him at Norwich. He might have been resigned as backup to given then Lambert realised how good he really was

Interesting point actually.. it's not like he was playing constantly before Lambert came to the club that he could make a judgement.

Maybe he was still at the club when Lambert came and saw him in training and decided from that?

I'm sure he was re-signed as backup, otherwise he'd have played him from the start.

I imagine Lambert's thinking considered that we probably wouldn't get another backup keeper for the same money, so we may as well keep Guzan.

The credit Lambert deserves is for giving him his chance, and keeping him in the team when he proved himself.

He's capable of the odd rush of blood. He's been mostly good this season, I can accept the odd error of judgement. It can't be easy being behind Clark and Bennett (useless), Vlaar (dodgy) and Baker and Lowton (excellent promise, but naive). Won't exactly fill you with confidence as a keeper.

Overall he was pretty sound but he's made a couple of errors of judgement  in recent games. Guess we would rather him come out and get the ball rather than leave it like for the United first goal.

Overall he was pretty sound but he's made a couple of errors of judgement in recent games. Guess we would rather him come out and get the ball rather than leave it like for the United first goal.

Aye. I want him to keel that aggression, it's that which stands stands him apart from other excellent shot stoppers, of which he certainly is.

He's missed a couple recently that's all. It was going to happen eventually.

My player of the season.

• Like 1

Wow was it that controversial? It's not hard to pick a fight with people always seeking to hack at every post, also with awesome keyboard and GIF-skills... I surrender!

FWIW, it was a very good and important save, but when such a good keeper has time to react he is also going to make that save. Trickier when the shot or header is closer and hit more directly at goal, that's all, leaving only instinct to take the shot.

I always find that my initial full-speed reactions as I'm watching the game are correct. Seeing something happen before the replays complicate things enables your spacial judgement to work correctly.

I was watching that on a stream and as it left Samba's head I started to worry. As it went into the air it was on a perfect trajectory to go right in the top right hand corner, the type of header you see go in every _single_ time, because they're unsaveable, I knew 100% it was a goal, because you just never see them saved. If the keeper's positioned correctly, and the ball goes that far out of their reach then it's a goal. When Guzan managed to not only get something on it, but enough to push it round the post I was truly astounded. You can watch it over and over again on slow speed, but that takes the rapid judgement of the physics out of it. I'd recommend watching it from the front view at full speed and then say it's nothing special.

Pat Nevin has just said pretty much this on MOTD2 while calling it out as save of the season. 

But I'm sure the save was nothing special.

Guzan has been very good this season, no doubt about it. Amongst the best? Probably not, every single fan of every single club would beg to differ. The GK standard in the Premier League is at its highest ever in my opinion. As far as stats go, the more you have to do - the better you often look. Goalkeepers at the best clubs have fewer saves to make, but every single time they make what resembles an error it is on the frontpage of every newspaper. If Guzan lets in five goals, one of them being a slight error and he also makes 3 brilliant saves, well then he can still be man of the match. If Hart, de Gea or Cech let in a sloppy goal in the 90th and they win 3-1, they will most likely get a big mention in the report for not keeping a clean sheet. Tough job that..

Look at Joe Hart, he has probably had an below average season when he looks back at his career in ten years... but would he let in more goals or make less saves than Guzan for Villa this season? Doubtful.

I think it's fairly apparent you know nothing about goalkeeping :lol:

Wow was it that controversial? It's not hard to pick a fight with people always seeking to hack at every post, also with awesome keyboard and GIF-skills... I surrender!

FWIW, it was a very good and important save, but when such a good keeper has time to react he is also going to make that save. Trickier when the shot or header is closer and hit more directly at goal, that's all, leaving only instinct to take the shot.

I always find that my initial full-speed reactions as I'm watching the game are correct. Seeing something happen before the replays complicate things enables your spacial judgement to work correctly.

I was watching that on a stream and as it left Samba's head I started to worry. As it went into the air it was on a perfect trajectory to go right in the top right hand corner, the type of header you see go in every _single_ time, because they're unsaveable, I knew 100% it was a goal, because you just never see them saved. If the keeper's positioned correctly, and the ball goes that far out of their reach then it's a goal. When Guzan managed to not only get something on it, but enough to push it round the post I was truly astounded. You can watch it over and over again on slow speed, but that takes the rapid judgement of the physics out of it. I'd recommend watching it from the front view at full speed and then say it's nothing special.

Pat Nevin has just said pretty much this on MOTD2 while calling it out as save of the season. 

But I'm sure the save was nothing special.

Watching it on a stream, why weren't you at VP, not really agreeing with your opinion now

Â