Brad Guzan

R.Bear

A cross post from the stats thread in the other football forum, but I think it's worth repeating. 

RE: Guzan being the first keeper to make 200 saves in the Premier League this season. 

MizKQzZ.jpg

I assume the 200+ saves figure from above is just the sum total of saves + high claims + successful smothers linked here.  Stats from whoscored.com

There was a stat going around about Guzan recently that he had also made the joint fewest mistakes leading directly to a goal of all goalkeepers in the division (shared with Jaaskelainen of West Ham) 

He has had an exceptional season, the stats back up the claim that he is up there with the very best goalkeepers in the division both in terms of raw numbers and as percentages.  He wont get the recognition he deserves because of the goals against column, but that is probably a good thing because it means he stays under the radar.  He has two years left on his current contract, getting him to sign an extension should be one of our main priorities this summer. 

• Like 3

Has to be player of the year.

We'd already be down if we had a worse keeper in goal.

63 goals conceded and he's the only keeper in the league to make over 200 saves. Imagine the state we'd be in if we didn't have him in goal.

Just further proof of the shocking defence we've had to watch Paul Lambert assemble.

Can I pre empt any replies and beg that we discuss the terrible defence in one of the other dozen threads it's already being discussed in and leave this one about how well Brad is doing?

• Like 1

I thought last night he should have claimed the first.

The 2nd looked like he started to come out then changed his mind as he saw RVP was gunna smack it, leaving him in no-mans-land.

The 3rd he couldn't do anything. 

63 goals conceded and he's the only keeper in the league to make over 200 saves. Imagine the state we'd be in if we didn't have him in goal.

Just further proof of the shocking defence we've had to watch Paul Lambert assemble.

but no credit to Lambert for re-signing him when he was on the scrapheap

Give it a rest - it's in every other thread.

I don't get how you think he is player of the year but he is part of the (worst I've ever seen) defence that lambert assembled??

How many goals have we conceded again? I wish someone would post it.

The big man has been top quality! masterstroke by Lambert to resign him.

Guzan has been very good this season, no doubt about it. Amongst the best? Probably not, every single fan of every single club would beg to differ. The GK standard in the Premier League is at its highest ever in my opinion. As far as stats go, the more you have to do - the better you often look. Goalkeepers at the best clubs have fewer saves to make, but every single time they make what resembles an error it is on the frontpage of every newspaper. If Guzan lets in five goals, one of them being a slight error and he also makes 3 brilliant saves, well then he can still be man of the match. If Hart, de Gea or Cech let in a sloppy goal in the 90th and they win 3-1, they will most likely get a big mention in the report for not keeping a clean sheet. Tough job that..

Look at Joe Hart, he has probably had an below average season when he looks back at his career in ten years... but would he let in more goals or make less saves than Guzan for Villa this season? Doubtful.

but no credit to Lambert for re-signing him when he was on the scrapheap

Yes I've given him credit for that.

Give it a rest - it's in every other thread.

It's in about 3, all of which are related to the defence.

I don't get how you think he is player of the year but he is part of the (worst I've ever seen) defence that lambert assembled??

Because he's been excellent and his individual stats back that up. It's also clear that he can't be blamed for how bad our defence has been this season. I think that's pretty simple to understand.

The big man has been top quality! masterstroke by Lambert to resign him.

Don't think many would disagree with that.

Guzan has been very good this season, no doubt about it. Amongst the best? Probably not, every single fan of every single club would beg to differ. The GK standard in the Premier League is at its highest ever in my opinion. As far as stats go, the more you have to do - the better you often look. Goalkeepers at the best clubs have fewer saves to make, but every single time they make what resembles an error it is on the frontpage of every newspaper. If Guzan lets in five goals, one of them being a slight error and he also makes 3 brilliant saves, well then he can still be man of the match. If Hart, de Gea or Cech let in a sloppy goal in the 90th and they win 3-1, they will most likely get a big mention in the report for not keeping a clean sheet. Tough job that..

Look at Joe Hart, he has probably had an below average season when he looks back at his career in ten years... but would he let in more goals or make less saves than Guzan for Villa this season? Doubtful.

I dont think it has. big names like Hart, Reina have had poor campaigns even Cech hasnt looked great. Best keeper has been either De Gea, Guzan, Begovic or Jaaskelainen and 3 of them are at struggling clubs. No other keeper has stood out

Guzan was his normal brilliant self tonight yet for once he isn't getting a mention as the whole team put in a full shift.

Before the game when the players were doing their pre-match huddle, it was Guzan and not Vlaar that was doing the shouting at players getting them pumped and doing the leadership bit.

His hands tonight were really safe in seriously difficult conditions for a goalkeeper.

His save in the last minute was awesome.

Brad No Goal For You Guzan.

• Like 1

I was convinced Sunderland were going to score right at the end to take a bit of gloss off the win. Guzan had other ideas. Best player for me throughout the season.

They should carve Brad's head onto Mount Rushmore.

Â