Brad Guzan

R.Bear

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

Having watched the replay of their goal I thought he could have gone for it. There was an empty space develop right in front of him that he could have gone into to punch the ball clear. 

Possibly, but there was a crowd of players jumping for that ball in front of where he would have claimed it. He obviously thought they'd get a head to it, and if that happens and he's come out to claim it then it's an open goal and he'd have looked an idiot.

If he knew that none of them would get a head to it then he should hve come out. But it would have been a gamble.

Overall, from what I saw, it was a good performance. Only one particularly good save. But coming out for crosses he was excellent.

• Like 1

I thought Guzan was good, the goal I think was Sanzhez's fault for losing his man, don't think Guzan could have come out for that. 

But watching the game, I was screaming at Guzan to throw the ball out quickly for the counter 4 or 5 times in the first-half. It was so annoying when he got the ball in his hands from a  failed Southampton attack, he would hold on to it for an eternity until all the players got into position I don't know whether it was a lack of confidence with his throws or what but in the second half, he did start a fantastic counter with a punt upfield for Ayew to run onto. 

It was just frustrating to watch him hold on to the ball for so long when a quick throwout could have done so much damage. 

Edited by Alpaywasawesome

17 minutes ago, villarocker said:

He did make one great kick upfield to Ayew who broke 1v1 off the back of it. But, his others were hit and miss. 

Yeah that was excellent. But out of his hands he's always been alright I think. It's off the ground where he struggles.

To be honest, if he's booting balls into touch like he did a couple of times yesterday I don't mind. As long as he's not gifting it to the opposition we'll be ok. If we're giving away goals because our keeper puts it out for a throw on the halfway line then we need to ask ourselves questions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that was excellent. But out of his hands he's always been alright I think. It's off the ground where he struggles.

To be honest, if he's booting balls into touch like he did a couple of times yesterday I don't mind. As long as he's not gifting it to the opposition we'll be ok. If we're giving away goals because our keeper puts it out for a throw on the halfway line then we need to ask ourselves questions.

Yes, that's true, but giving away possession constantly clearly doesn't actually help matters. 

I'm not really moaning, either Guzan has looked better in the last few games or the rest of the team have got worse (or both), one way or another he seems less of a problem lately, and has made a few good saves. I still don't think he's a starting PL goalkeeper though, if he gets a move in the summer it'll be to be 2nd or 3rd choice at a big club, or overseas IMO. 

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, that's true, but giving away possession constantly clearly doesn't actually help matters. 

Of course not. I'm not saying it's not a bad thing.

I just mean in our current situation if that's the worst thing Guzan is doing then we're ok.

6 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He looked good before Sherwood took over, and looks good now that Sherwood is gone. Maybe Guzan was not comfortable how Sherwood had him playing or the team playing?

He looked poor in lamberts last season 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He looked good before Sherwood took over, and looks good now that Sherwood is gone. Maybe Guzan was not comfortable how Sherwood had him playing or the team playing?

Sherwood to blame again for something that didnt actually happen. Guzan is playing slightly better than before but doesnt mean he Premier League quality

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Sherwood to blame again for something that didnt actually happen. Guzan is playing slightly better than before but doesnt mean he Premier League quality

Not pinning blame on Sherwood. I said maybe which is a fair assumption, but it is just an assumption. 

47 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

He looked poor in lamberts last season 

Not really. He just was not making world class saves like he had been the previous 2 seasons. 

• Like 1

Â