Stephen Warnock

KSV

Stevens was actually starting to play well prior to him getting injured. Was putting good crosses into the box and defending well. Whats the story with him?

I disagree. A player might have an ability in terms of putting in a good cross or two, but it does not make up for the fact that he also might be inept in every other department. If Enda Stevens played for let's say Wigan or Reading, we would never ever regard him as an OK player that we would want to have in our squad. Being a full back is first and foremost about being a good defender, and if you are extremely good you also contribute in attack with goals and assists like Patrice Evra, Dani Alves, Bacary Sagna and Ashley Cole without it ruining your defensive capabilities. Sure, these players are also prone to defensive mistakes because they are caught upfield, but that is in the nature of their game/tactics and in the end their contribution weights heavier than a few goals shipped in at the back. For a team like Villa, we need defensive stability more than assits from the back, and in my opinion Enda Stevens is a very, very limited player I would not want to have in my ideal squad. Sure, right about now we have no other options but we are allowed to talk about the problems we would want gone and he is above all one of them. Just like Eric Lichaj and Barry Bannan, I don't think any of them are anywhere near good enough for the team I want us to be. I read somewhere yesterday that Barry Bannan is the most accurate crosser in the league, by a good margin as well, but I have seen almost every game this season and my impression is that his delivery is not dangerous at all. This is also pretty evident given he has 2 assists to his name all season and none in the last 18 (he has not played every one of them mind) and he takes most of our set-pieces. I think this that should have been around 5-7 assists, at least reaching 10-12 over 38 games.

Enda Stevens and Eric Lichaj? I just know we will let in goals when they are in the team.

Apparently Fulham are wanting rid of Riise, and are wanting Warnock.

Of course, it could be lazy journo's (who would have thought!). Maybe give 'em a call about a swap?

Riise is maybe on a bit of money, but why would they let him go? He is a very hard worker both in training and matches, he has played 18 full games this season in the Premier League and he is almost never injured. On top of that, he is experienced and he chips in with a few assists and dangerous attempts from set-pieces. I doubt they would sell him and bring Warnock in as his replacement. One, he is not as good as Riise, he hasn't played Premier League-football in ages, is a bit prone to injuries I think and anyone can question his attitude. I don't like Riise as a person (I'm Norwegian), but I cannot question his commitment on the pitch.

why would fulham want warnock and get rid of riise? what a stupid transaction, only villa make stupid decisions like that

riise might be on the wrong side of 30 now but hes better than warnock, will gladly swap

To think, when we signed him baines went to everton at the same time for less than warnocks price yet we was considered to have the better deal, a decent opening to his villa career, followed by 2 and a half seasons of utter shite, abject performances. Never the same after the 2010 final.

Edited by Jimzk5

To think, when we signed him baines went to everton at the same time for less than warns cks price yet we was considered to have the better deal, a decent opening to his villa career, followed by 2 and a half seasons of utter shite, abject performances. Never the same after the 2010 final.

We're Baines and warnock really signed at the same time?

Warnock is a liability, any team that wants him can have him! Last season he looked half decent in central mid, but as a LB was diabolical in a team that finished a point off relegation. Hell cuellar and lichaj managed look better than warnock at LB last season!

My mistake baines was signed the summer before we signed warnock for 4.5million. We signed warnock for 7.5million.

we got Nicky Shorey that summer and Baines still a better deal. Since Bouma we have Warnock, Luke Young, Shorey, Beye, Bennett, Stevens, Lichaj, Delph, Clark, Baker all play there and all look as bad as each other except Young who was decent but didnt like the position

• 2 weeks later...

Sky Sports understands that Leeds United have emerged as favourites to signStephen Warnock ahead of West Ham. "Stephen we thought was a go-er, but another club in the Championship made him a more long-term offer which I think he has accepted," said Hammers boss Sam Allardyce.

thought a deal was already done

I thought he was one of the reasons we stayed up last season, playing in central midfield. 

Of course, there are rumours that he had a terrible attitude, but we, as fans, could never really be certain of that. I'm not convinced he's any worse than Bennett at the moment, and I think it was a mistake to completely freeze him out when we're playing so badly. 

Not always good, but not always bad either. He is overpaid though, and Lambert doesn't like him at all, so in that respect it's good that he's leaving. 

Â