Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really? so if we offered him a 2 year deal with a rolling 12 month extension giving us some protection if he fails to deliver or gets crook. you think people would be unhappy with us signing him then?

Some people on here really are f**king brain dead. The reason he has a 5 year contract is because it is what he demanded. He already has 3 years of big money at City, if he is to take a paycut like we would have demanded he then says he will agree to the cut if the contract is longer. Its called negotiation to a point where both parties are happy. Offering a 2 year deal is a complete waste of time.

are you givens agent? did you sort out the contract negotiations? oh your not and.... no you didnt.

so you are merely hypothesising like the rest of us.

so sort yourself out fool.

Only an idiot would offer a top class keeper a contract shorter than the one he is on with less money to come to a club lower down the food chain to the one he is at. Factor in he's going to have to move his family to the Midlands is just down right laughable.

really? so if we offered him a 2 year deal with a rolling 12 month extension giving us some protection if he fails to deliver or gets crook. you think people would be unhappy with us signing him then?

Some people on here really are f**king brain dead. The reason he has a 5 year contract is because it is what he demanded. He already has 3 years of big money at City, if he is to take a paycut like we would have demanded he then says he will agree to the cut if the contract is longer. Its called negotiation to a point where both parties are happy. Offering a 2 year deal is a complete waste of time.

are you givens agent? did you sort out the contract negotiations? oh your not and.... no you didnt.

It's not rocket science to work out that what Tamuff said is pretty much bang on how things panned out.

"Look Shay, we cant afford to pay you £75k p/w because it doesnt fit in with our wage structure...however we can give you 5 year contract in place of a 3 year contract?"

So he's not a fool.

I think it's also too simplistic to say that Shay's contract will be:

52 weeks @ 60k per week for 5 years = £15.6million

Transfer fee of £3million

Total investment is £18.6m

There will be appearance, clean sheet and other bonuses written in to the contract. Also, Shay's wages will be covered by insurance in the event of a long term injury.

The GK position is vital to the team - You don't rotate it as much, you rely on stability in that position more so than in any other position. Investing heavily in that stability, whilst mitigating against any risk, makes sound business and footballing sense.

Let's remember that Shay Given is one of the best in the business at what he does. Having that kind of quality costs, but the return on that investment will be IMO significant.

There's a risk with any length of contract, be it 2 years or 5 years. Any player could break their leg tomorrow and that would be it, it's just something the club has to live with.

In the scheme of things, 5 years does seems like a long time, but at least that's now a position that we don't have to worry about for a good few summers yet. If he has a good season this year I'd feel a lot happier knowing he still has 4 more years on his contract rather than only 1 or 2, as that would greatly increase the likelihood of him leaving as other clubs would probably think putting an offer in is a risk worth taking and we all know that if an opportunity comes up to get another signing-on fee, players generally take it (in our experience anyway!).

I'm not saying that particular risk goes away with a longer contract, but it'd certainly make people think twice as they'd know they would have to at least match the length of the deal or offer a hefty pay increase, combined with quite a high transfer fee.

It feels as though we are saying to other clubs with this, 'he's ours until he retires, look elsewhere', and he's signed the contract, so is happy to agree to that as well.

If it doesn't pay off, then so be it, but we would have had doctors, lawyers, accountants and not to mention the manager, chairman and CEO all to approve & analyse this, they would have looked at all the facts and have obviously spent a great deal of time and effort securing this deal and considered it a risk worth taking. I've got no problem with that.

Getting the kind of deals I like is difficult enough on Football Manager, never mind real life! For me this deal is a.....Given.

Welcome to Villa Shay!

Couple things...

firstly, the contract you put out, he simply might have said he didn't want that short a length of contract.

Secondly, Given is lighter than Friedel and suddenly wouldn't class Friedel as lean and tall. Friedel is only an inch bigger than Given, it's hardly a big difference.

your 100% right, given may not have agreed to that sort of contract, i recall saying i would GUESS he would probably only sign on a 4 year deal.

i was merely putting a suggestion forward after another poster implied it is all or nothing with no room for any kind of discussion or theories on how the deal could have been done.

as for height weight ratio

friedel is 6 ft 3 or 6 foot 4 depending on which source and weight 14 stone 4

given is between 6 foot and 6 foot 1 depending on who you believe and weighs in at 13 stone 3 ( he weighs far more than that in those photos)

their body shapes are completely different and the height difference which is between 2 and 4 inches makes a huge difference in weight

muscle also weighs more than fat and while looking at some of the pics of given when he was playing, his face looks more defined. look at pics of him last season and this preseason and its clear to see he needs to do some work.

and the older you get with that sort of shape, the harder it is to keep in shape.

it is not a critisism of given, it is merely stating how it is for people of that build. if he doesnt train hard and keep his diet in check he gets out of shape quicker than a taller leaner person such as friedel.

It's not rocket science to work out that what Tamuff said is pretty much bang on how things panned out.

"Look Shay, we cant afford to pay you £75k p/w because it doesnt fit in with our wage structure...however we can give you 5 year contract in place of a 3 year contract?"

So he's not a fool.

so shay given is a liar then?

because im pretty sure he has been quoted as saying it is all about the football and to be playing again?

when you are a multi millionaire and have several properties around the uk and ireland and various investments, it is completely different to someone earning 40 k per year being offered a job for 35k per year.

if people cant see that then there is no hope for them.

because im pretty sure he has been quoted as saying it is all about the football and to be playing again?

when you are a multi millionaire and have several properties around the uk and ireland and various investments, it is completely different to someone earning 40 k per year being offered a job for 35k per year.

That's a very myopic viewpoint.

If you think a professional footballer would sacrifice up to 20% of his earning capabilities in the last 5 years of his career, for any reason (footballing or other), then there is no hope for you.

Given will want stability - the chance for him to play regular football and be paid accordingly.

He has 5 years, maybe 7, left at the top level of professional football. Do you not think he's within his rights to feather his nest?

That's a very myopic viewpoint.

If you think a professional footballer would sacrifice up to 20% of his earning capabilities in the last 5 years of his career, for any reason (footballing or other), then there is no hope for you.

Given will want stability - the chance for him to play regular football and be paid accordingly.

He has 5 years, maybe 7, left at the top level of professional football. Do you not think he's within his rights to feather his nest?

so you think he is a liar then?

the difference of 8 million in wages compaired to 10 million? you think someone with already 20 million plus of investments is going to be overly concerned over 2 million when he gets the chance and oportunity to do what he loves?

Anyone else think the 5 years might actually suit Villa as well?

Like Tamuff I think he's negotiated a longer deal for the paycut, but I also think Villa have thought this one through.

If he does really well someone might come sniffing in next couple of years

and we sell him for loadsa dosh as he will still be on a long contract, with a ready replacement in situ, hopefully by then.

So he's not a fool.

There is no difference at all.

Right i will say it again, Shay Given wanted say £75k p/w for 4 years, AVFC say we cant afford £75k p/w for 4 years so we will pay you £55k p/w for 5 years.

So yes, Given has took a pay cut to come and play for AVFC.

Couple things...

firstly, the contract you put out, he simply might have said he didn't want that short a length of contract.

Secondly, Given is lighter than Friedel and suddenly wouldn't class Friedel as lean and tall. Friedel is only an inch bigger than Given, it's hardly a big difference.

your 100% right, given may not have agreed to that sort of contract, i recall saying i would GUESS he would probably only sign on a 4 year deal.

i was merely putting a suggestion forward after another poster implied it is all or nothing with no room for any kind of discussion or theories on how the deal could have been done.

as for height weight ratio

friedel is 6 ft 3 or 6 foot 4 depending on which source and weight 14 stone 4

given is between 6 foot and 6 foot 1 depending on who you believe and weighs in at 13 stone 3 ( he weighs far more than that in those photos)

their body shapes are completely different and the height difference which is between 2 and 4 inches makes a huge difference in weight

muscle also weighs more than fat and while looking at some of the pics of given when he was playing, his face looks more defined. look at pics of him last season and this preseason and its clear to see he needs to do some work.

and the older you get with that sort of shape, the harder it is to keep in shape.

it is not a critisism of given, it is merely stating how it is for people of that build. if he doesnt train hard and keep his diet in check he gets out of shape quicker than a taller leaner person such as friedel.

Brad Friedel is officially 3cm taller than Shay Given. They really don't have as much difference in height as you make it. Nowhere even near 4 inches.

Given is a 3cm smaller and a stone lighter ...I'm not sure how that calculation makes Given stocky and Friedel tall and lean.

so you think he is a liar then?

the difference of 8 million in wages compaired to 10 million? you think someone with already 20 million plus of investments is going to be overly concerned over 2 million when he gets the chance and oportunity to do what he loves?

Find me anybody, ANYBODY, in Shay's position who would be willing to write off £2million pounds at the click of his fingers.

Your figures are wooly at best, but lets work with them.

If he has £20m of investments, you're asking him to sacrifice 10% of that?

Brad Friedel is officially 3cm taller than Shay Given. They really don't have as much difference in height as you make it.

But which is better?

There's only one way to find out...

Brad Friedel is officially 3cm taller than Shay Given. They really don't have as much difference in height as you make it. Nowhere even near 4 inches.

Given is a 3cm smaller and a stone lighter ...I'm not sure how that calculation makes Given stocky and Friedel tall and lean.

officially to whom?

at newcastle given was officially 6 foot tall, at blackburn friedel was officially 6 foot 4

on the spurz website friedel is officially 6 foot 3

on the man city website given was 6 foot 1

so the minimum 'official' height difference is 2 inches or 5 cm, the maximum being 4 inches or 10 cm

as i say, muscle weighs more than fat, given while solid is not ripped or lean, friedel is lean with muscle

the simplest way is just looking at the pair of them, their physical shape is completely different, given has more of an endomorph shape and friedel has more of an ectomorph shape

Anyone else think the 5 years might actually suit Villa as well?

Like Tamuff I think he's negotiated a longer deal for the paycut, but I also think Villa have thought this one through.

If he does really well someone might come sniffing in next couple of years

and we sell him for loadsa dosh as he will still be on a long contract, with a ready replacement in situ, hopefully by then.

Yes. Someone was willing to acquire Friedel at 40, I'm sure we could make a marginal amount of money for say, a 38 year old Given.

But, this is VT and people will always look for something to moan about.

officially to whom?

at newcastle given was officially 6 foot tall, at blackburn friedel was officially 6 foot 4

on the spurz website friedel is officially 6 foot 3

on the man city website given was 6 foot 1

so the minimum 'official' height difference is 2 inches or 5 cm, the maximum being 4 inches or 10 cm

as i say, muscle weighs more than fat, given while solid is not ripped or lean, friedel is lean with muscle

the simplest way is just looking at the pair of them, their physical shape is completely different, given has more of an endomorph shape and friedel has more of an ectomorph shape

Friedel may have actually come off his line other than at half time and the end of the game if he was 6ft 4in. Which he blatantly isn't.

I must say I am pleased with this signing. I think Given will be a great player for us, cant think of any other GK that we'd realistically have a chance of signing that Id rather have with us.

Contract length - dont see the issue, its completely reasonable to assume that Shay will be able to play at the required standard for the next 3-6 yrs and as with any player who that can be said about a 4/5 yr contract would be what you want sign the player on. It suits the club, even if he moves on in 2 yrs we're not likely to lose much money.

Very positive all in all but we're going to need another half a dozen quality players to improve on last season.

Good luck Shay!