What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

The single 'Angels' is grand but by no means the stand out track on the album. I can see why people don't like it, though. It is very much stepped in electronic music, whereas the previous album was really R&B. So, a lot of the criticisms of 'not going anywhere' that would apply to a fair chunk of 21st electronic music are levelled at the album, which I can understand but disagree with. I think the songs do go places.

It is more subtle an album than the last (yes, somehow they managed it) and will take a few listens to really appreciate it, but on my first listen i thought it was really rather good.

I'm reserving my judgement on Coexist, haven't given it enough plays yet. Listening to it right now for the third time.

In my mind they are primarily an album band. You have to listen to the whole album as an entity. Judging them on single output is rather futile as the majority of the time the singles are remixed and reworked by other artists.

Tea_and_Symphony_-_An_Asylum_for_the_Musically_Insane.jpg

This Birmingham group consisted of core members Jeff Daw, James Langston, and Nigel Phillips with this line-up being supplemented by additional musicians as required. They were managed by Jim Simpson whose "Big Bear" agency included a number of other local groups such as Locomotive and later, Black Sabbath. Jim's bands used to be known locally as 'Jim Simpson's Big Bear Follies'. The original Tea & Symphony were basically an acoustic-based group similar to Marc Bolan's 'Tyrannosaurus Rex'.

Tea & Symphony gained a reputation early on, for their strange stage-shows and presentation which included as much theatrical as musical content. They were probably the first local group to perform at Erdington's legendary Mothers club that opened in August of 1968. This internationally famous venue that specialized in booking the top "progressive" groups, was previously known as the Carlton Ballroom where a number of local acts including The Moody Blues had got their start in the early 1960's.

In 1969, Tea & Symphony toured with progressive blues outfit Bakerloo who were from nearby Tamworth in Staffordshire. Both groups were signed to the Harvest Records label in 1969 and Tea & Symphony were able to record under the direction of producer Gus Dudgeon who had previously worked with the famous Nottingham group Ten Years After and would later produce records by Elton John.

The resulting Tea & Symphony album, brilliantly and appropriately titled An Asylum For The Musically Insane certainly lived up to its name and was made up of nine original songs all composed by the group themselves. To describe the recordings as eccentric would be an extreme understatement and reviews in the music press ranged from "brilliant" to "self-indulgent" although the latter is probably a more accurate description.

The album cast aside all commercial considerations with most of the tracks featuring weird vocal arrangements and a largely acoustic backing. Drums on the album were played by Bakerloo member Dave "Clem" Clempson with additional percussion and noises by producer Gus Dudgeon. Most of the songs were composed by Jeff Daw and one of them Armchair Theatre (a reference to the popular U.K. television series) was even put out as a single. The only almost "conventional" song on the album was The Come On which displayed a strong blues influence as well as some brilliant lead guitar.

Brumbeat

Just got the NFL Films box set... I know what I'll be listening to for the next month or so.

And I'll be listening to it tonight in memory of the great Steve Sabol...

Forearm Shiver

Pony Soldiers

75 Seasons Suite (if I'm not mistaken a few cues from this suite were used in the Villa season ticket holders DVD about 5 or so years ago)

muse-2nd-law-artwork5.jpeg

Muse will be streaming their latest album, The 2nd Law, from tonight. The songs are already making their way onto Youtube, so I'm listening to a few now, having already heard 'Madness' and 'Unsustainable' (the latter of which I like very much; I think it's an interesting direction for the band to go in).

Agreed Si, a real musos band too, never really given the credit they deserved partly because Andy Partridge has the worst case of stage fright known to man,so they were never really promoted properly

You have inspired me to play English Settlement Whilst I build record shelves from that Swedish furniture shop

muse-2nd-law-artwork5.jpeg

Muse will be streaming their latest album, The 2nd Law, from tonight. The songs are already making their way onto Youtube, so I'm listening to a few now, having already heard 'Madness' and 'Unsustainable' (the latter of which I like very much; I think it's an interesting direction for the band to go in).

Am loving the track 'Supremacy'. An electro-rock thumping track with hints of Zepellin, Bond themes and a nod to ELO. And Survival, which I thought a poor effort when I first heard it, actually sounds good and a grower when heard in the context of the album. And the boy Wolstenholme gets to warble on 'Save Me' and 'Liquid State'.

Â