What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Am loving the track 'Supremacy'. An electro-rock thumping track with hints of Zepellin, Bond themes and a nod to ELO. And Survival, which I thought a poor effort when I first heard it, actually sounds good and a grower when heard in the context of the album. And the boy Wolstenholme gets to warble on 'Save Me' and 'Liquid State'.

After listening to the full album, the range of (clear) influences is huge. It's created an extremely varied album, which I think is great, but my one concern would be that it verges on 'mimicking' too many artists/bands, so obvious are many of the influences.

Edit: Sorry if that's the case, Rob! The album is released on various physical formats on Monday, though.

I thought this thread was for c d/ vinyl, not downloads or streams?

Anyhoo, I got this on vinyl today...

CrSqZ.jpg

It's rather good considering Mike Love is involved

Surprisingly good isn't it? I'm off to see them on Friday, hope it's a good one.

How was it?

BTW Mike Love is still a knob

1z4x28k.jpg

Tasavallan Presidentti - S/T

Great Finnish band. Album's from 69.

Here's an instro.

To me they sound like many of the bands in the Vertigo stable around then.

*Note for MM - When they do sing it's in a very acceptable English.

I vaguely remember this lot from back in the day. Them [1] and Wigwam.

[1] I mean "them and Wigwam", not "'Them' and Wigwam". Although I do remember Them as well, obviously. :)

I know absolutely **** all about Tame Impala, but being massively underwhelmed on first listen to an album sometimes means it's a "grower". The ones you love first time often pall later.

• Like 1

I know absolutely **** all about Tame Impala, but being massively underwhelmed on first listen to an album sometimes means it's a "grower". The ones you love first time often pall later.

I felt underwhelmed by every Beta Band album upon first listen but even now they are still some of my favourite albums of all time. The same goes for I am Kloot as well .

I thought this thread was for c d/ vinyl, not downloads or streams?

Anyhoo, I got this on vinyl today...

CrSqZ.jpg

It's rather good considering Mike Love is involved

Surprisingly good isn't it? I'm off to see them on Friday, hope it's a good one.

How was it?

BTW Mike Love is still a knob

It was excellent, although Wembley Arena is about as soulless a venue as I've ever been to.

Brian was in good voice and seemed to enjoy it, as was Al. Mike was **** embarrassing though, absolutely zero stagecraft and comes across as a creepy clearing in the woods (funny that...). His vocals were also poor, but then he was never the greatest was he.

The backing band was predominantly the same as the one that supported Brian for the Smile tour I think. They were excellent, totally carried the show. Decent setlist too, not just the hits.

I hope so, I've listened to it a couple more times, though it's definitely not as good as their first which is up there as one of my favourite albums ever.

I think you might just about like these, Mike.

On 10/5/2012 at 17:16, troon_villan said:

Why would you think that?

The thread is to see which albums are valued to the extent that they are considered worthy of legitimate purchase.

Edited by Xann

The thread is too see which albums are valued to the extent that they are considered worthy of legitimate purchase.

Are you saying if you listen to a legitimate stream of an album either via a band's website or Spotify then your opinion of the album isn't welcome in this thread?

This area has got very grey.

Legitimate downloads, that you've actually decided to buy, not something you're listening to as part of a blanket service.

If the band are deliberately giving an album away, fair enough.

Â