What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

What? New Anathema was a let down? Just as I was about to pick it up :lol:.

Well, your mileage may vary. I came to it via the Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson/K-Scope Records route, and the customer reviews on Amazon were almost uniformly positive - to the point of "best album of the last fifty years" level of enthusiasm. The descriptions - melodic progressive rock with strings - sounded right up my street, and I was really expecting something special.

But, while it is certainly the sort of thing I like, I found it to be mostly poor material disguised in massive overproduction. Every track sounds the same - medium-paced, arpeggieted acoustic guitar riff, over-busy drumming, cliched lyrics, histrionic vocals masquerading as "passionate", all drowned in syrupy strings. Pretty awful, TBH.

You can have my copy if you like.

Just when I was about to ask you to check out their previous album, you described it to a tee :lol: On second thought, I might just like this new one.

Btw, Steven Wilson helped produce the previous record and it could certainly be heard. He also said it was one of the best albums he's ever been a part of so maybe you might like it.

2en0xah.jpg

Faust were capable of spellbinding delicate beauty.

They could also unleash a sonic attack that would stun a moose.

Electronic, electric, acoustic, Rock, Folk, classical and deeply experimental. It might be a fraction of a second, it might be 10 minutes plus.

It won't sit in the background, it demands attention - even if it is to turn it off. :D

Metallica_-_S%26M_cover.jpg

For the first time straight through in about a decade... probably has to be considered the high-point for the band (the Napster thing was about a year after this was recorded and six months after release; then Hetfield went into rehab...).

CrystalCastlesIII600g061112.jpg

Latest Crystal Castles album. By Jove, it's good (erm, if you like that sort of thing, definitely not everyone's cup of tea). Sort of a 'Vangelis does noise-rock via mid-90's balearic trance' aesthetic.

Now if you'll excuse me, having typed the preceding sentence I have to go and kill myself immediately. :thumb:

Album highlights...

Â