• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Whoever it is, they need to be backed, the abuse Houllier got before he even set foot in VP was an embarrassment.

We should be showing how we support whoever is in charge and give them a fair crack.

The internet seems to be making our fans act like plonkers more and more these days.

I'm sorry but I'm tired of reading this as its simply not true.

The vast majority of the fans whatever they thought about the choice of Houllier were after he was appointed generally happy which suggests they were ready to support him as the below poll result from after his appointment shows below.

hpoll.png

This notion that a large number of fans were never willing to give him a chance is simply untrue, he had peoples good will but he lost it and that was down to his decisions and his actions.

Despite what people say now about various managerial options I honestly believe whoever is appointed the vast majority will once again put aside previously held views and give the manager a fair chance.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the games begin....

Darren Bent: Let's get Carlo

DARREN Bent has excitedly thrown his full support behind Villa’s bold pursuit of Carlo Ancelotti after receiving a ringing endorsement from Chelsea’s stars.

Bent believes Randy Lerner would be making a major statement about the club’s ambitions if he can tempt the sacked Stamford Bridge boss to Villa.

John Terry, Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole highly recommended Ancelotti to Bent after the record signing sounded them out during England duty over the weekend.

Bent regards Villa as a “humongous” football club with every right to chase the Italian, a four-times European Cup winner as player and manager with AC Milan.

Lerner made contact with Ancelotti’s representatives last week and is waiting for a definitive response about the 51-year-old’s feeling about Villa’s vacancy.

Bent’s £18-24 million signing had an uplifting effect in January and he reckons landing a big-name boss could restore the feelgood factor this summer.

Chelsea’s England stars had nothing but praise for Ancelotti, who was sacked last month despite winning a league and cup double in his first season a year ago.

“I have spoken to a couple of the Chelsea guys and they loved him,” said Bent.

“They thought he was brilliant and if he’s a good coach that’s only going to help.

“The Chelsea boys have just said he’s brilliant. Ashley Cole said to me that he loved him. He said he’s a really, really good manager.

“Obviously when you’re at a club like that you don’t produce the goods sometimes.

“But, even if it’s just for one season, you get the bullet.

“It just depends on whether or not we can get Ancelotti, but if we do get him everyone will be excited about the way forward.

“People might think Aston Villa Football Club can’t get these kind of managers, but at the end of the day Villa is a massive football club – it’s humongous.

“If we can go out and get Ancelotti it shows the capabilities of the club and the direction the club’s going in. It’s exciting to be part of that.”

Bent has spent much of the past week eagerly scouring media reports for an update on the manager situation since news of Gerard Houllier’s departure broke.

The 27-year-old is now off on holiday to Portugal and America for most of June after ending his eventful season playing in England’s 2-2 draw with Switzerland.

And Bent has called on the Villa Park faithful to give the new manager their backing and patience whether it is Ancelotti or another candidate.

“Every day I am checking the news and speaking to people to see who it’s going to be, but you just don’t know who it’s going to be,” he added.

“Mark Hughes was supposed to be in the running, but he has gone out now and I couldn’t tell you who it’s going to be.

“I couldn’t even tell you who is in the frame now because it’s so up in the air.

“I’m sure whoever the new manager is the fans will give him time.

“It’s a big, big job to take and I’m sure the fans will be behind him whoever he is.

http://tinyurl.com/Lets-Get-Carlo :D:D

the problem the board now have is that, even tho mclaren might do a good job (i dont think he will, but will always reserve judgement), the fans are so against his appointment that were the board to appoint him would really create a revolt from fans for picking someone they dont want. not saying they should just look at the polls and base their choice on them, but they need to seriously bear in mind the number of fans that dont want him

McClaren did an average job at Boro, awful job with England, excellent job with Twente and awful job at Wolfsberg. Hence not good enough.

Hughes did an excellent job with Wales, excellent job with Blackburn, average job at Citeh, good job with Fulham. Hence worth a shot.

Coyle and done excellent jobs at Burnley and Bolton, but im not sure he's ready yet.

Moyes has done a good job at Preston and an excellent job with Everton. I would love him here, i just dont think it will happen.

Martinez has done good enough with Swansea and Wigan, but its way to soon at the moment.

Benitez is most experienced, but i feel Fergie has cracked him.

So Hughes or Moyes for me.

My thinking exactly. Thanks.

Edit: If not Carlo :D

Timothy abraham wrote on twitter.manager could be appointed by weekend if not sooner

Well.....this is sooner and my blood pressure can't take much more. Every time somebody goes all ITK, I get all twitchy and nervous!!

Steve McClaren is NOT the leading contender for #avfc job. See today's Birmingham Mail for full story

Just logged in to post that too.

@MatKendrick

Mat Kendrick

Steve McClaren is NOT the leading contender for #avfc job. See today's Birmingham Mail for full story

Tease...the selling of newspaper business I guess

I told you yesterday, Mat Kendrick knows a lot more than he's actually letting on to. He threw the Steve McClaren so the rest of the press bought it and guess what they did.

Since winning the old European Cup - a truly fantastic achievement it must be said - Villa have continued to underwhelm with the only the odd glimmer of hope during the periods of Graham Taylor, David Platt and Tony Daley and the early days of John Gregory.

http://bit.ly/kk0a7S

Bit hard on Big Fat Ron this article!

i thought that too, but other than playing down the last 30 years efforts, the article does make a valid overall point in my opinion, despite how unpalatable that may be for most of us to accept.

although it perhaps appears to be a veiled attack on us i think it is actually more of a good summary of all that is wrong with the premier league and football in general.

if it had been written only slightly differently it could really focus on how absurd the league has become when a huge club like aston villa have been pushed out of the billionaires club. as a result, they now cant attract quality managers to the club because every manager in the country knows he will never be able to pierce the bullet proof bubble that uefa has created around the full time members of the "european super league" as it has effectively now become.

I love Laursen as much as the next bloke, but why do people want him as manager?

I never understand the shout for former players to be appointed before they've had any sort of managerial experience or tests.

Maybe take Laursen on as a coach, or even a number 2 if that's the direction he wants to go in.

But throw him straight in as manager? No thanks.