Italian Football

Troglodyte

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

I'd love to see Italian football return to the heights is was at 10 years ago, and earlier to that. Looks like it's doing just that.

I’m not sure AV - it seems to be new MLS where players can extend their careers a few extra years for good money.

look at the likes of the ageing Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo and even Ashley Young amongst many are still highly influential in the league, whilst (maybe not Ronaldo) not many could last a season in the Premier League now. 

don’t get me wrong, I used to love Serie A when they had the best imports from across Europe and some cracking homegrown talent. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I’m not sure AV - it seems to be new MLS where players can extend their careers a few extra years for good money.

look at the likes of the ageing Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo and even Ashley Young amongst many are still highly influential in the league, whilst (maybe not Ronaldo) not many could last a season in the Premier League now. 

don’t get me wrong, I used to love Serie A when they had the best imports from across Europe and some cracking homegrown talent. 

I'm not sure there's a league where Ronaldo and Zlatan still wouldn't have an impact. To compare Serie A to MLS, a league that's not even quite to the level of the Championship, because they're doing well there seems like quite a stretch.

• Like 1

Yep i think its way people say the Bundesliga or Spanish league is poor. Problem is they dont have the money of the Premier League and need to be creative with signings and how football is played. Atalanta currently play the best football in Europe as shown in Italy and Champs League, Lazio before lockdown were just as good. Napoli beat Liverpool this season I don't think Liverpool had a shot in Naples. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I'm not sure there's a league where Ronaldo and Zlatan still wouldn't have an impact. To compare Serie A to MLS, a league that's not even quite to the level of the Championship, because they're doing well there seems like quite a stretch.

Maybe a little bit of a stretch but it’s certainly becoming the European league of choice to extend a career at. 

I know Ronaldo is the exception but the vast majority of others couldn’t play in the Prem effectively nowadays 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Maybe a little bit of a stretch but it’s certainly becoming the European league of choice to extend a career at. 

I know Ronaldo is the exception but the vast majority of others couldn’t play in the Prem effectively nowadays 

I bet you'd feel different if Zlatan had been wearing a Villa shirt this year. 😉

• Haha 1

Poch to Juve then?

It's an interesting period now. Likes of Chellini, Bonucci, Cuadrado all old now so they need to rebuild their defence a fair bit and Alex Sandro is nowhere near as good as he was 3-4 years ago. Upfront Higuain obviously has no business starting a CL knock out game.

They still have a core though of De Ligt-Bentacur-Rabiot-Dybala that is decent for new manager to work with and Ronaldo will be there one more year.

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Poch to Juve then?

It's an interesting period now. Likes of Chellini, Bonucci, Cuadrado all old now so they need to rebuild their defence a fair bit and Alex Sandro is nowhere near as good as he was 3-4 years ago. Upfront Higuain obviously has no business starting a CL knock out game.

They still have a core though of De Ligt-Bentacur-Rabiot-Dybala that is decent for new manager to work with and Ronaldo will be there one more year.

Kulusevski coming in, hopefully he can go straight into the team. IMO he already better than Federico Bernardeschi

• Like 1

Bernardeschi is just a squad player who's started more than he should've this season. If Douglas Costa could actually stay fit for five minutes I'd have him and Dybala either side of Ronaldo. Midfield is a little more tricky with Khedira never fit and old and Matuidi getting on aswell. Rabiot and Ramsey are o.k but neither have quite pushed on when starting so think they'll be some redevelopment in midfield aswell.

Next season could be really interesting if Atalanta can keep their squad together and Inter Milan don't have a meltdown with Conte simmering a bit currently.

Ronaldo is Ronaldo, and Dybala has a chance to be great, but it's startling watching this Juventus team and comparing it to previous versions. Kind of reminds me of a rich man's version of Villa after MON. A lot of aging players on high wages without much quality depth behind it. They've adopted this philosophy of signing one superstar a summer and hoping the rest just sort of figures itself out, and it's not working. There needs to be a rebuild of sorts. Not rip out the studs and start over, but maybe some new floorboards and a fresh coat of paint.

As for the reports Juventus wants Pep Guardiola....good luck with that!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Ronaldo is Ronaldo, and Dybala has a chance to be great, but it's startling watching this Juventus team and comparing it to previous versions. Kind of reminds me of a rich man's version of Villa after MON. A lot of aging players on high wages without much quality depth behind it. They've adopted this philosophy of signing one superstar a summer and hoping the rest just sort of figures itself out, and it's not working. There needs to be a rebuild of sorts. Not rip out the studs and start over, but maybe some new floorboards and a fresh coat of paint.

As for the reports Juventus wants Pep Guardiola....good luck with that!

It'll be Pochettino I'd have thought, he should be capable of the rebuild you talk about.

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Thought it would’ve been Poch. Nice surprise. 

I think pochs stature is a bit overstated in england

That's a few of the top table clubs who have appointed a new manager since he's left spurs with him not getting a sniff

On 08/08/2020 at 14:30, A'Villan said:

I'd love to see Italian football return to the heights is was at 10 years ago, and earlier to that. Looks like it's doing just that.

Why would you think that? The best team has just been knocked out of the champions league by a French team.  Ok Atalanta are in the quarters but have a tough match there. I think the league is in decline

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Why would you think that? The best team has just been knocked out of the champions league by a French team.  Ok Atalanta are in the quarters but have a tough match there. I think the league is in decline

Atalanta have been the best team in Italy since it restarted. Juventus were also ripped off by a terrible VAR call while the best team in England got knocked out by conceding 4  to a defensive team 😉

Same amount of Premier League teams as Serie A in the quarters

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Â