Italian Football

Troglodyte

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Atalanta are great to watch 

They are how football should be played. Still genuinely think they had a shot at winning Champions League in 2020 without Covid and the manager recovers fallen talents

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They are how football should be played. Still genuinely think they had a shot at winning Champions League in 2020 without Covid and the manager recovers fallen talents

Very impressed with them . Basically bossing sporting on their own ground.

On 06/03/2024 at 19:00, Rugeley Villa said:

Very impressed with them . Basically bossing sporting on their own ground.

And they have rebuilt it too, which is fairly unusual in Italy as most stadiums are still stuck in the 1980/90s.

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Second round in a row an Italian upper mid table team has smashed a team from the greatest league ever

And the Italian teams are flying in the Champions League too.... oh wait....

7 hours ago, villa89 said:

And the Italian teams are flying in the Champions League too.... oh wait....

Strength of a league is not really based on the financially pumped Champions League but Europa and Conference

Italy have probably won the seasons co efficient already

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Strength of a league is not really based on the financially pumped Champions League but Europa and Conference

That doesn't really make sense to me but I would agree that the premier league is over rated. English teams are handicapped in Europe due to the intensity of regular league games and the amount of games they play. Other leagues do their best to support the teams in Europe but in England it's the opposite. Lille have this weekend off and we have to play Arsenal away on Sunday. At the back end the season it takes a huge toll. 

17 minutes ago, villa89 said:

That doesn't really make sense to me but I would agree that the premier league is over rated. English teams are handicapped in Europe due to the intensity of regular league games and the amount of games they play. Other leagues do their best to support the teams in Europe but in England it's the opposite. Lille have this weekend off and we have to play Arsenal away on Sunday. At the back end the season it takes a huge toll. 

The PL is overrated on the basis that anyone can beat anyone because everyone is good, that's simply not true,  it's because of sloppiness, inconsistency, moments of madness and refs 

That's why city are so dominant, they make the least mistakes 

But that's why the PL is more exciting in general too

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I don't think that's right.

The season coefficient basically judges teams based on the number of games they play and Italy have benefited by being "more poor" than expected i.e: AC Milan fall out of the CL in 3rd place... they get bonus games in the Europa League.  Roma finish 2nd in their group behind Slavia Prague by being poor... they get bonus games in the Europa League.  It's a benefit to a nation having teams which are not good enough to really challenge but also good enough to beat lower nation sides and therefore having a lot of games.

Italy had 8 teams in Europe this season, England had 8 teams in Europe this season, Germany had 7 teams in Europe this season.  Italy had 2 sides top a group (Atalanta, Fiorentina), England had 6 (Arsenal, Man City, West Ham, Brighton, Liverpool, Villa) and Germany had 3 (Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen).  But, more crucially, Italy had a side finish 3rd in their CL group whereas England had 0 (2 came 4th; Man Utd and Newcastle) and Germany had 0 (all 3 sides qualified from their groups)...

...but then Italy also had 3 runners-up in the European finals last season (Inter lost to Man City in the CL, Roma lost to Sevilla in the EL and Fiorentina lost to West Ham in the ECL).

Perfect storm to get a strong coefficient, I'd guess, but not really a judge on how strong a league is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Really impressed by Serie A lately. Seems to me the quality is big improvement over last year. So many cool players! Taty. Scamacca. Chiesa. Ivanovic? Spelling. 😬

I'd like to see Osimhen in a better team. (i.e. Villa ;) ) 

I feel he would do very well in the PL. 

• Like 1

Â