Italian Football

Troglodyte

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Atalanta have been the best team in Italy since it restarted. Juventus were also ripped off by a terrible VAR call while the best team in England got knocked out by conceding 4  to a defensive team 😉

Same amount of Premier League teams as Serie A in the quarters

Juve shouldn't have to rely on a VAR decision against a French team that finished 7th in their league. its a decent league but I dont see a resurgence. 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Juve shouldn't have to rely on a VAR decision against a French team that finished 7th in their league. its a decent league but I dont see a resurgence. 

Well the French league never finished and the VAR meant that Lyon had an away goal to defend 

• Like 1

On 09/08/2020 at 01:21, theboyangel said:

I’m not sure AV - it seems to be new MLS where players can extend their careers a few extra years for good money.

look at the likes of the ageing Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo and even Ashley Young amongst many are still highly influential in the league, whilst (maybe not Ronaldo) not many could last a season in the Premier League now. 

don’t get me wrong, I used to love Serie A when they had the best imports from across Europe and some cracking homegrown talent. 

Easily getting back to what was, it's not there yet, but mark my words, Serie A is on it's way back.

Look at Inter's squad right now, insane on paper, sure some of those players are tail-end of their career or have gone through some bad form, no doubt about that.

However each at their best and coached well, and that squad could win the CL, I believe it's been built to contend for that soon enough.

Name me a PL team with the squad quality and depth that Inter currently has outside European placing, even the top four?

Juventus, anpther CL contender. Easily as strong as any other European club for quality throughout the squad.

Then outside of those two there's a number of clubs with squads that can and will compete in Europe.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2020 at 01:14, PaulC said:

Why would you think that? The best team has just been knocked out of the champions league by a French team.  Ok Atalanta are in the quarters but have a tough match there. I think the league is in decline

It has been in decline big-time. I think it's going to have a resurgence in the coming next few years.

Upsets happen, Juventus nearly overturned the deficit. The French league isn't as bad some make out and Lyon has some okay players.

11 hours ago, A'Villan said:

It has been in decline big-time. I think it's going to have a resurgence in the coming next few years.

Upsets happen, Juventus nearly overturned the deficit. The French league isn't as bad some make out and Lyon has some okay players.

No the French league isn't that bad

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason the presidents/high ranking people of the 20 Serie A clubs decided to meet in person ahead of the new season rather than having zoom meeting or similar and now it turns out that Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis is sick with Covid-19. Apparently he showed symptoms but blamed it on bad oysters he had while on holiday so he went anyway.

So now it's full panic stations among the club owners, especially since a fair few among them are elderly people. De Laurentiis is 71...

Not just footballers who are morons.

• 2 weeks later...

A Norwegian team called Bodø Glimt have played some very good football this season in a very fluid 433. They are topping the table with 18 matches played and 16 wins, to draws. 

They got some players that are worthy of scouting. Especially a winger called Hauge. 

They are meeting AC Milan this week. Should be a good indication or how good they are, or how bad the Norwegian league is. Or even the state of AC Milan. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

Roma handed 3-0 defeat to Verona due to admin error over Diawara

AS Roma have seen their opening-day 0-0 draw with Verona turned into a 3-0 defeat due to an administration error, following a decision the Italian sporting justice.

Amadou Diawara, who was replaced in the 89th minute of the match by Gonzalo Villar, had been included in the beginning-of-season 25-man squad list as an under-22 player. However, the former Napoli midfielder turned 23 on July 17.

"The sporting justice has read the information relative to the Verona vs. Roma match and having considered that Roma fielded a player who wasn't included in the '25-man squad list' present on Sept. 14 at 12.14 p.m. CET, despite being 'over 22' is in violation of point eight of the Italian FA's official N83/A statement from Nov. 20, 2014, which was later modified on Jun. 21, 2018, has decided to implement the sanction in accordance with point nine of said statement and therefore penalises Roma with the sporting punishment of a 3-0 defeat for the match," a statement from the sporting justice read.

Sources have told ESPN, Roma will appeal the decision on the grounds they still had places available and were not trying to create space to include more players on the list.

Furthermore, despite having been born in Guinea, Diawara moved to Italy to play for Lega Pro side San Marino at the age of 17 in 2004 and therefore is classed as a homegrown player.

There is precedent in Serie A when, in August 2016, Sassuolo saw their 2-1 victory over Pescara reversed to a 3-0 defeat due to a similar admin error.

On that occasion, Sassuolo fielded new arrival Antonio Ragusa for the final 20 minutes of the match, but they had already submitted their 25-man squad before the signing was made official.

Roma finished last season in fifth place and face reigning champions Juventus at home in their second match of the Serie A campaign.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/as-roma/story/4187334/roma-handed-3-0-defeat-to-verona-due-to-admin-error-over-diawara

Milan looking good this season I feel.  It's a squad on the up and with Ibra/Hernandez/Donnarumma I can see them tipping the CL spots. 

Atalanta have lost a few players, Lazio - will Immobile do as well again, Roma slipping down the order.. I can see them making top 3. 

Â