Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Are sunroofs still a thing in cars? I mean the opening ones (electric or wind tilt or slide) as opposed to the fixed panoramic ones. I miss them as the last 4 cars I've had haven't had them. I just get the feeling they're not popular anymore?

Yes you can still get them.  Mainly on SUV's I think. 

With air-conditioning I think people don't tend to bother, unless you've just got money to piss away they're a big cost option. 

Just now, Paddywhack said:

How is it that Jamie Redknapp is so handsome yet looks just like his dad who has a ballsack for a head?

Give him 15 years. You won't be able to tell 2 photos of them at that age apart. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

How is it that Jamie Redknapp is so handsome yet looks just like his dad who has a ballsack for a head?

You know Harry and Frank Lampard Senior were married to twin sisters, there is always the possibility the husbands and wives got a bit confused one drunken evening ...

[There is definitely no truth in this rumour I just started]

• Haha 1

On 18/04/2021 at 20:42, Xela said:

Are sunroofs still a thing in cars? I mean the opening ones (electric or wind tilt or slide) as opposed to the fixed panoramic ones. I miss them as the last 4 cars I've had haven't had them. I just get the feeling they're not popular anymore?

You can get opening panoramic roofs on JLR cars now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

Imagine it. panoramic roof open. Wind in your hair. Beautiful view of the sky. I can't think of a more pleasant way to spend my time waiting for the breakdown company to arrive.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was going to make a joke about opening the panoramic roof on my Range Rover and then not being able to close it, but I see @Davkaus has beaten me :D 

• Haha 1

This caravan park is up the road from me and we can see it when we go for a bit of a walk.

I do often wonder, if I was a tourist and I’d booked a week in a ‘van, would I be happy on that front row?

(ignore the pointy hand, that’s not relevant, I just nicked someone else’s pic)

spacer.png

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

This caravan park is up the road from me and we can see it when we go for a bit of a walk.

I do often wonder, if I was a tourist and I’d booked a week in a ‘van, would I be happy on that front row?

spacer.png

Not in a million years would I stay on that front row.  I would say their clubhouse only has a year or 2 as well. 

I was on holiday in Norfolk just after a whole line of homes went into the sea. Looking at what was left and the coastal erosion, or the speed of the coastal erosion, I wouldn’t be living there now. 
I lived, I say lived, I worked in a holiday camp for a couple of years in the 80s. I returned a few years back and had a wander round the site. The path to the village was gone and an entire row of chalets. 
A cliff property is fantastic to have but be it Barry or Norfolk, the closer you get, the bigger send off for your money. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

Not trying to be funny, but how are the council not involved? The site is clearly completely unsafe.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not trying to be funny, but how are the council not involved? The site is clearly completely unsafe.

I’ve just checked out the websites and they’ve changed the business model.

The bit further along (still on the edge of the cliff) is still holiday lets and almost fully booked for this summer so you’ve missed that boat. The area that looks more ‘exciting’ that’s now reclassified as a residential home estate, and doesn’t appear to be for letting. I can only imagine it must be being wound down, but people need somewhere else to live.

So you can still live there, but you can’t rent one.

From the website for the one further along still trading as a campsite:

You can find us perched on the South Welsh coast - not far from Barry

Nature-lovers will love the easy access to the beautiful Fontygary bay

I mean, you can’t argue with that under trades descriptions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

I'd be on that slip pile, looking for fossils so bad.. 🦖🦕

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

220 million years, late triassic footprints just laying around the place - these are directly across the road from the dump, sorry Vale Recycling Centre as we now have to call it, because they’ve gentrified the dump.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Absolutely fantastic - I adore things like that.  Off to Dorset/Somerset for a couple of holidays later this year and will be fossil hunting. 

For my birthday today, my 6 year old bought me a Spinosaurus tooth (or most likely Baryonyx, or another spinosaurid, crocodilian reptile type creature) was absolutely buzzing! :lol: 

100-90 million years old :) 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Absolutely fantastic - I adore things like that.  Off to Dorset/Somerset for a couple of holidays later this year and will be fossil hunting. 

For my birthday today, my 6 year old bought me a Spinosaurus tooth (or most likely Baryonyx, or another spinosaurid, crocodilian reptile type creature) was absolutely buzzing! :lol: 

100-90 million years old :) 

Happy birthday. 
Also off to Dorset later this year and my daughter will be doing some fossil hunting too. 

• Thanks 1

Dorset is the place (obviously you already know that), it’s a lot tougher finding anything around here beyond the usual devil’s toenails and Crinoids. There’s rock absolutely full of crinoid that you don’t see until you get your eye in, and then you realise it’s literally all crinoid. 

The decent footprints have been cut out by the museum and they’re on display now, and fairly recently someone discovered an entirely new dinosaur which is also now in the national museum.

It’s funny, people become blasé about it, you can walk across the road from the dump and literally walk in dino footprints, but people rarely bother.

Completely unrelated, but sort of tenuously linked, one of Buffalo Bill’s elephants is buried under the local football pitch. I’d like to think that one day way off in the future, that’ll really throw a curve ball in to someone’s archaeological dig.

• Haha 1

Â