Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

13 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Absolutely fantastic - I adore things like that.  Off to Dorset/Somerset for a couple of holidays later this year and will be fossil hunting. 

For my birthday today, my 6 year old bought me a Spinosaurus tooth (or most likely Baryonyx, or another spinosaurid, crocodilian reptile type creature) was absolutely buzzing! :lol: 

100-90 million years old :) 

52807157_Screenshot2021-04-22at11_19_08.png.c3c711458d3250c1b347a5bef6de92c7.png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Happy birthday. 
Also off to Dorset later this year and my daughter will be doing some fossil hunting too. 

Have a google because some beaches will have things others won't :thumb: 

Also, you can check if there's been any recent rock slides, which is the prime way of finding anything significant these days! 

I hope you've all read about the recently discovered giant footprints up in Yorkshire?  Biggest (carnivore) footprint ever found on these isles - about 2/3m high and 8/9m long! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

For my birthday today, my 6 year old bought me a Spinosaurus tooth (or most likely Baryonyx, or another spinosaurid, crocodilian reptile type creature) was absolutely buzzing! :lol: 

Brilliant. I'm a big dino fan myself. In another life I'd have been a paleontologist.

EDIT : Oh and yes, happy birthday :thumb:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It looks like a couple of them have already slid into the sea :D

"Breathtaking sea views"

I'd be holding my breath as well if I was in one of them! 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

The bit further along (still on the edge of the cliff) is still holiday lets and almost fully booked for this summer so you’ve missed that boat. The area that looks more ‘exciting’ that’s now reclassified as a residential home estate, and doesn’t appear to be for letting. I can only imagine it must be being wound down, but people need somewhere else to live.

So you can still live there, but you can’t rent one.

I remember seeing a village/town in mid Wales, near Barmouth I think, that will be swallowed by the sea at some point. Rising oceans will take it and nothing people can do about it. People are still buying there on the basis they can get a cheap 'holiday home' and get enough use of it before its gone. 

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Absolutely fantastic - I adore things like that.  Off to Dorset/Somerset for a couple of holidays later this year and will be fossil hunting. 

Happy Birthday dino breath. 

Have you been to the Isle of Wight? Thats ground zero for dinosaur prints/fossils in the UK, plus they have a dinosaur museum. 

Edited by Xela
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Xela said:

I remember seeing a village/town in mid Wales, near Barmouth I think, that will be swallowed by the sea at some point. Rising oceans will take it and nothing people can do about it. People are still buying there on the basis they can get a cheap 'holiday home' and get enough use of it before its gone. 

But not before posing on the front page of the local rag with a fake frown moaning that the local authority won't spend a few futile millions to save their home. 

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Blimey, for a big birthday like that, I'd expect something more impressive. I didn't think you were that old. 

Is he catching you up now MJM? 

• Haha 1

(Maybe everyone else already heard of this?) but talking about dinosaurs, is this true?

Dinosaurs likely didn't roar, new research suggests

'What sound did a dinosaur make?

[...]

If not terrifying roars, then what?

Think more along the lines of a crocodile or a goose.

[...]

How do we know what dinosaurs sounded like?

That's where the latest research comes in. The team behind it found a fossil back in 1992 in Antarctica of Vegavis iaai, a duck and goose ancestor that lived 66 million years ago, during the time of the dinosaurs.

In 2013, they discovered this fossil has the oldest known representation of a voice box ever discovered.

From there, the team figured what sound its anatomy could make. 

"The evolutionary relationships of the new species [V. iaai] and the syrinx remains themselves [told us] that this animal would have made sounds most similar to those of living ducks and geese," she said.'

from: https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/dinosaur-sounds-honk-growl-torah-kachur-1.3803212

• Like 2

Whenever I put my things on the conveyor belt at the supermarket, I always wonder if I’m the first person to ever buy those exact 25 or so items. My wife always thinks someone is bound to have done.

Last night I suggested I might be the first person to ever have a tuna-mayo sandwich with a side of brie and pickled beetroot for my tea. She looked at me like I was an imbecile. 

Edited by Paddywhack
I spelt brie like James Bree.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Last night I suggested I might be the first person to ever have a tuna-mayo sandwich with a side of bree and pickled beetroot for my tea. She looked at me like I was an imbecile. 

Well she'd have been correct if that was her thoughts because it's Brie and you should have posted this in the Gravy thread 😂

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well she'd have been correct if that was her thoughts because it's Brie and you should have posted this in the Gravy thread 😂

Bugger, I thought I’d got the edit in before anyone noticed.

• Haha 1

On 22/04/2021 at 22:56, HanoiVillan said:

(Maybe everyone else already heard of this?) but talking about dinosaurs, is this true?

Dinosaurs likely didn't roar, new research suggests

'What sound did a dinosaur make?

[...]

If not terrifying roars, then what?

Think more along the lines of a crocodile or a goose.

[...]

How do we know what dinosaurs sounded like?

That's where the latest research comes in. The team behind it found a fossil back in 1992 in Antarctica of Vegavis iaai, a duck and goose ancestor that lived 66 million years ago, during the time of the dinosaurs.

In 2013, they discovered this fossil has the oldest known representation of a voice box ever discovered.

From there, the team figured what sound its anatomy could make. 

"The evolutionary relationships of the new species [V. iaai] and the syrinx remains themselves [told us] that this animal would have made sounds most similar to those of living ducks and geese," she said.'

from: https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/dinosaur-sounds-honk-growl-torah-kachur-1.3803212

This should go in the trivia thread, but as we're on the subject of dinosaurs...

Scientists estimate that the total number of T-Rex that ever lived to be around 2.6 billion!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

39 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Whenever I put my things on the conveyor belt at the supermarket, I always wonder if I’m the first person to ever buy those exact 25 or so items. My wife always thinks someone is bound to have done. 

I have a similar, but more limited speculation. I dress in classic 'old bloke casual' style - 99% of the time it's jeans & t-shirts. But I own several pairs of jeans and dozens of t-shirts, pants and socks. I have no preferred combination, so what I put on in the morning is pretty randomised. And I wonder - how often does the exact same combination of socks, pants, jeans and shirt (plus maybe jumper/fleece) repeat itself? Are there any configurations that have not yet happened, or only happened once? 

Boring Thread fodder, I know. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Last night I suggested I might be the first person to ever have a tuna-mayo sandwich with a side of brie and pickled beetroot for my tea. She looked at me like I was an imbecile. 

When's the baby due? 

• Haha 2

Â