Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Is my kids generation the last generations who, when pushing a toy car, will sound "brummmmmm"? 

No because they'll start installing cars with fake Brummmmm noises

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Is my kids generation the last generations who, when pushing a toy car, will sound "brummmmmm"? 

I've always liked it that cars make the sound of the spiritual home of cars. 

aaahxmk7oq961.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I've always liked it that cars make the sound of the spiritual home of cars. 

aaahxmk7oq961.jpg

Resides in Bourton-on-the-Water if memory serves. 

• Like 1

How many people born in the last 20/25 years can appreciate this (which pops up in my head way to often) :

And how many in general know it's 'golaco' and not 'goal lazio' (took me way to long yo find that one out). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/03/2021 at 10:17, BOF said:

An actual bona fide thing I often wonder is ... what is humanity no longer able to do that we used to be able to do. Lost technologies, processes and knowledge. We often assume that human knowledge is always cumulative, always growing and never retreating, and for the most part it is. But there have been plenty of times when, for various reasons, we've completely lost skills and have still yet to re-discover how we did it.

I find that fascinating and a little sad.

I know we've only recently re-discovered how to make Roman concrete after nearly 2,000 years. Concrete used in the construction of sea walls and jetties etc which for some reason never eroded from sea water and we couldn't figure out why, or reproduce the effect (spoiler : turns out part of the secret was they used sea water for the mix, meaning the sea salt didn't need to equalise/leach into the structure).

I also remember seeing a very elaborate jug or vase in a museum in a documentary and the narrator commenting that no-one has any idea how they would go about re-making it if it broke, because all the processes have been lost. I found that remarkable - both that they could do that in the past and that we could lose that knowledge.

And of course the more famous example of the Antikythera mechanism which only this past month they think they've figured out how it does what it does, but still have absolutely no idea how on earth they managed to make such a thing back then.

Anyway, here's another example of not being able to do something we used to do, although they're trying their damnedest to bring it back and they do at least in theory have the 'how to', just not the skills or the material, or even the ambition to get anywhere near the original's quality, yet.

Similarly I've often thought about if I was somehow transported back to say medieval times, what would I actually be able to do? 

I would know that all sorts of things would be possible but have absolutely no idea how to make them work. I might be able to explain concepts such as steam power to cleverer people and let them get on with it but myself I could do very little with all my modern knowledge. 

Maybe someone with more hands on skills like Dick Strawbridge would be better to send back in time. 

Edited by sidcow

On 31/03/2021 at 10:35, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

12 months of local individuals litter picking bits of plastic off the beach, followed by one day of car parks being reopened so the mouth breathers do their thing.

I remember being sat in McDonalds once and saw a car over the car park just wind down the window and chuck everything on the floor before driving off.  They were parked right next to the bin anyway, it was almost a deliberately scummy acton, they were probably laughing about it. 

Made my blood boil. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

How many people born in the last 20/25 years can appreciate this (which pops up in my head way to often) :

And how many in general know it's 'golaco' and not 'goal lazio' (took me way to long yo find that one out). 

You learn something new every day, always thought it was Lazio

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

You learn something new every day, always thought it was Lazio

I think it's Portuguese from memory (no idea why that links to Serie A) and means beautiful goal/shot or something. I think they used it as not only sounds great, but does sound like goal lazio which linked to Gascoigne. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

No idea how I never noticed that before. 

Too busy admiring AC Jimbo’s knitwear and smart- casual attire, I guess?  There he was, sipping an espresso, in the sun, reading the Gazetto, making wry asides. Hmmm, continental, isn’t it, y’know...

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

Too busy admiring AC Jimbo’s knitwear and smart- casual attire, I guess?  There he was, sipping an espresso, in the sun, reading the Gazetto, making wry asides. Hmmm, continental, isn’t it, y’know...

The most aspirational piece of TV ever made. The gelatos! The piazzas!

• Like 2

Â